best rpg/adventure games?

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
im wanting to play some old fashioned rpg games, yet none of them come to mind right off the bat that i havent already beaten. im playin xenosaga right now. but in all honesty that game is boring as hell >_>.

any you guys got any suggestions? i own a ps2 and a gamecube,

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
He said PS2/Gamecube.. Not "SNES/PS" :p

Anyway--some good 'current era' RPGs are..

"Tales of Symphonia" (GCN)--Very good RPG. Fully voice-cast by pretty famous voiceactors. The main char is voiced by 'Robin' from Teen Titans, another char is voiced by 'He-Man's voice actor, another is the same voice as Samus(and many other roles.. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0354937/ ) Pretty good story, very 'anime-style' RPG.. sequel to the Tales of Destiny series, but a unique, non-related plot.

"Legaia 2 (Duel Saga)" PS2--very funny RPG. Don't need to have played the original.

"Arc the Lad: Spirits of the Twilights" (PS2)--Fun, general RPG. You play as both the hero and anti-hero.

"Star Ocean 3: Till the End of Time" (PS2) Good RPG with a slow start. It's better if you played SO2, but you don't have to have had. Not as good as SO2, but still good.

"La Pucelle:Tactics", "Disgea" (PS2) (Haven't played either of these.. but my boyfriend recommends them, battle system similar to Final Fantasy Tactics)

"Shadow Hearts" (PS2)
"Shadow Hearts: Covenant" (PS2)

I can come up with more if you want.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Synth said:
Chrono Trigger

[/end of thread]
Old fashioned, but not literally the classics. Am I the only one who read what he actually asked?

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
though i do agree that chrono trigger is a great game, ive done virtually everything there is to do in that game. ive played through it probabaly a total of 30 times on my snes cartridge alone before i sold it to a collecter for like 50 bucks.

what i meant by old fashioned is, the simple turn based style without any bizarre or useless gameplay mechanics, not the actual time period it was made

ive heard good things about symphonia, but its also on ps2 from what i hear with added scenes and stuff, unless im mistaking it with another game. i could check that out i suppose. not a big fan of its graphical style though

i didnt know arc the lad was an rpg, for some reason or another i was under the impression that it was a brave fencer musashi clone. though ive never played (or seen it for that matter) i may have to rent it some time (gamefly pwnz)

star ocean was pretty good, but thats among the ones that has expired its replay value. aside from that my copy came w/ a few glicthes . on the sound effect used when ice crystals/rocks made when they shattered it would make an unbearably loud chirping sound. it didnt do this however when i used my cousins copy.

how close is Disgea to FFT, i hated the FFT gameplay, the only thing that kept me playing it was the soundtrack. i wubbed it

a friend of mine said shadow hearts was pretty good, but hes also the same person that said resident evil outbreak was the greatest resident evil game to date. I didnt know what to think

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Well, here's another classic suggestion for PC, and I'm talking old school (even though you aren't asking for old school, but meh..)
Septerra Core.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Shadow Hearts: Covenant is a really good game. I enjoyed that a lot, and this is coming from a guy who generally hates RPGs. The main reason I liked it is because of the fighting system, it's really interesting and unique. (I absolutely despise normal RPG fighting systems, there sooooo boring). So ya, I definately recommend that.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
THE best RPG ive ever played on in both gameplay and in possibly the most deepest storyline would have to be xenogears, find it, play it, love it. that game had one of the coolest final fantasy-esqe systems with a funky combo setup for you to mash in. and the storyline... wow, it portrays god as a soul devouring beast, lots of death, mechs, suicide, you name it, it'll have it, easly the most darkest storyline ever. it even was considered to be banned because of its "intense" storyline. best game evar /o/

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i remember playing the demo of that, that came with parasite eve years back. (which brings to my attention,( why hasnt one been made for ps2 yet >_<)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i'll just say one for now

POK'EMON 0_0

Best answers
RPG: fallout 1 and 2, chrono trigger.
adventure games: all of the lucasarts scumm driven games

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Megaman X: Command Mission.

nuff said, its megaman. go play, nice graphics, cool chars, cool abilities, lots of replay value and hidden...stuff.

challenging bosses, go, now, lots of characters to play, lots of unique stuff, go play it now.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Indiana Jones: Fate of Atlantis \o/
Sam & Max

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Magus said:
Chrono Cross is always a good one.
its squaresoft, they've never made a horrible rpg. even its crappiest ones (ffx-ffx2,..... mystic quest) play alot better than most rpgs other companies make.

however as good as cross was. it just didnt match up to its predecessor. (the huge amount of playable characters was pretty cool though)

im looking into the remake of wild arms 1 now, i had completely forgotten about this one, if i remember right its due for release pretty soon

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
other then what i said in my last post , i liked the older megaman games on snes , final fantasy and shining force (a really rare sega megadrive game , infact if you find it in a store they sell it for about 200bux Aus)

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
nuttzy said:
its squaresoft, they've never made a horrible rpg. even its crappiest ones (ffx-ffx2,..... mystic quest) play alot better than most rpgs other companies make.

however as good as cross was. it just didnt match up to its predecessor. (the huge amount of playable characters was pretty cool though)

im looking into the remake of wild arms 1 now, i had completely forgotten about this one, if i remember right its due for release pretty soon
I beg to differ! While even the worst of the Squaresoft games is only a 'mediocre' RPG, there is an exception, you did mention--FF10-2. Someone would have to pay ME to get me to play that monstrocity all the way through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom