Best motherboard for Core 2 Quad-/ Duo ?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Right, so my mobo is fried right now and i need to get a new one.

I've been thinking about getting Abit IP35, but i'm not sure if i should get that.

Any advice?

Oh and, my CPU right now is e6420 but i'm planning on getting the newest Quad-Core out there in summer.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm currently using the Asus P5E X38 on my Q6600, and it runs like a dream. Besides that, I really don't know. I did some searching and the P5E with the X38 chipset was the best thing I could find.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Right, so my mobo is fried right now and i need to get a new one.

I've been thinking about getting Abit IP35, but i'm not sure if i should get that.

Any advice?

Oh and, my CPU right now is e6420 but i'm planning on getting the newest Quad-Core out there in summer.

I'm using an Abit IP35 Pro with a Q6600. It's an excellent choice if you're sure you never want to go SLI.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm currently using the Asus P5E X38 on my Q6600, and it runs like a dream.

Putting that in to consideration.

I'm using an Abit IP35 Pro with a Q6600. It's an excellent choice if you're sure you never want to go SLI.

How funny, i thought of putting my 8800 GTX to SLi this summer. Dropping this mobo off my list then.

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you have a **** load of cash get something in the Penryn(sp?) (CPU) range

Best answers
Ehh, if that's the specific Abit mainboard I am thinknig of, it's gigabit lan controller is on the PCI bus. Most other boards have their gigabit NICs on the PCI-E bus. That aside, I'd recommend the Gigabyte P35-DS3L.
If you don't have a lot of Apps that can benefit from quad core then in your case I wouldn't bother using Quad core for the desire factor and save your money (Could always do some overclocking, not hard at all to push most 266mhz fsb chips to 333mhz fsb on stock volts for most users). Prices around where I live for the newer 45nm quads 9Either the lower end ones) are going to be high for a while :(.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah thanks for the information. I've already overclocked my e6420 to maximum, but i was looking for even better results. Maybe i will still stick with the dual cores if the quad core support isn't that great after all.

I got myself an Asus P5K since it was relatively cheap ( 95 euros ) and the features are pretty great. Besides that, i would have bought the same mobo what Rik has, but i couldn't find it anywhere when i searched. Thanks to all for help though.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
P5E is only slighter better if I recall correctly, so the prize-quality rating is still very decent.

Nice purchase. D:

Best answers
P5E is only slighter better if I recall correctly, so the prize-quality rating is still very decent.

Nice purchase. D:
Slightly?

The P5E targets a different market segment and is based on the X38 chipset. I had one though I had to RMA two weeks after I bought it :(.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd never go with SLI, myself. Way too expensive for such a small boost in performance. SLI means more strain on the power supply, more driver issues, etc. Just seems silly, especially considering that 2x "current most powerful card" are usually outdone by the next generation's "most powerful card."

Pretty sure an 8800GTX is more powerful than 7900GTX SLI. 9800GX2 might be an exception, since it's basically two 8800GTX's on the same board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom