Beam Suggestion

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I figured this idea would make ESF close to DBZ and would fix beam spamming as well.

Normally when you fire a beam, the beam travels fast and you can move it around in any direction and that beam can keep flying around for hours and hours until it either hits the ground, wall, person or is detonated by the person who fired it.

My idea is to change how beams fly. No longer can you turn the beam on a dime like you can in 1.2.3. The beam will fly foward all the time. As you turn the beam, it will turn in that direction but will still fly foward. This means you can't have the beam circle around and around or avoid obsticles like 1.2.3. This will also make it so people will have to aim better with beams, seeing as how they can't turn the beam around to hit the person in the back.

If you still don't understand what I am talking about, think of a car. A car continues to go foward even when you turn the wheel. Yes, the car can change direction but depending on the speed, it takes a longer time before that change can happen.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So give it a turning circle. However beam spammers just usually aim at the ground and let the explosion kill everyone.

I think it should only count for larger beams (non-generic and burning attack) as it would probably be harder to control a big beam than a smaller one (as in the show?)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think I still made it sound confusing. All i am suggestion is that the beams need to travel more straight so it is harder to turn the beam. Enabling this will make things easier because you wouldn't be able to swoop your beam around to avoid things and hit the ground. And since we all know that the explosion damage radius is getting reduced, this would make beams less spammy and people would have to rely on skills and not luck.

Best answers
i think what hes saying is to change it so beams cant bend... hes saying u can move the beams still but like a clocks hand it moves but it doesnt bend.. i think thats what hes saying

nge

Best answers
I understand, but I disagree. I think the big beams ought to have a wider turning circle than currently (I.E. the KHH has a pretty wide one but it's still nothing overcompensating can't fix) but beam control, especially over gen beams, is somthing that takes a bit of practice to get done right. They're still possible to escape from and can lead to a disadvantagous situation if used incorrectly as is, but a good fast beamer can use them to control an oppenent quite effectively because of the beams ability to turn as sharp as they can.

Beta Tester Squad
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
dude he means like in budokai 3 for the beam and i disagree because even if the powerfull beam can't bend they will still do a multy kill if you know who to spam (the best spam beams is khh or SBC or FF)

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I give thisone a big NO ^^

This wouldnt stop beamspam one bit.

All it would do is make beams go forward all the time.

:no::no:

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
But see, did you ever see them move there beams around in circles or even have that much maneuverability? Maybe in like 3 episodes but not in every one. Usually the characters shoot beams and they go straight. They don't bother to turn the beams around, which they easily could, and start firing a new one.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
actually I sort of agree, of course me already believing beams are way overpowered (damage/blast radius size/unblockable when detonated in the air).

Instead, how about this applies to big beams, where they have less maneuverability and must go pretty straight in the general direction. Smaller and weaker beams would have the ability to turn sharper. That could help balance it out somewhat.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
But turning beams round isnt the problem. >.<

Besides beams arnt what they were in the show.

In the show did you ever see a beam blowing up. You saw it as mutch as you see beams beeing turned.

In teh show beams either fade away or desintegrate. But they seldom actualy blow up. Blasts on the other hand blow up constantly.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
KidBoy17 said:
I figured this idea would make ESF close to DBZ and would fix beam spamming as well.

Normally when you fire a beam, the beam travels fast and you can move it around in any direction and that beam can keep flying around for hours and hours until it either hits the ground, wall, person or is detonated by the person who fired it.

My idea is to change how beams fly. No longer can you turn the beam on a dime like you can in 1.2.3. The beam will fly foward all the time. As you turn the beam, it will turn in that direction but will still fly foward. This means you can't have the beam circle around and around or avoid obsticles like 1.2.3. This will also make it so people will have to aim better with beams, seeing as how they can't turn the beam around to hit the person in the back.

If you still don't understand what I am talking about, think of a car. A car continues to go foward even when you turn the wheel. Yes, the car can change direction but depending on the speed, it takes a longer time before that change can happen.

Beams were made like this in Bid For Power. I think it's a radical idea. It would make beams much easier to control, instead of only the top of the beam moving, you move the whole beam, that's cool, I really think that the team should consider this.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Grega, rubber bands return. Beams don't. ^^ By the way, don't you think that it would be much easier to control a beam this way? Although it wouldn't slow the spammers down, it's still a good idea. But I don't think it's going to be in 1.3. I just have a feeling that the team will acknowledge it.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Did you see the way beams were made in BFP. The movement sucked ass worse than all asskissers of this world put together.

But making beams go straight is not good. Exspecialy since you can just swoop out of the way and the targets are moving all the time.

As for your question. You wouldnt be able to controll it at all. It would just go forward.

Its a lot easier the way it is now. Since righgt now it acts like those rockets in HL2. You just dont have a laser. The rest is the same.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
makin
Grega said:
Beams go straight is not good. Exspecialy since you can just swoop out of the way and the targets are moving all the time.
You can swoop out of the way in the current version. Not only are you faster than all of the beams (except the genbeam) but only by practicing 24 hours a day can you be precise enough to hit a moving target with a slow moving beam. Only when he's trying to melee you have a chance to hit him, if he's confused. And as for the control, you can control it, you can move it up, down, left, right, but you move the whole beam, and it doesn't bend. And you can easily move the beam to another part of the map, you simply turn away, and you dont have to wait 100 years for the beam to reach the place you want it to reach.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So you're suggesting something similar to what Bid for Power used?

I HATED that system. I love ESF's system much more because it gives you a greater sense of freedom, plus in the show, the characters could bend beams also. Taking away that ability doesn't make much sense to me.

Making the beams bendable means it takes a bit more skill to use them, so it balances the beams slightly.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
o_O I come back to a war of Bid for Power in my thread. Rawr, I wasn't suggestiong something from Bid for Power, all I was saying is to make the turning of the beams a little harder, thus making the beam travel more straight, but still being able to turn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom