Beta 1.1 Graphics & Lag SOLVED

Best answers
Originally posted by Mastasurf
By the way, ATI is known for good graphics cards but crappy driver support.
Thats why you get catalyst drivers :p (better ati drivers)

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Huge difference. I now don't go below 90fps. Thank you! Oh, sad to say though that tweak3d was taken down a long while ago :(... I too held in in the highest of honors...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Abe, my point was that even if you can't stop the massive loss of FPS, you can make it less noticeable to the human eye. That's how I got around it the first few months I had esf beta 1. hehe

Best answers
All of that info should be stickied and be sure to add that cl_dusttrails 0 significantly helps if you don't mind not seeing the trails.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPride: I know at least one that you are confused about (god bless Quake 1 ;)).

The FPS limiter is in there because during Q1, very few players had anything higher than a ISDN connection. When a player with a fat bandwidth pipe would show up, all of a sudden, it became very hard on the other narrowband players. The player with the superior connection refreshed faster than every one else. This problem was compounded when they used SLI Voodoo2s or Banshees, completely depleting the poor comp that was hosting. Because they could ask for more server updates, it was something of a rude act to leave your max_fps set high . . . you could cut it down, and save all the narrowband players some greif.

Nowadays, the DSL and Cable community could care less about the have nots, and I doubt you'll limit your FPS rating so I can get a 180MS ping instead of a 240. But the times are changing, and that is that. :(

Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
add
cl_dusttrails "0" <--- Disables melee swoop dust trails, greatly increases performance.

Fumoffu!
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by SaiyanPrideXIX
cl_rate "7000" <--This is a customized data rate between half-life's DSL and T1/Lan settings. THis works well for my cable modem; when I find the guide I used to learn all of this, I will post good settings for various connections.
What should I use, I have a 100Mbit (T3+) LAN connection.

And thnx for the tips, it really helped boost my fps by about 15+.

Best answers
I would have done better against you in your server groovy if my fps didn't dip into the 1 digit numbers o_O

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by Christian
I would have done better against you in your server groovy if my fps didn't dip into the 1 digit numbers o_O
if you want to make these remarks, privite message rather than posting offtopic, uneccessary stuff

Anyway, thanks for the codes, they have done me a great deal of help and i thank you alot :laff:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wow...you mean that stuff actually helped others? I always thought it was just because my Radeon was retarded...

...and the catalyst drivers stink, on a quick side note. They made ESF and all Half-Life mods not work on my machine; anytime I pressed escape it crashed the whole computer (it's WinXP, it's not supposed to do that, I should sue. hehe). I use an older 9700 pro specific driver, it works about the same but more of my p[rograms like the specific ones better. The catalyst 3.2s worked alright for me, the 3.3 crashed it every time...and plus I lost performance. I got the 3.3's to correct an issue with many games where when there was text onscreen the framerate would drop over 60 frames (I went from 100 to what must've been 15 once in Freelancer's demo). I was very disappointed. I even tried those hacked Omega drivers...they stunk WORSE than ANY DRIVER I EVER USED, for what it's worth.

The reason why I went bat**** about the catalyst drivers in the first place was because my card's driver profile used to read "Ati Radeon 9700 Pro 128 MB DDR w/ TV out & DVI" and then I got the Catalyst set and it said "Radeon 9500/9700 Series." What Ati doesn't realize is that Nvidia's drivers are built that way on purpose...you can't do what Ati does, and throw a bunch of bobo generic half-assed drivers in a big 15-20 meg pack, and hope no one notices that all the specific features of their individual cards just went out the window (assuming the installation even went right).

Maybe I should lay off drivers and just work on my graphics card settings, eh?

I don't care how many people are on the screen...there's no way Half-Life should bring that card to it's knees. My card ALONE almost exceeds the minimum requirements to run Half-Life...and that's without my computer attached to it!

Well either way I am really glad this helped people. Shutting off the dust trails does help, also...I haven't done it yet but I did in the old days of Beta 1. I'm pretty mad...that is an awesome effect and if MY MACHINE can't handle it, then well...ah well. We will fix it eventually anyhow, so no stress.

I'm sure the answer lies in the Config files....

Wake up Neo...the Config File has you... lol

Best answers
Well, I know I was on the brink of not playing ESF anymore because I'd go around with 5 fps half the time. But after doing what your tweaks said and turning off dust trails, I can actually see what I'm doing, smoother than I could in 1.0 and I'm actually starting to -like- 1.1 of all things. Still miss my pin point accuracy with 1.0, but.. I guess times they are a'changin'.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah I here you on that. I'm just upset with my system and ESF...I can easily break 100fps on a maxed out UT2k3, but for some reason little old ESF just kicks my machine in the balls every time.

I bet once I get home and turn off the dust trails, it'll be a lot better though...

Best answers
All i can say is thanks.... really improved my gameplay..... But there is one thing missing...... cant see the transformations auras..... and ESF isent really ESF without em.... or i think so.....

What to do to get em back?

Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
2 things..
1) Make a new post with all of your tweaks, and i'll sticky it.
2) cl_fxquality controls the particle systems.
cl_fxquality "0" = Off (what you're set on right now)
cl_fxquality "1" = Low quality (Low particle count, low detailed models for effects)
cl_fxquality "2" = Medium quality (Medium particle count, low/high detailed models for effects, varies...
cl_fxquality "3" = High quality (High particle count, double auras, high detailed spheres, etc)

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Halorin stop saying this should be stickied, once is enough. If you want it that bad than message a moderator.
Groovy- I recommend having a friend start a server and then try setting you rate to different things between 5000 and 10,000. This is basically the most involved part of tweaking halflife out of these commands and therefore takes a little time. I would start at 7000. Pcjoe might be able to answer this better because I know with another mod I played there were problems with pepole changing their rate that would cause mass amounts of lag for everyone else.

Best answers
i looked in the custemize and the config file and cl_fxquality is set to 3 and the aura is still not shown.....

Best answers
i see alot of new unknown cvars as well in the 1.1 config.cfg file.

As for your rate f you have a true Full T3 connection not shared (IE at a college school or major corperation) set your rate to 9999
If it IS shared stay around 5000-7500 range or when someone downloads something you will get lagged at 9999, where as 5000 would not be as noticble when it happened.

The reasoning behind this is a T3 line would be able to handle the downspeeds. but if its shared, when somone downloads a file it will lag you out (there are workarounds for this problem, but too server related.) 1 thing to fix this would be load balancing NICs and a good switch ,not hub/router. Yes the hardware is more expensive but better responses if your able to control the server end.

Now I have a couple questions...
anyone know what the cvars:
ati_subdiv
r_bmodelhighfrac

do exactly?

I believe the ati_npatch was for the ati bug causing ATI users to "overflow" 1min or less into a game while using Open-GL Graphics.

Ive used ATI since my first computer, and found they're good cards, and I dont have to worry so much about spin-offs of the chipset as I do with nVidia Geforce Chipsets. I recommend if you go with nVidia buy ASUS brand Video card. (I lost respect for Soldier of Forutune for banning one ASUS card because of its wireframe mode. Most users dont buy a 100 dollar card to cheat, they download it for free.)

Thanx All

Best answers
yea i put that ati thingy to 0 and my esf doesn't crash anymore... i use 9700 pro on 1600x1400 res in open gl on all my games and games that need high end graphics cards i do awesome on, but in ESF my FPS is always hanging around in the 30's and occasioanlly there will be a server where i get 90. I got the same problem that u got pride wit the crashing when u push escape, but i fixed that by installing windows 2000 drivers, I think it's just windows XP period, cuz when i used to use 2000 my performance and graphics were much better then in XP

Best answers
if you want to get that hting that can change refrsh rate, go to google, and look for refrshlock

i found it and it would work great, except the resolution i use has a max refresh rate of 60 fps on my crappy 3 year old monitor

*on-topic* other then a little bit of a ping boost in slower servers, those changes didnt help my kick-ass comp too much, but thanks for the help anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom