Block Suggestion

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
what im suggesting has a couple of ways it could be implemented and quite a few features that could be put into it..

im suggesting two types of block. the physical block, which we have now, and the "parry block". keep in mind that, alternately, the parry block can replace the block.

Parry Block default CTRL key.

instead of the arms crossed, brace yourself stance, you'll go into more of a "martial arts" stance. basically preparing to intercept a punch. when you intercept, the opponents fist is deflected. this uses a decent portion of stamina, but theres no health drain. leaves your opponent slightly open to counter-attack, but its obvious that your preparing to parry (with the flashy martial arts stance).

ALSO

when you parry an attack, you can MAYBE throw an opponent backwards. you know the classic karate throw. balance the opponents arm on your shoulder and then use your body to distribute their weight and then throw. you'd do this by pressing the back key and your melee button right after the parry, but the distance of the throw is pre-determined. the problem with this is it may get annoying so its only a "maybe" suggestion.

Physical Block

just like how it is now, only i think that when you get hit, you fly backwards a ways depending on how fast your opponent is traveling. a physical block expends a small portion of health instead of stamina, which you may need. no chance for counter-attack, but you can get away from your opponent easier.

Power-Struggling

Physical Block:

Big Attacks: works exactly as it does now, except that when you finally deflect an opponents blast or beam you fly back a little ways. the distance depends on the power level difference. uses alot of ki, but not too much stamina.

Small Attacks: just deflects ki balls and such, which is what happens now.

Parry Block: now this i was kinda looking forward too.

Big Attacks: when you "parry block" a big beam or ball your using a fairly small amount of ki, but a lot of stamina. when you get a successful parry block, you vault yourself off of the beam, and it continues to travel.

because of the power built up in the beam the person who shot it cant detonate for a couple of seconds leaving the opponent with an opportunity to strike back. of course, with the high stamina drain, its a risk. you dont wanna run out of stamina when your hyper rushing your opponent.

Small Attacks: you more or less dodge them, instead of deflect them. its just a simple animation. when your under a barrage of ki balls, its a common tactic for your enemy to attack you while your deflecting the ki balls. without the ki balls flying all over the place from the deflections it'll be easier to keep an eye on your opponent. not only this but you can parry your opponents attacks if they do rush you.

Alternate Small Attacks: or, the ki blasts that your deflecting go more towards your opponent, but your open to attack as your not actually blocking. the ki shield guards the full 360 degrees around you

EDIT:
Energy Block

by pressing both keys at the same time (Q and ALT, very reachable), you form a small ball of ki around you. it's most effective when defending against energy attacks, and doesnt help when your being physically assaulted.

Big Attacks: this doesnt block struggle, but it expends alot of ki when your hit. it guards against splash damage and direct hit damage. but, as i said, its useless in melee. so it's good in those "aww ****" situations. amount of ki depends on the attack, the opponents power level, and your own PL. again, works in full 360.

small attacks: just cancels them out, but works in full 360. no blind spots, but no deflection either, which comes in handy sometimes.

so, comments?

Last edited:
Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Good ideas over all. I especially like the Polevaulting parry. However, I don't like the shield being 360. 180 tops so people have to be careful and watch out for someone bending the beam around them.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the shield only works for ki attacks/explosions. while you have the shield up, anyone can easily hit you. thats why i gave it 360

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the shield only works for ki attacks/explosions. while you have the shield up, anyone can easily hit you. thats why i gave it 360
I know but I don't want people to see a beam coming and say "Ah, let's put my shield up!", they should have to choose their options carefully.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
and they will realize that when they get hit by both the splash damage and the direct hit damage and end up with no ki. if you wanna direct block a big beam, you'd better have a lot of ki. even if you do, it'd probably be a far better idea to use the block struggle and deflect it.

most beams are gonna be detonated, rather than hitting you, in any case. block struggles really only happen when some fires off a blast, which is an uncontrollable energy attack. if your smart, though, you'll detonate a beam near them, rather then take the risk of them struggling it.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
and they will realize that when they get hit by both the splash damage and the direct hit damage and end up with no ki. if you wanna direct block a big beam, you'd better have a lot of ki. even if you do, it'd probably be a far better idea to use the block struggle and deflect it.

most beams are gonna be detonated, rather than hitting you, in any case. block struggles really only happen when some fires off a blast, which is an uncontrollable energy attack. if your smart, though, you'll detonate a beam near them, rather then take the risk of them struggling it.
I see, hopefully detonating won't be a main beam tactic though. However, your reasoning is good enough for me.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well i like your idea. Maybe change the seperate button to block + mouse 1

The less buttons the better ^^

As for beam detonations. Bow about having a delay on the detonation. Like the beam explodes 1 second after you press the button.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
What about knockbacks parry? And knockbacks overall?

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Well knockbacks recovery is way too simple, and we can use this parry to blend it in the knockbacks, making it more hmm, colorful.

I am asking to know from him how he would blend parry in knockbacks.

Knockbacks overall is his other suggestions for knockbacks recovery to make it more colorful not including the parry.:smile:

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My idea is to use stamina for that. PRess the block key and youll use up a certain amount of stamina to recover reall fast. If you dont have enough stamina you get an extra long recovery.

Kinda gets people towards emptying other people.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
edit: ah, i see. well, i think it should take a very small amount of stamina away when you get punched. but in a knockback you use energy to propel yourself back into equal balance. so its right to take ki away in order to recover faster.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom