beginning to use 3dsm

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well, i was getting bored of ms3d, and metrotek assured me that 3d studio max was the way to go, (providing you learn to navigate thorough the thousands upon thousands of buttons), i was wanting to model on most the details for my frieza, newest picture here i wanted to model the arms and legs, and tweek a few things in 3ds to lower its polycount, then after this ill make the full conversion to 3ds, (other than animating and skinmapping),

now, just a few quick questions, before i venture into the relearning process,

1) i want to put my refrence into the background of my front viewport, but when i do the texture doesnt zoom with the viewport (but i know you can as ive seen people do it)

2) how do i make it render showing the wireframe, (more specifically the basic looking wireframe with the texture still on it)

3)has anyone recently made the switch from milkshape to 3ds as well?, if so tell me some things that i should look out for

(lock it if its against any rule) i am not requesting a tutorial, so i assumed it was fine, but if you do lock it, try and at least answer my question rather than point me to the tutorials thread, cuz thats not what im asking for (points at s bolt)

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
i have so i can help you answere on all those questions

1) press alt+b a window pups out with all view points , in every viev point you can put in a ref , ok in example put a ref in top wiev than in Aspect ratio you put match bitmap , than right to it theres a "lock zoom/pan" push it and hit ok

2)select the whole model second mosuse button click than convert to editable mesh , than go to "Modifie" panel select the object selector select the part or all of it and scroll down there you l see a smothing pannel like ms3d than click clear all , and itl be flat shaded than render it

3)i have be carefull when modeling keep an eyes for back faces most people usualy forget that , carefull when rotating the model in perspactive viev make sure all the model is selected cause if its not and not welled some parts can just move away ,

Good luck

Best answers
I can barely see freeza at all can you show a pic without the black+ lighting backround

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Nuttzy didnt said to crytz that render he neede help on those question , and that render is fine ...

Best answers
lol!!! I feel so resourceful right about now.
1) i want to put my refrence into the background of my front viewport, but when i do the texture doesnt zoom with the viewport (but i know you can as ive seen people do it)
to do that, all you have to do is click views at the top, then viewport background, then browse for the image, then click match bitmap at the bottom, and lock zoom

2) how do i make it render showing the wireframe, (more specifically the basic looking wireframe with the texture still on it)
can't really be done, but if you want wireframe hit f10, then scroll to the max default scanline A-buffer and check force wireframe.

3)has anyone recently made the switch from milkshape to 3ds as well?, if so tell me some things that i should look out for
just export ur model in milkshape to Autodesk 3ds format, and in 3ds max import a 3ds max file.

tips would be make sure ur model has low polyz. I always have that problem with make my models. If you box model, sometimes there will be problems with extruding. When applying texture, use a U.V map in the modifiers.

Best answers
Darkone, he said wireframe, not flat-shaded.

2) Clone the mesh, go to modifiers->push, give it like a 0.0001 value. In the materials window check "wireframe" on the material you want to give it. Assign that material to ht pushed mesh and you'll get a wireframe ontop of your model.

3) Forget everything you learned in milkshape, learn to use max from scratch. Milkshape can give you a lot of very bad habbits.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
oh i thought its flatshaded to do wireframe just select it in the render options thats all

i agree about forgetting max is completely diferent and hard , for know i model basics things in it planes , cars , weapons .....

i know what you tryed ro say - 2) Clone the mesh, go to modifiers->push, give it like a 0.0001 value. In the materials window check "wireframe" on the material you want to give it. Assign that material to ht pushed mesh and you'll get a wireframe ontop of your model.

But its alot easyer to render in wireframe just by clicking it on the render window :]

Best answers
That makes everthing wireframe, you numpty, he said wireframe on top of the textured/smoothed/flat shaded model. First read what people say, then learn some grammar.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
I only knew what i said for to make wireframe , also i dont need to learn grammar i need to learn not to type fast

Best answers
http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/joanofarc/gauge.asp

this link will show you how to apply your refrence pic on an object, because most people find that alot easier then just having it in the backround since you can use the front and side at the same time in the prespective view, and also press M if you want to use the materials editor if its not on your toolbar (took me forever to figure that out :/ )

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
sure, http://free.one.picturehost.co.uk/freeza4.jpg theres a new picure,

ok now im a bit more confused now, some of you are explaining options to me that do not even appear in my 3ds, such as the "lock pan/zoom" that should be in my viewport configurtaion menu where i set the background, there is nothing of the kind

and with that the other method, the texture dosnt appear in the viewport, on the rectangle shape (and im fairly sure i didnt miss a step)

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
r3,all i been using it for up to this point was rendering

Best answers
o i c i have veresion 4. Well you could just appy ur referance on a square mesh, and apply a u.v mapping on it. That helps, i guess

Best answers
Did you check the "show texture in viewport" option in the materials manager? It should be a little box with blue and white checkers on in the tool bar beneath where you choose the material. Also you have to make sure the viewports are set to smooth rather than wireframe.

Best answers
i dont know if this applys to version 3 but in version 4 all of the zoom tools and whatnot are at the very bottom right, or you can just do it the old fashion way with the mouse wheel

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i give up on 3ds, im sure in time that i would learn to use it and be more efficient than in milkshape, but the months that ive spent learning techniques nd such in milkshape in no way apply to 3ds, following all the tutorials ive found and talking to several people that have used it, PBP is impossible in 3ds,

and the methods of shaping cylinders and boxes to match your refs is exactly what i have learnt NOT to do in milkshape, and slicing away at boxes is difficult to get it down right since you hafta rotate the viewport, (which makes lining up the new edge difficult sometimes), sure after i figure everything out 3ds would be ideal, but all i know now about modelling means nothing in that program,

i think ill wat awhile before i try to learn it, when im completely tired of milkshape, i am not choosing milkshape over 3ds, i just dont want to relearn everything i know

Best answers
Master Nuttzy.. Are u releasing this model? we REALLY need a cool frieza form 4. Anyway very nice job man!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom