Bioshock Infinite

Status
Not open for further replies.
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So, did you hear? It looks like any of us hoping maybe that Bioshock was over or maybe going to get a nice final send-off before 2K Marin moved onto something else are getting a healthy kick in the balls, as Irrational Games is now taking the helm of "Bioshock Infinite".

My first reaction to the title was, "that's kinda' lame", but nothing prepared me for the premise of this return to Rapture...as there ISN'T a return to Rapture.

[video=youtube;pV_TDxl2UIo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV_TDxl2UIo[/video]

So, as you can tell from that little flight of fancy, this Bioshock-in-name-only is now set in the sky...The ****ing sky...

-_- Good God, is this it? Is this how we're spicing it up? Anyone remember the fake-trailers at the start of "Tropic Thunder", when Ben Stiller's character has a million sequels to his action movies about a super-heated Earth, and then declares humorously that it's going to be different because now the Earth is frozen over this time instead? A FIVE year old could have decided on this twist.

But that's not the best part. Any of you hoping for any Bioshock trademarks like Big Daddies, Little Sister, Splicers or 50's style themes can forget it, because this little ripoff of certain Super Mario Brothers 3 levels is a place called "Columbia", and as the garish faded stars and stripes suggest, it's an ultra-nationalist society with a hard-on for the United States. Glad to see that ALL subtlety in our political critiques in this series have now been officially done away with; y'know, I WAS getting tired of how the previous games had been able to give the philosophy they were demonizing it's own face instead of the face of any one people or culture, because after all, I'm sure American consumers will be FINE with seeing their own countrymen as the horrible crazies to gun down.

Sarcasm aside, this takes place in 1912...somehow...since I'm pretty sure a flying castle was unfeasible back then since it still is today. And your quest is to rescue some girl named Elizabeth...so we now are TOTALLY ripping off Super Mario 3 I guess...

Honestly, this just pisses me right the Hell OFF. Yes, I've heard people arguing the point that the name "Bioshock" only implies that there needs to be genetic alterations involved, but honestly, screw that logic. For me, the name Bioshock is inseparable from that nice barnacle ridden metallic title. If this were a standalone game named something else, I'd be cool with it, but if you expect me to accept this is supposed to be a Bioshock, you're nuts. **** Bioshock Infinite.

And so I say, "Rapture, FOREVER! ; Columbia, NEVER!"

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
To be perfectly honest, I like the trailer. I was getting a bit tired to see second game to be as identical as the first. I'm glad to see something new.

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Bioshock is going the Final Fantasy route.

And I approve.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd have been fine with the games ending at Bioshock 2. To do this and make it something with no relation of any kind is mockery. Give it a different name, start something new. Same Universe? Fine, but don't force me to acknowledge this as part of the lore, it's insulting. The fakeout at the start of the video is a big "**** you" to the series before this point.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Bioshock 2 had no relation to Bioshock 1. It was muddled with plotholes, irregularities and was basically exactly the same game as 1 - it was also developed at a completely different studio that made Bioshock.

Bioshock Infinite is once again spearheaded by Ken Levine and the original team behind Bioshock, which is why I have more faith in Infinite than I did in Bioshock 2.

EDIT: Apparently I like typing the word "Bioshock" a lot. Bioshock.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes, yes it did! It took place in Rapture, it featured Andrew Ryan, Big Daddies, Little Sisters, plasmids and splicers. Also, Bioshock 2 was FUN, even if it was short.

I have NO faith in this game as long as it leeches onto this title. Get your OWN franchise I say, leave ours alone.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes, yes it did! It took place in Rapture, it featured Andrew Ryan, Big Daddies, Little Sisters, plasmids and splicers. Also, Bioshock 2 was FUN, even if it was short.

I have NO faith in this game as long as it leeches onto this title. Get your OWN franchise I say, leave ours alone.

Well going by what Origin says. You do realise that thats THEIR franchise. THEY made it. These people are responsible for the damn thing in the first place. Its the people that made the second part that wernt part of the franchise.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Why should I care? These guys aren't Valve, I have no loyalty to them, only to Bioshock; the way Bioshock is SUPPOSED to be.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Exactly, Grega. Bioshock 2 was made by 2K Marin, and by a completely new team. Nobody who worked on Bioshock 1, worked on 2. If anything, Bioshock 2 is not part of the franchise they seem to be trying to create.

J-Dude said:

For all intents and purposes, Sophia Lamb WAS Andrew Ryan. In almost every way. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that pretty much the only way he came into play? Being Lamb's opposite? It's been a long time since I played it.

But there was no originality in the story. It was basically the same story with the same characters, same powers, same places. Honestly, I felt Bioshock 2 removed the tension I had in Bioshock because it plunged me into a familiar place with familiar enemies and familiar powers, and make the playable character be insanely powerful. There wasn't a moment in Bioshock 2 where I felt overwhelmed by my enemies.

Honestly, you're accusing Bioshock Infinite of leeching off of Bioshock while that is exactly what Bioshock 2 did. Don't get me wrong, I had fun playing Bioshock 2. But it was nowhere near the originality of the first one.

EDIT: If you have no loyalty to the original creators of Bioshock, why are you ranting about Infinite? What's the point besides defending a franchise you claim to love?

EDIT 2: Actually, I'd like you to tell me what exactly Bioshock is "supposed to be", then. Because you do realise that Bioshock in its entirety is a spiritual successor to the System Shock series, right?

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, they based everything on the System Shock series. Bioshock 2 wasn't what Bioshock was supposed to be.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Damn straight. Scared the bejesus out of me, too.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A name is a name. What gameplay a name implies is up to the dev, they named it Bioshock infinite (and not BS 3) because it isn't just another "old" Bioshock, but something new. They could've gone the Zelda route and release the same game every 2 years, which while I love Zelda, is pretty lame.

I feel that people going over zealous on their franchises lead to the industry stagnating. I don't want to play the same game every few years.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Exactly, but it's just a name.

Final Fantasy is a good example. I personally like FF. I've bought every single one of them, knowing that inevitably I have to save the world from a bad guy again. But the characters are different, the story is different, and the gameplay is different. And that's why I keep coming back to them.

That's what Bioshock 2 did wrong in my opinion. It was good, but not revolutionary. I hope that Infinite will rectifty that - and seeing how Ken Levine is once again at the wheel, I see it happening too.

🌠 Staff
Best answers
well, im quite interested to see how this one turns out, its quite interesting. Maybe this one Features a hidden plot line, a young Andrew Ryan and family trying to live in a society in the air, and it all goes to hell, shows why he decided to build rapture in the sea instead perhaps? Idk, all you know is whats shown in the trailer, there isnt really a whole lot of solid plot known at this point. Ill be glad to see where this is headed.

I also quite agree with most people here, only the creators really know how bioshock is "suppose" to be, if they say they want it in the air, thats how its suppose to be. Not quite sure why your arguing it should be any other way.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Which brings me to another point, GG.

.....Booker DeWitt? Really, guys? :(

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm aware of System Shock, but they didn't call Bioshock "System Shock: Rapture" or something. Bioshock is, and forever WILL be, attached to Rapture inseparably, no matter WHO says otherwise. I have no problem with them making this new game, as long as they're not trying to make me accept it into a game series with it's own trademarks and ruining them. Call it "Psi Shock", I don't care, just don't link it so damningly like this.

And the people who made Bioshock itself dont know what THEIR creation is supposed to be?
Did Lucas know what he was doing with the Star Wars prequels? To me, it sounds like the company is losing it's aims and it's soul, like everything with more and more sequels does unless it's Valve.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Them adding the Bioshock name to this game is exactly what raises people's interest - and the media's.

Bioshock had every single trademark of System Shock. Bioshock 2 did. Bioshock Infinite will too. You might not "accept" it into this game series, but you don't decide what the game series is. No Final Fantasy (except X and X-2) are linked, yet it's still a series. You see the point I'm trying to make?

You're really only getting upset over a game you might really like because it uses the name of a known series and deviates from that. That's not neccesarily a bad thing.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Did Lucas know what he was doing with the Star Wars prequels?
Yes he did. the story was pretty much planned out. He just decided that he will start with part 4 instead of part 1. Hence why he named it Star Wars Episode 4 >.<

He knew exactly what the story of the first 3 parts was BEFORE making parts 4-6.

Your point being though?

The creators decide how their creation will continue. The fact that part 2 of bioshock wasnt made by the original creators only suggest taht Bioshock 2 was the part that was unplanned.

Imagine Half Life 1. Its a superb game and a few years after its released a company other than Valve releases a game called Half Life 2, following a similar story, with a better engine, new character cast and some other new stuff.

Then later Valve creates a new Half Life. And since the title Half Life 2 is already taken, they name it Half Life: City 17.

Does that mean Valve has no clue what they are doing and that their plans for Half Life are bad, because some people liked the second part made by a third company.

Off course not. It simply means that this is the legit continuation aside of a ripoff that was the so called second part made by someone totally unrelated to the original project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom