Bench Press

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Zeonix said:
If you don't believe me, play Fable.
Buddy ur completly wrong aight? even if i will play Fable your still wrong... i can show u a guy who´s 15 and he doesnt look pitful at all.

Anyway i agree with Girs comment... no need to buy this benchpress... use ur own weight ;)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you want to work out, buy a monthly pass at a gym. Then look into buying equipment. If you have the discipline to stick with working out for a month, go ahead and buy a benchpress. If you cant stick with going to the gym, then you wont stick with using a machine.

The only problem there, aside from you being a youngin', is that those machines only work on one area of the body at a time. You could be left with will a well defined chest and scrawny everything else.

Youre 15 though, so no matter what you do, youre likely to be scrawny anyway. And remember, theres more to life than big pecs.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Very true, it's better to join a gym at first so you can excercise different parts of your body rather than focus on getting giant manbreasts. If you're still adamant on getting weights i'd recommend getting a set of adjustable dumbells as they're free weights and you can do lots of excercises with them for different muscle groups (more than you can with a barbell). Just remember you're not going to get the same results as adults because...well...you're not one.

Best answers
I'll try not to sound to patronising here, but like anything read up on the subject matter. Alot of people don't like training with weights when your young but I started going to the gym regularly around 15/16. I dnt think its ridiculous but you have to be careful.

This link bellow is fantastic for people who wanna love and control their weight and also for building. The guy makes everything very simple and I advise you buy his book even if you think you know some body science.

http://www.bodyforlife.com/

These links are to the most collective sites on the web regarding nutrion, exercise and general fitness. The forums have tons of information if your willing to read. The website itself has tons of videos and tips from professionals to.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/

Anyhow good luck! Use the information available to make the best decision for you, everyones body is different :laff:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hmmm you know, my neighbor is 14, and he did so many situps that he got a hernia... not nice at all.

theres no need to spend stupid amounts of money on weights and/or gym sessions, using your own bodyweight is ALL you need at your age. i know plenty of guys who are massive (im not even that small myself) who've never touched a weight in their lives. all you have to do is train hard with your own body. because your body has a limit, you'll be able to actually achieve more by using itself to reach that limit. just trust me on that.

as dust mentioned, PROTIEEEEN D:

you need lots of it, eat tuna, lots of it, tuna is like, 80% protien. you also need a lot of carbs... so tuna in pasta would be awsome.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
:O never knew that Protien is important for muscles... thanky ax

i gues you see walmart... most people recommend you to use ur own weight.... and just do it and you will feel urself buffed up even if "it" may wont look like it but you luckly will feel buffed ^^

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tryforce said:
:O never knew that Protien is important for muscles... thanky ax

i gues you see walmart... most people recommend you to use ur own weight.... and just do it and you will feel urself buffed up even if "it" may wont look like it but you luckly will feel buffed ^^
Tuna and eggs are 2 great things to eat. Protien is important for muscles because they are MADE of protien >.> No protien no muscles. Want to lose weight? What better way than to not eat? Don't forget excersizing? Sure! Go ahead you won't get stronger. Diet is just as important as lifting weight. No protien no muscles.

Here's a little "Weight lifting 101"
When you lift weights, your muscles work hard. They stretch and contract constantly.
Lifting heavier weights cause them to rip and tear everywhere. (depending on what part of that muscle you are working)
WHen you are finished working out for the day and you can't even lift a milk carton, that's your muscles without oxygen and them being torn. When you wake up the next day and you don't want to move because your arms/pecs hurt, it's again becuase they are torn, your body is saying "muscles are torn, gotta repair" so they take the protien, and instead of doing what your skin does and just heals it. The tears in your muscles are just replaced with new protien, hence your muscles get bigger and you get stronger because you gained muscle mass.

The problem is: Do it excessively i.e everyday, or too long. Your muscles will rip to a point where they can't be healed.

Ever wonder why if you don't excersize (computer geeks anyone?) you get weak? You will continue to get weaker and weaker because of that one disease I can't think of right now. Muscular dis....something. distrophy? That's what I want to say. But I don't remember.

Also here is a rumor everyone hears: Lifting weights at a young age= stunts growth. Well.... yes. But no at the same time. When you sleep you can grow anywhere from 1/2 and inch to 2 inches (i know it's freaking amazing) well the force of gravity 9.8 somthing/something pushes down on your vertibre = you get shorter during the day. Well holding weights does the same thing. So in essence you will grow once you leave the weights alone for a while.

Random

R
Please just don't set your goal in life to be another meat-head who has huge muscles but can't tie his shoe. There is definitly a big ego trip that comes with getting "big" and gives once decent people a misplaced "Tough Guy" attitude. Plus I understand that If your muscles get to big they interfer with normal body mechanics anyways.

Best answers
Yeah, I see that you all are saying to just wait until I'm 17, but You need to see my perspective of it all.

My perspective... (lol, this sounds cheesy)

I think you all are getting the impression that im lifting tons of weight with high reps everyday for a long time, Im not, Im actually lifting low/moderately.

I know what Im doing, Im not overdoing it at all and I only weightlift for an Hour a day, Remember only Low/moderate lifting too.

Theres kids here that are 15-16 and they started lifting when they were 12-14 and their growth didnt stunt and they are benching upwards of 250 lbs.

I dont have access to a gym and the weightroom is taken up after school all the time because of the wrestlers and hockey players and everyone else.

I dont want big pecs (well, i do but thats why I made this thread). I want a benchpress because I have no way to work my pecs well unless I do pushups, but my endurance is so crappy that I can only do so many pushups and then my arms/chest give in.

Sarutobi said that Im getting too into this, and he maybe right. He also said that basic weight training is fine but not to over-do it, Thats exactly what Im doing though, Im only doing basic/basic-moderate weightlifting, and making sure im not over-doing it.

And finally, Im not doing this primarily for people to notice how big I am (Primarily, remember that), One reason why IM doing this is because I want to play Varsity Football and Wrestling next year, Im not gonna get far with this body (because of my endurance, im strong, I just cant last long). Im doing it for looks and overall size and noticement too, but mainly for sports.

Oh yeah, Just call me Security, it doesnt sound as dumb that way.

Thats all of it, hopefully you all see my point of view on this issue. Im requesting for this thread to stay open so I can see people's responses to this thread. I think its okay to do this if im not over-doing it, and i have a good diet and sleep. But, there still maybe people out there that are hell-bent on their opinion, "dont do it until your 17-18, its bad for you". So I guess Im done, START RESPONDIN'!!!

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tryforce said:
Buddy ur completly wrong aight? even if i will play Fable your still wrong... i can show u a guy who´s 15 and he doesnt look pitful at all.
For every one fifteen year old that you show me whos buff, I'll show you a hundred who aren't.

As for the endurance part, just keep doing push ups then. Being bulky is fine but if you can only throw 10 punches in a fight before you get tired, all that bulk is just going to go to waste. When I first started doing push ups, I was only able to do 10. Now I can do sets of 90 and sometimes 100 (usually 5-6 sets). Just keep at it. Good things come to those who wait and crap like that.

Best answers
I recommend doing what Zeonix said.

I pull about... I dunno.... 50 push ups a day, twice a day so I'm doing 100 a day. My muscles aren't huge... well because I don't have a whole lotta protien but it really does work.

Weightlifting is NOT that important even if you are doing it too low and moderate ways. Just stick on going to your maximum effort and you'll become stronger by the month (Yes... Month. This doesn't happen overnight :p)

Well if you do go and try to get a better hcest... I really wouldn't think about it until you are older like 17 or 18...

That's just my .02

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
phoenix was half right about peoples muscles deteriorating, theres actually two forms.

distrophy, which is where your organs arent getting the protiens they need, so your body literally eats your muscles to get protien for them.

and atrophy, which is where your muscles break down because your body basically is saying "why do i need so much muscle when im not using it?".

anyway, theres a couple of formulai for exercise, and theres essentially two forms, they are both known as respiration.

Aerobic respiration:

6O2 + C6H12O2 ----> 6CO2 + 6H2O + ATP energy (ATP is a nuclaic acid, basically its just a usable form of electricity for your body, plain and simply).

the above equasion for those who dont know their table of elements:

Oxygen + Carbohydrate -----> Carbon Dioxide + Water + Energy

the way your body gets energy, is by turning sugars into carbohydrates, burning oxygen as a catalyst, and converting the glucose into energy, and waste products, in this case co2 and water (urine and sweat). its important to understand this, because it will help you with your diet! carbohydrates can be simple, or complex. complex carbs, like banana's and pasta, take a long time to break down to be used as energy, so its good to eat them if you want the energy to be released slowly.
simple carbs, like glucose (which is actually the second simplest form), can obviously be broken a lot faster, so consuming those about 30 mins before running 100 meters is ideal, because itll give you a huge burst of energy in a short time.

the second form.

Anaerobic respiration:

in simple terms, Anaerobic respiration happens when your low on oxygen, your body uses reserve supplies of energy, and can actually use it faster, since its already converted into potential energy. the downside to this is, you can overdo it. so when your huffing and puffing, its because your muscles have been using this form of respiration, and your body is desperately trying to consume enough oxygen to restore all your reserves and get you up and running again.

you'll find, that the more you exercise NATURALLY, your energy reserves will increase, along with your heart and lung strength. pumping iron is all well and good, but if your heart and lungs are in tip top shape for an average 15 year old, then they just arent gonna cope with all that extra muscle. and youll be using the latter form of respiration more and more. which CAN be very dangerous. because when your out of breath and your body is trying to store energy, be under NO illusions, your body isnt even trying to get oxygen to your head, its getting it everywhere else. which is why a lot of people get headaches after racing. their brains are being starved of oxygen.

so seriously, take the natural route. go running every morning, every evening, and on your evening run, take 45 minutes half way, to do some circuit training.

a good one is called "tonne ups" what you do is run 20 meters, then do an exercise, run back 20m, do 2 exercises. repeat, until youve done 10 consecutive exercises.

like this:

run - 10pushups
run - 10pushups,10situps
run - 10pushups,10situps,10squats
run - 10pushups,10situps,10squats,10widearmpushups
run - 10pushups,10situps,10squats,10widearmpushups,10halfsits
run - 10pushups,10situps,10squats,10widearmpushups,10halfsits,10lunges
run - 10pushups,10situps,10squats,10widearmpushups,10halfsits,10lunges,10handstouchingpushups
run - 10pushups,10situps,10squats,10widearmpushups,10halfsits,10lunges,10handstouchingpushups
,10crunches
,10crunches,10squat thrusts
,10crunches,10squat thrusts,10 pullups

do that once a week, with exercise 3 other days per week. and i guarentee you'll be an ox by the time your 18.

ps. expect the ton ups to hurt. a LOT. dont do it on a school night, because i guarentee you wont be going to school the next day.

Best answers
So your saying that if i get all of this extra muscles then I would have to build my endurance then to keep up with my extra muscle growth?

Well lets start here. For the record, i run everyday. Well I did. Im doing a whole lot less running and concentrating on getting my endurance up through weightlifting ( do many reps with low weight = endurance).

I would be running but since there is 8" of snow outside It would ruin my shoes. I have my Sneaux's and its a pain in the ass to run in those because I get snow in them and it melts and ruins the leather and fabric on them. There aren't any kind of boots that I could find that I can run in well outdoors in the snow.

I run around my yard, because It beats running in the road, Its a bigass yard (10 sq. acres )and I run around that 4-6 times, I would run farther but my endurance doesnt allow it, so Im gonna build up my endurance and hopefully it would allow me to run farther and faster.

Should I run on the road instead for about a mile or so a day with my friend (to keep me company) or wait until the spring? It would work out for me if i did it in the spring because Im gonna start practicing football in the spring to get me up to speed and hopefully keep me off the bench if i get good enough.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Keep running until you can't run anymore. Once you've reached that point, keep running. Same for push ups. Do push ups until you can't lift yourself at all. Don't do it as soon as you get tired. You need to kick the crap outta your muscles. Then let them heal. Rinse and repeat.

Best answers
well yeah, i get tired around the 4th lap, then I go for about another lap or two, then I walk a lap and go downstairs in the basement and weightlift for about an hour or so, depending on what i have to work on that day (muscle wise)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mad Axman pretty much summed everything you'll ever need to know up. I didn't want to get into that. But yeah. As long as you can get your muscles to rip you're fine. And to do that is what Zeo said. Do whatever exersize until you can't do it anymore, and even then keep doing it. In short, do curls until you can't lift 10 pounds. Do benchpress until you can't lift the 45 lb bar. People look at me struggling in the gym with 5 lbs weights and laugh at me. They do 35 lbs 5 times and are like "AHHH I?M SO STRONG! look at you mr. 5lbs weight hahaha" eh. Then rest for a day. Hell rest for 2. Rest until your muscles don't hurt anymore. If you aren't sore as **** the next day. You're doing it wrong. Eating fish is the best thing you can do. that and raw eggs (which no one wants to do)

People do that, eat raw eggs and **** because when you cook something. Usually cooking something like that with a lot of protien and stuff, the cooking it kills a lot of the protien. Just a heads up.

P.S: I could have sworn ATP is Adenosine Triphosphate... isn't it a phosphate? I didn't think ATP was a nucleic acid. Then again I took Bio in 9th grade.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lifting weights doesn't do ****. How about you do actual work like carrying heavy things. During the summer my friend had to rip tiles with his hands off his floor and that helped him. So doing actual work will help you. Or just stick to doing pushups,pullups,sit ups, or crunches. Does would actually work.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
._. wow ax.....

nway the way i do....
once or twice a day 100 situps front and sides (sometimes more) , and mostly 25 pushups 3 times a day

that i say 100 situps and 25 pushups is only a the mein amount of things i do.. i do sometimes more "when i can" , i sometimes do even 35 pushups and 150 situps.

so you just have to do as much as you can!!! And dont give up when you think its enough, when ur body says you cant, then just do 30 or 10 situps/pushups more and then you can go day by day to more situps and pushups.

thought thinking about that u can get buffed is important, cuz if not then you wont do it anymore.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Man, what I would do for a defined set of abs..

Anyway, since Walmart's age is basically the same as mine, I learned a lot from the posts. The best thing side from technique would to make a habit out of it. But yeah I defiantly doubt paying large sums of money is necessary to achieve the physical state you desire, just natural exercises done right should do it. But if you really want tools, a couple of weights wouldn't hurt I guess (though that "Bow Flex" machine has caught my eye)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Man, what I would do for a defined set of abs..
Uhmm for abs you have to do situps "daily" minimum 100 front and side, for the beinning start with twice a day and then later only once a day ;)

i would do it when my back wouldnt be hurted ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom