Best programming tutorials?

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Well the university i'm at seems to think that none of the students there ever saw a PC since we don't have any programming classes until the 2nd year and all we do is screw around in MS Office. So i'm bored and want to learn something useful.

So anyway i'm wondering does anyone know any good and noob friendly programming guides/tutorials.
For nothing specific and for a little bit of everything: C++,C#,Java,XML, but maybe a bit more focus on C++ since i've got some basic experience with it.

Thx in advance

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Learn C++ (see the addons folder for a tutorial by, I believe, spunky), because

- C# is just for windows by default
- Java is an old fashioned concept, has crappy IDE's and API's, I hate it
- XML is not a programming language

And C++ is used in most games, has memory management, and just rox.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers

Well there's supposed to be XML programming next year as a class so i thought i'd get a head start.
Anyway thx for the info... i'll check it out

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
That's just my personal opinion, most uni's let their students begin with Java, I think it's better to begin with a more lowlevel language like C++ to understand things like memory management.
Switching from C++ to Java isn't hard, but getting to understand memory management when you only know Java(with it's garbage collection), is alot harder.

As for multiplatform support(c++), if you get experienced, you are easy able to translate functionality like network sockets from windows to linux, to mac. It's basicly just a difference in API's.

Best answers

Learn something like Java, Python or C#. C++ is old fashioned, has crappy IDEs and APIs, horrible open source tool support (still haven't found a decent unit testing library, static code analysis tools or refactoring support). It makes you spend half your time doing your own memory management. Honestly you should only learn C++ if you want to make tons of money fixing up legacy software. Using one of those languages you will be so much more productive.

As for tutorials, I suggest you go to you local library and find a book, the quality of most online tutorials is horrible.

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've been doing c++ for the past year at uni now. Quite a useful language to know, though it can be tedious sometimes. If you want to program, learn c++ before going over to java like dutchmeat said.

Just to point this out, xml is a markup language, not the same as programming languages like c++, java, etc. If I recall I think it's a scripting language? It can implement other programming languages into it's code though. The syntax of xml and c++ for instance is totally different and unrelated.

I usually use this website when i struggle:
http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

The best though is to go buy a textbook on the language, it will be more useful than any tutorial online.

Happy programming : )

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
C# is made by Microsoft but isn't inherently "just for windows" it uses the .net framework, you can use .net applications across all platforms, but you'll need a windows machine in order to develop. It might be bold to say, but I think most developers do work with Windows as an OS so you should be fine learning C#, and I might be bias because I'm a C#/.NET developer but C# is one of the better languages that I've worked with (others include VB and Java). Another thing with C# is that the IDE, Visual Studio is actually pretty comprehensive, the documentation from MSDN is also incredibly extensive and C# is probably the fastest growing language in terms of popularity and usage, meaning post-graduation, you'll be a person qualified in the language most in demand.

Regarding XML, it's not a language per se in that you don't code things in XML, XML is simply just a way of structuring data in an ordered manner for accessibility. XHTML is a derivative of HTML which generates page markup in an XML like structure, this probably doesn't make any sense to you right now, but in short, the XML programming class is probably just programming with/using XML.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom