Blu Ray

Best answers
I just don't understand how it would be worth it. I've watched a DVD on HDTV and it looked fine to me. A thousand bucks for a single player? Now I remember DVD players were expensive when they first came out but they were no where near a thousand dollars. Though I'll admit I'm yet to see Blu Ray in action but I can't imagine it being that much better than DVD. With the price tag what it's at, I think I'd need more than just a prettier picture. The examples were really terrible.. the Leno one was just awful, the left side looks like what I currently have, whereas the right side looked like a barrel of ass... like a recorded VHS video... only worse.

And why would you ever buy a Blue Ray burner? With that price I could get a few terabytes of storage on a couple hard drives. I can't see BR becoming mainstream until it's players are at least slightly more expensive than DVD as opposed to rediculously more expensive.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's all the same to me. I'm nearsighted enought to watch the movie fine, but miss all that high def sexiness.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sub said:
The second example isn't really fair. Standard Definition TV's don't look that bad.
Of course they don't, it's to show the difference between Standard and High, not what it'll actually look like (impossible without an HD-ready monitor/screen and 1920x1080 res). The 'HD' image has been scaled down to Standard Definition, and the Standard has been reduced equally.

It's been a subject of interest for me recently, trying to find out whether it'll be HD-DVD or BD that gains the upper hand. BD does seem to have all the advantages besides cost, but only time will tell.

Of course, some people are Just. Never. Happy.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
just as a point of interest as well, we just set up the panasonic blu ray player, and it is much better than the samsung we had yesterday, whether that is down to the fact the panasonic screen is better too, could be important, but i dont know.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Technology goes forward, guys, not backwards, and it isn't going to stop as long as there are people who will pay for new things. I do not see what is wrong with improving the visual quality of a movie. I agree that superbit and other high quality DVDs look fine as is, but there is a difference on a high definition TV with high definition content, and whether or not you choose to put down the money for it, it's a notably higher quality which many consider worth paying for. It'll go down in price over the years.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm all for progress. Otherwise we'd be standing still. So I'm glad that I'm not being forced to be an early adopter of Blu-Ray if I don't want to.

I'll switch when the time comes, when I deem it necessary and worthwhile. Before then, I'm satisfied with normal DVDs.

Best answers
I'm sure the day will come where all TVs come as high def. Technology does move like that. First it's a luxury, then it's an affordable luxury, then everyone stops thinking about it at all. Like colour. Or sound. :p

Best answers
Sandstorm said:
What I'm saying is, you could get the same quality or better, and instead of the area of San Andreas, it could be the first: Grand Theft Auto: North America game.

Imagine moving all around North America as a GTA character. No longer do you have to simply steal cars, you can hitch a ride to the next city, or you can go out into the wilderness and kill hunters, bears, and other wildlife. Heck, you could even become a wild man.
Do you know how long it would take to create NA in GTA? It would be impossable to make anything look acurate because of the sheer amount of content. Rockstar dosen't have time to visit every state or province to see what they should include.

Best answers
I didn't say they would, I said it was possible! You're too negative Barney.

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sandstorm said:
I didn't say they would, I said it was possible! You're too negative Barney.
Lmao.
Possible yes.
How ever the time and effort it would take to complete or even work on the game, Rockstar would go bankrupt.

Anyways, Blu-Ray is welcome in my books.
Just not getting it is all.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tassadar said:
I just don't understand how it would be worth it. I've watched a DVD on HDTV and it looked fine to me. A thousand bucks for a single player? Now I remember DVD players were expensive when they first came out but they were no where near a thousand dollars. Though I'll admit I'm yet to see Blu Ray in action but I can't imagine it being that much better than DVD. With the price tag what it's at, I think I'd need more than just a prettier picture. The examples were really terrible.. the Leno one was just awful, the left side looks like what I currently have, whereas the right side looked like a barrel of ass... like a recorded VHS video... only worse.

And why would you ever buy a Blue Ray burner? With that price I could get a few terabytes of storage on a couple hard drives. I can't see BR becoming mainstream until it's players are at least slightly more expensive than DVD as opposed to rediculously more expensive.
Agreed. I wonder if the manufacturing costs of blu-ray players are that bad that the prices need to be that high for the players or that they just want to make people believe that spending this much money will get them the best stuff (which they do, however the world does have it's people that think spending lots of money gets them the best in some cases, I laughed at my friend when he bought a $2,000 dell pc in 2004 that fetured a craptacular gfx card in comparison to what I could build for the same money being such an example) . All in all I think I'd rather get a PS3 for a similar price in comparison to buying a blu-ray player, with it being able to do more then just watch movies obviously.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually I had this debate with someone about the PS3 over Gears of War the other day. He was saying how it's a great game and it looks beautiful but the PS3 could not only look better, but because of the blu-ray, it could have a much larger, longer, detailed game--because with all that detail you can only fit so much stuff into a 4g disc.

I think bluray is going to really do well. It's already generating more of a buzz than HD-DVD is. And to whoever seemed to think that Sony are the creators of this format, I don't think that's accurate--why would there be delays on the manufacturing of blu-ray drives for PS3's, if they were in control of it? Why would they be paying out the ass to make PS3's, when you all seem to think they make them at such huge losses per unit...when almost all of that cost you talk about is attributed to licensing the blu-ray technology?

Either way it's already dominating HD-DVD. The fact that Lee had a display and sold one like, the first day is evidence enough.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
we've sold about 5 in the last 3 days, people love them... but the fact is, they still are very expensive. Gears is an amazing game, but i cant help but feel that it could have been pushed further, even using an HD-DVD =/

blu ray has an amazing reputation already, the fact that such major brands are pushing them out, is excellent. and i can't wait to see how far this goes.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Unless every 360 user buys the hardware addon I doubt we'll see many games for it on HD-DVD. Blu-Ray ftw o/

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The only major points that the 360 willg et for HD-DVD are the hits that are going to be 'dual system'. I mean even getting a core Xbox360 and an HD-DVD add-on plus a hot new game that's also on PS3 is still like 100-200 bucks cheaper then just getting the PS3 and the game.

I always knew that Blu-ray was going to do well against HD-DVD, personally. Much as I like Microsoft that war is pretty much already lost.

Best answers
Mad_AxMan said:
we've sold about 5 in the last 3 days, people love them... but the fact is, they still are very expensive. Gears is an amazing game, but i cant help but feel that it could have been pushed further, even using an HD-DVD =/

blu ray has an amazing reputation already, the fact that such major brands are pushing them out, is excellent. and i can't wait to see how far this goes.
Can't but feel that it'd be alot better if they released it for the PC (on DirectX 9). Microsoft can still **** off, cause I'm not going to taint my computer with the living DRM component known as Vista.

I'd definitely love to own a blu-ray drive... But I've not got the time, nor the money to properly enjoy it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well i just ordered my ?400 Blu Ray writer for my pc =] can't wait for it! i also ordered a bunch of movies for it too, so it should rock hard core when it gets here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom