Bill Gates claims Vista has sold over 100 million copies of Vista..

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Microsoft has announced a new sales milestone for Windows Vista: 100 million retail copies sold.

The company made the announcement via an article, which includes answers to reader question by Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates, published by the BBC on Sunday.

Presumably, Gates will go public with the new sales figure during his keynote address at the Consumer Electronics Show on January 6 at 6:30 p.m. PST.

The last Vista sales tallies released by Microsoft were in late October 2007, when company officials said Microsoft had sold more than 88 million retail copies of Vista to the channel. Microsoft has sold an additional 40-million-plus Vista licenses via various volume-licensing deals, officials recently confirmed.

Microsoft officials said last year they expected Vista to sell at two times the rate of Windows XP — a figure they have not been able to realize during the first year of Vista sales.

If vista has sold over 100 million copies all around the world, how come i see so few of Vista users? Vista has been called as the flop of 2007 , and i agree.
Ok, there are a lot of Vista users : Granted. But saying that has sold and have more than 100 million users : fail.

Discuss.

oh and source : http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1079

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Their including licensed versions.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Vista really isn't as bad as so many people make it out to be. I use it and it's pretty decent for the most part. It (Vista Home Premium) came with my laptop and I don't wanna pay for a new XP liscense. It's got some issues, but a lot of them will be patched when SP1 comes out. It's also really hoprribly unoptimized. It really does suck resources. But more or less, it works for me well enough.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yes but Vista has recommended system requirements:
Home basic:
* 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
* 512 MB of system memory
* 20 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space
* Support for DirectX 9 graphics and 32 MB of graphics memory
* DVD-ROM drive
* Audio Output
* Internet access (fees may apply)

Additional Requirements

Actual requirements and product functionality may vary based on your system configuration. Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor can help you determine which features and edition of Windows Vista will run on your computer.

While all editions of Windows Vista can support multiple core CPUs, only Windows Vista Business, Ultimate, and Enterprise can support dual processors.

Home Premium:
* 1 GB of system memory
* 40 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space
* Support for DirectX 9 graphics with:
o WDDM Driver
o 128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)
o Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware
o 32 bits per pixel
* DVD-ROM drive
* Audio Output

Additional Requirements

Actual requirements and product functionality may vary based on your system configuration. Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor can help you determine which features and edition of Windows Vista will run on your computer.

While all editions of Windows Vista can support multiple core CPUs, only Windows Vista Business, Ultimate, and Enterprise can support dual processors.
Home Premium / Ultimate

TV tuner card required for TV functionality (compatible remote control optional).
Home Premium / Business / Ultimate

Windows Tablet and Touch Technology requires a Tablet PC or a touch screen.
Ultimate

Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption requires a USB Flash Drive and a system with a TPM 1.2 chip.

So if you ask me, Vista has only cool visual stuff besides Xp!
Not such a good option!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Vista is selling copies of itself? ****! That means Skynet has become self-aware! I'm getting the **** out of here. Now. Thanks for the heads-up LegendarY!

Vista is alright though, I haven't come across many bugs with it on my laptop. Most of the bugs I've found are network related. I guess it mostly depends on the kind of user you are, whether you're a gamer or a technician or something else, you'll use it for different purposes and thus encounter different bugs.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I don't use Vista because I lag quite a lot. XP works perfectly for me, and 100 Million copies is rather .. much though.. Way too much that I can't believe it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nearly every single computer produced since Vista's launch have Vista installed from scratch. That might explain some stuff.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
running x64 ultimate here, and i have no problems at all.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm also using Vista Ultimate x64.

Vista is the greatest windows , no doubt about that. Haven't had a single problem ever since i've used ( been using since July, have had my computer on ever since [ no crashing, whatsoever ] except when i leave to lan-party or i need to restart in order to get patches functioning).
It's just amazing that so many people are using xp over vista, and it's sold more copies at 2 times rate rather than xp.
The amount sold is just too much in my opinion.

yes but Vista has recommended system requirements:
Home basic:
* 512 MB of system memory
* 20 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space
* Support for DirectX 9 graphics and 32 MB of graphics memory
* DVD-ROM drive
* Audio Output

Additional Requirements

Home Premium:
* 1 GB of system memory
* 40 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space
* Support for DirectX 9 graphics with:
o WDDM Driver
o 128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)
o Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware
o 32 bits per pixel
* DVD-ROM drive
* Audio Output

Additional Requirements

Home Premium / Ultimate

TV tuner card required for TV functionality (compatible remote control optional).
Home Premium / Business / Ultimate

Windows Tablet and Touch Technology requires a Tablet PC or a touch screen.
Ultimate

Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption requires a USB Flash Drive and a system with a TPM 1.2 chip.

So if you ask me, Vista has only cool visual stuff besides Xp!
Not such a good option!

Wrong. I used home premium before i upgraded to Ultimate, and Ultimate was way faster even when the minimum ( if i remember right, it was more than in the other Vistas) 1GB due to dual core support.
Bitlocker is very neat, especially on the laptops. Imagine leaving at a huge 3000-player LAN party to sleep, friends looking elsewhere and right at that moment, some ******* goes and steals your laptop. This way he doesn't get the acces to your data files, if there are vital stuff.

Vista is selling copies of itself? ****! That means Skynet has become self-aware! I'm getting the **** out of here. Now. Thanks for the heads-up LegendarY!
Thanks for the sarcasm. Don't you think that 100 million is a little bit exaggerated? Vista's been around for only an year now (retail), so..

Best answers
I think they mean "there are 100 million version of vista going around, 99 million given for free to users that never use it, 1 million by people that bought it and actually use it."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom