Bench Press

Best answers
Wolf Devil said:
Carido is really important for varsity football. On our team, we aren't considered jack if our linemen can't give a good jog for a mile. After that it's really about upper body strength. So yeah, weights are supposedly good, but since you are only 15, forget it. Just do pushups... Day in and day out. Almost everything you need to be able to play varsity football is your body, and being able to control it...

Do you know what position you're wanting? That might help me tell you what to do, but really it's all basic. Let me give you a few exercises to do that are considered essential:

Push ups. It sounds simple, but honestly, if you can't lift your own body weight off the ground with your arms, you have almost no chance in hell of making it. Especially if you're defense, since you need to shed blocks using your arms.

And by the way, defense is usually VERY big on upper body strength, and not so much cardio. I digress...

So yeah, being able to do a fair amount of consecutive push ups really count. 35+ is good, but only do 10 for circuit training.

After that there are some jump squats you can do. Put your fingers behind your hears, squat down til your thighs are about 45 degrees to parallel to the ground, then EXPLODE upward with your legs. Do this about 10 times for circuit, 20-30 times or for 10 minutes for normal conditioning.

Now lie on your back, put your hands underneath your abdomen. Raise your legs 6 inches off the ground. Spread them apart, then put'em together about 10 times.

Get up, do 10 more jump squats for circuit.

On your back again, cross your legs, then bring them up as far as you can. Place your fingers behind your ears, then bring your elbows up til they touch your knees (or as far as possible)

10 jump squats.

10 pushups.

Somewhere in there, include 10 chin ups.

Those are all essential conditoning excercises for football.

More body weight control: do the 6 inches up thing with your legs again, 10 times apart and together. Now go to a foot up, 10 times apart and together. Now bring your legs up to 90 degrees and do bicycle kicks for about 30-60 seconds. Do all this without lifting your shoulders.

After that, stay on your back, take a 1 minute break.

Now bring your arms up, and put your fingers behind your ears again. With your legs straight on the ground, attempt to raise your torso off the ground about 15 degrees. Put your arms out to your side and bring them back in 10 times. Now go up to about 30 degrees off the ground, and do the arms again 10 times. Then 45 degrees, arms out and in 10 times.

It's really simple, but it really gives you an understanding of your own body. If you can't control your own body, how will you control the bodies of somebody bearing down on top of you?
Well, I was hoping that someone could help me choose a position. I was thinking wide reciever or half back because Im smaller than everyone else and way too small to be a lineman but I cant run super fast.

Oh yeah, i googled body fat percentage and I found a ton of sites to figure that out. I went to 7 sites and got the results and averaged them all out. My body fat percentage is 13%, pretty good?

Best answers
Give me the sites for body fat... I need it :p

You sound more like the full back type to me, WS. Maybe a tight end, or a line backer sounds good for you.

But for all of those, you definately wanna do a lot of running to increase your speed, and push ups. Circuit training. Explosive exercises. Weights are NOT needed.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
those sites are bull, you can get a set of scales that will give you an accurate reading, or even visit your GP. what those sites give are BIOMASS, which is completely inaccurate, and complete bullcrap to anyone looking for real information.

the scales that you stand on pass an electrical current (you wont feel it) through you, and calculate your body fat based on the resistance and some other factors.

oh, and:

Walmart Security said:
OH, and AxMan, What the hell are Ton-ups?
Mad_AxMan said:
a good one is called "ton-ups" what you do is run 20 meters, then do an exercise, run back 20m, do 2 exercises. repeat, until youve done 10 consecutive exercises.

like this:

run - 10pushups
run - 10pushups,10situps
run - 10pushups,10situps,10squats
run - 10pushups,10situps,10squats,10widearmpushups
run - 10pushups,10situps,10squats,10widearmpushups,10halfsits
run - 10pushups,10situps,10squats,10widearmpushups,10halfsits,10lunges
run - 10pushups,10situps,10squats,10widearmpushups,10halfsits,10lunges,10handstouchingpushups
run - 10pushups,10situps,10squats,10widearmpushups,10halfsits,10lunges,10handstouchingpushups
,10crunches
,10crunches,10squat thrusts
,10crunches,10squat thrusts,10 pullups

do that once a week, with exercise 3 other days per week. and i guarentee you'll be an ox by the time your 18.

ps. expect the ton ups to hurt. a LOT. dont do it on a school night, because i guarentee you wont be going to school the next day.
please pay attention =/

also, change the word run, to sprint.

Best answers
Sorry I was in a hurry there so I was skimming all the way through the posts (i was at school and the 1 minute bell rang, so i had to leave)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Walmart Security said:
Sorry I was in a hurry there so I was skimming all the way through the posts (i was at school and the 1 minute bell rang, so i had to leave)
-.- I told you, you didn't want to know what ton-ups are. They're deadly and I hate them and they should die a slow painful agonizing death..

On a lighter note. If you do find out what your body fat is and it's 13%. That's what I have, so you're around my area, but you said you have some what of a gut, which means it's going to be more. I'm skinny as ****. Beacuse of it, you can easily see all my muscles. I'm going to guess you're around a 15-20% Tell me if I'm right :)

P.S: 15-20 is healthy.

Best answers
So, Gir, if my biomass is 24-27%, is that bad?

Lord I'm fat... Thankfully I'm a lineman, so that's a necessity... granted, I'm rather short ^_^

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Classification---------Women (% fat)---------Men (% fat)
Essential Fat------------10-12%-----------------2-4%
Athletes----------------14-20%-----------------6-13%
Fitness-----------------21-24%----------------14-17%
Acceptable-------------25-31%----------------18-25%
Obese------------------32% plus---------------25% plus
Pulled this off a health website.

Best answers
mad ax i agree almost 100 percent. Walmart, don't change it from run to sprint. You do what you can at first. The point of the excercise for "TONING" is to increase your muscles endurance. At first you want to push yourself but you don't want to push yourself too much that you can't finish the training. Once you develop and recognize your limits, from there you can increase them and start to push yourself higher. You have to start small and that is the HARDEST part of excercising, dieting, weight training. I have to lose 125 pounds. I have been dieting for 2 months and have lost 40. I hit a brick wall right now and can't get by it. I have been really depressed and edgy for the past week now and it is tough and it takes a long time to get over it. Things take time and you don't need anything to help you. You should be fine in the years to come. Do as many sports as possible, keep yourself active. In highschool I was on the football team, wrestling team, track team and did martial arts 4 nights a week. Only problem is, don't slack off or you will regret it like i did. But enough about me, Follow that practice, push yourself and understand that things take time.

~Sarutobi Sensei~

Best answers
Thanks a lot man, I will start up again when I get my bench, I paused for a week or so which isnt good at all but when my dad gets home Im gonna have him buy this. Its on sale and it ends today so he needs to hurry so I can save 60 bucks. When I get It i'll make a post and let you guys post back and then I'll request for this thread to be closed.

Best answers
You're going to have him buy Sears? That's a bit extreme...

Saru is right: whatever you do, stick with it. Football is good for that. If you can stand going out every day and getting your brains beat out, then dragged along the ground through the dirt and the mud and the snow and the gravel (and off times, cement), AFTER going through your regular school day (and god knows high school is a *****), you're certainly one for mental toughness.

There is no sport as physically and mentally demanding as Football.

Best answers
Wolf Devil said:
You're going to have him buy Sears? That's a bit extreme...

Saru is right: whatever you do, stick with it. Football is good for that. If you can stand going out every day and getting your brains beat out, then dragged along the ground through the dirt and the mud and the snow and the gravel (and off times, cement), AFTER going through your regular school day (and god knows high school is a *****), you're certainly one for mental toughness.

There is no sport as physically and mentally demanding as Football.
SON OF A *****! sorry, this hyperlink should work, click me to see what Security bought!!!

OH and wrestling is very demanding also, ask Saru.

Best answers
You do not wrestle in the mud and the snow now do you? Huh, huh?! No, I didn't think so...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hehe, my bodyfat level is such that you cant see any of my muscle tone unless i actually use it, and then it shows through, and im happy with that =]

however, tonight is the christmas party at work and weve booked a hotel, so were all gonna get retardedly drunk, which means ill put on a few pounds hahaha.

anyway, i still think youve wasted your money, you cant just use a bench press, because itll only work a few specific muscle sets, you need to work your entire body evenly or youll both look extremely weird with toned arms/chest and skinny abs/legs and you will also find that the rest of your body cant keep up with your upper torso when you do come to do other exercises/sports.

i can lift over twice my own weight, and ive never been to a gym in my life, which i hold as a testiment to the fact that they are a waste of money and time.

ps. i weigh 189lbs/85.7kg

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Your Estimated Body Fat Percentage Is 131%
Inch. 73 /Pounds 147

did i counted something wrong? >_<" truelly im not that fat...

height: 186 cm , 72kg ....<_< thats not true or?

lol k just watched a new site... and i got 3% of body fat ;P

http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/fatcent.htm

Best answers
apparently i have 80 percent body fat....o_O yea umm sure

as for football more demanding than wrestling heh heh

good you get to roll around in mud and snow...congrats. You know that thing called water...yea we aren't allowed to drink that for 4 hours while we are constantly beating the crap against one another. You know that thing called breaks...don't get those either. In a 4 hour practice for wrestling you would get maybe 10 minutes tops for a break...that is including stretching which is considered a break. Wreslting is mentally and physically much more demanding than football. Have done both for over 10 years and wrestling just pushes you as a person FAR FAR FAR more than football. Then again this is my personal opinion

Best answers
Tryforce said:
Your Estimated Body Fat Percentage Is 131%
Inch. 73 /Pounds 147

did i counted something wrong? >_<" truelly im not that fat...

height: 186 cm , 72kg ....<_< thats not true or?

lol k just watched a new site... and i got 3% of body fat ;P

http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/fatcent.htm
are you sure you are entering inches and not centimeters?

As for Wrestling being more demanding than football, I TOLD YOU SO, WOLF DEVIL!!! (according to what Saru said back there).

Oh and this bench press does more than just allow you to bench,it allows you to do Squats, Butterflies, Leg Curls, and a **** load of other stuff. So im thinking it isnt a waste of money, especially since I got it for 70 dollars off the original price ( was $160.00 and it was on sale for $89.99,it was on sale for like 3 days only) I'll give you guys a hyperlink later...

nge

Best answers
Sorry it took me so long for a reply. I am against weighted cloathing because the inside of your body doesn't adjust to compensate for the extra weight. Lets say you have 20 lbs of weighted cloathing on, and you weigh 130. Your bones, muscles, and body is prepared to handle 130 lbs of weight effectively. This is just adding "crushing weight" which, over a period of time, will simply damage you.

Best answers
yeah, but lets say you only add 5-8 lbs of weighted clothing, you dont think you can damage your body with that much, do you?

nge

Best answers
It's still unhealthy. Undergoing a constant pressure is much different than undergoing a change in body weight. It can lead to respitory issues, amongst several other bad things. All in all, there are more effective ways to accomplish the same task with less risk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom