Big boom???

Best answers
I was a few minutes ago walking out our dog. We were at the backyard of our house and suddenly i heard a massive sound of explosion or somesort. I instictely looked around myself while still half-crouched on the ground. After that i ran around our yard to see if anything nearby had exploded, but found nothing.

Then i came back to our front door, our dog was already there, shivering and waiting for me to let him in. I let it in and searched our house if there was anything that could have made such a bang(highly doubt that anything in modern household could make such a sound). Of course i found nothing and went to calm down our dog which was still a bit afraid...

It sounded like a shotgun but a lot louder, it was way above the sound of thunder(unless it hit right next to me, but there were no signs of anything like that). After thinking about it for a while, i though that it might have been a airplane that passed the sound barrier. But i have no idea how does it sound like to break the speed of sound...

So what was the sound? I seriously though it was an air raid for a second...

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
I doubt anyone on this forum was with you when your boom happened.

Best answers
Oh, sorry about that. I was hoping somebody could tell about what breaking air barrier sounds like. But now that think about it, i doubt anyone on these forums knows about that either.

It was very intresting sound anyway...

~Gurbir~
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Well I dont think Iv actually heard anything break the sound barrier so I cant say what is would sound like but read through this and see if it's similar to what you heard.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_boom

Also I dont think Military jets usually go supersonic over residential areas unless the're chasing something or I guess on occasion air shows, but even then I dont think they do because of the damage they can cause.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As far as i know the airforce is suposed to not go past the sound barrier over residential areas. Since if the plain flys to low and breaks the barier. It can literaly shatter some windows.

Best answers
Sonic booms generate enormous amounts of sound energy, sounding much like an explosion; typically the shock front may approach 167 megawatts per square meter, and may exceed 200 decibels. Thunder is a type of natural sonic boom, created by the rapid heating and expansion of air.
Okay, now im pretty certain that it was a Sonic boom. We dont live in too populated area, our nearest neighbour lives a half kilometer away from us. So it was probably Airforce doing something that they shouldnt. I didnt see the plane because it was so cloudy...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yea sonic booms sound like thunder. I heard a lot of them while living in the desert in Israel. I miss that + seeing f-16s fly around.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh, sorry about that. I was hoping somebody could tell about what breaking air barrier sounds like. But now that think about it, i doubt anyone on these forums knows about that either.

It was very intresting sound anyway...
if anything was close enough to you, for you to have heard that kind of boom. you'd have seen something.

anyone remember Postman? our resident Furry? and the way he told us a fighter jet broke mach1 close enough to blow his window open, but he didn't recieve any damage to his ears etc?

fun times XD

Best answers
Well, like i said it was very cloudy, it still is. If i had a digital camera i would snap a shot of the sky so you would believe that if there was a plane flying in a height of couple hundred meters you wouldnt probably see it...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Do you live anywhere near any industry? I heard a big boom like that once, and a couple weeks later I heard that it was an accident at the plastics plant a couple kilometers away. Someone hit the wrong button and caused something to happen to gas under pressure. The walls shook, but it certainly wasn't a jet.

Did you hear anything after the boom? If it was something moving faster than the speed of sound, then you still would have heard the roar of the afterburners after the boom had reached you.

Best answers
No, i dont live near industry or in Australia. I live in countryside of Finland. It didn't sound anything like the videos Phob posted. But i guess it sounds different from close range than it does from a distance. Plus in the videos there was mixed the sound of the jet with the bang.

If it was anything serious, like a century old mine somewhere, im sure ill hear about it tomorrow...

Best answers
Well I dont think Iv actually heard anything break the sound barrier so I cant say what is would sound like but read through this and see if it's similar to what you heard.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_boom

Also I dont think Military jets usually go supersonic over residential areas unless the're chasing something or I guess on occasion air shows, but even then I dont think they do because of the damage they can cause.
Yeah. Sounds like someone broke the sound barrier on accident. Pilots that **** around can do it... and if they do it over residential areas they'll usually get in a whole lot of trouble. There's an air base here in Alpena so every now and then one of the air force pilots will break the sound barrier on accident or to be a jackass.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
on accient?

please tell me english is your second language or something... anyway, he's already discounted a sonic boom (although i thought it wouldn't be one from the start, on the basis that no jet engine was heard prior to, or after the boom, and no aircraft were seen).

it could always be aliens though...

Best answers
What is it that appears when a jet breaks the sound barrier? Air? It's cool.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Coulda been a number of things.

Near where I currently live there's a Navy bombing and firing range.

Best answers
Coulda been a number of things.
Not, anywhere near i live. I cant really think of any other explanation that makes sense, because nothing in few kilometer radius exploded(i can see that far in every direction from our home). My father said that some of the neightbours heard it too.

Even though i didnt catch a glimpse of a airplane, doesnt mean there wasnt one, i wasnt really searching the sky after the sound. And i dont remember any jet sounds, but that could just be my ears ignoring any small noises after such a loud bang.

Because Sonic boom is the only reasonable explanation, im gonna go with that...

Edit:
Aha, now im sure it was a sonic boom. I found a video that was almost identical to the sound i heard:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=annkM6z1-FE
Imagine sound like that coming out of nowhere, when your least expecting for it...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sounds like a transformer had bust, (no not the little trucks into robot things. I'm talkin bout the stuff that's attatched to power lines). did several houses lose power after the explosion?

Best answers
No, i had my computer on in the house, and when i came back inside, it was still running. And the transformer is quite far away from our house. And i didnt see any autobots either...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom