Blue Screens and Graphics Card Problems

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
For awhile now, my computer gets the occasional Blue Screen of Death. Maybe 1 to 2 times a week. Things like "thread stuck in driver", something like "NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL_TO", and a nv4_disp.dll error.

Also, recently, City of Heroes generates ugly square patches when I move around. Other games like the WoW trial I received, and the Sims 2, crash or temporarily lock up. I reinstalled the latest drivers and it's a PCI Nvideo Geforce 6200 Over Clocked card, so it's compatible. What could be the problem?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh damn, I used to have the same problem on my laptop.

It would get them more and more often, and heat up more easily.

It would create artifacts in 3D games. This would happen earlier and earlier in the games, even if there was proper ventilation to keep the laptop cool.

This sounds a lot like that problem I had. I fear that your gfx card might be crapping out and overheating. I don't know what exactly the problem is to make it overheat, but if you have the chance, take your computer apart and clean your card. There might be a lot of dust on it. D:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Used to happen to me as well while watching videos/playing WoW, constantly last summer when I had my GeForce 6600gt.
I think I fixed it by either uninstalling my nvidia drivers completely, then reinstalling the latest driver. Either that, or it stopped when i got my 8600gts in September o_O

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Apparently you get artifacts because of overclocking. So you might want to lower your overclock a bit, stress test it (by that I mean: 2 hours of 3dMark, or something just a graphics intensive), and keep lowering it untill the artifacts dissappear. If they don't, I'm thinking that your GPU crapped out on you and it is broken.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well I fixed the artifacts by downloading a older force ware (or perhaps because I downloaded it in safe mode.

But when I upload a certain, working video (do not know if this is all videos), into Windows Movie Maker and try to preview it, I get a Blue Screen with the error coming from "nv_disp", which is a common type of BSOD I have read.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Did you delete the driver with DriverCleaner, or did you just deinstall it and reinstalled the other one?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sicron said:
Did you delete the driver with DriverCleaner, or did you just deinstall it and reinstalled the other one?
Oh i just reinstalled the new forceware. I've heard of DriverCleaner, but the site says I must pay $10, unless there is some sort of lite version?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ever considering re-installing Windows?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Gryph said:
Ever considering re-installing Windows?
Ehhhhhh, yeah. I've always had the idea of reformatting, or reinstalling windows, but I'm really trying to avoid that. I don't feel like backing up and downloading all my programs again. I have a strong feeling that this is a hardware problem anyway, since all the BSODs stem from a driver loop or something.

🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
ircq_not_less_or_equal

Is Motherboard driver problems.

Try to reinstall those. Still not working? Take off your memory RAM's and put on of them in slot 1. Use the smallest one.

EDIT : Try to do a Memory test. Make sure it's not leaking memory.

IRLQ_not_less_or_equal

Motherboard error. There is not a really fix on this. Had this once. Could not fix it. Happend always before windows was starting.

Also reformatted pc still no luck. Bought a new mobo after a while.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Huh, well, I may have fixed this problem by going to an older forceware version (84.4?) and setting my Geforce 6200 OC down to 300 Mhz for both the Memory and Core clock speeds. So far City of Heroes has not crashed and I have not gotten a blue screen yet.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm afraid it might just be a matter of time before it completely craps out on you, though. I mean, there's a reason it started giving you trouble in the first place. It could still very well be a hardware problem, and down-clocking it will only be a patch solution if that's the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom