Beam Spammers?

Best answers
hey folks...

I'm hearing a lot of pissed off people regarding beam spammers...I don't see what the real problem is.

I found it annoying for awhile getting blasted by a beam that blended in with the sky...but then I just started tracking them. If they stopped to launch a beam, I'd send a disk flying. If they got smart and teled away when they saw a disk, then I'd just turn on turbo and rapidfire my lazer fingers.

Or just run up, tele to the side if they launch a beam, then melee them.

What's the problem? Or am I facing some noob beam spammers?

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you think about it, what is the purpose of a beam [gen beams excluded]? The only thing it is good at is killing people who are in a melee fight, or busy with someone else, which is where all the hate comes from. Don't get me wrong, I think beams are needed in the game [how else are noobs going to get any kills?], but it's very understandable why one would hate beams.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I find it only annoying when People JUST, shoot the beams and blast peoples with the beams where are in the middel of an Melee fight.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If someone goes around charging blasts at people who are not fighting him all the time, especially people who are already fighting, that is a very annoying style of beam spamming.

But if someone is playing against someone and they are just power struggling or mainly using beams, then that's fine. Beams make the game a DBZ game, but not when overly abused.

Best answers
SSJGoku83 said:
I find it only annoying when People JUST, shoot the beams and blast peoples with the beams where are in the middel of an Melee fight.
Which is why ya turn TK on. Teamkill is a huge balancing factor, making sure that people can't just spam beams everywhere.

Best answers
That is a really good point, why don't people turn FF on in servers?

Force Pit Member
Best answers
They are overpowered by threefold. Doesnt get more simpler then that. And turning on friendly fire wont stop spamming, because beams still do too much damage not to be used. And what about players who dont care about their score. Then they will keep spamming even if they do constant team killing.

Its like this game was designed for beam spamming. Fire one beam, get instant and multiple kills in a short amount of time, with almost no skill involved.

The team is probably (or hopefully) aware of the issue. It might get balanced out in 1.3.

Best answers
lol...

If they keep killing their team, then one of two things will happen.

1) their team will get pissed off and TK them

2) They will be votekicked/banned by admin

I never said people should stop using powerful beams. I just said they need to be more careful.

With TK on, there's quite a bit of skill involved in using them. I play with a few friends of mine, and most, like me, are noobs to ESF. One of them is a beamspammer.

He racks up kills like none other since only recently did the admin turn TKing on. However, when I go up to fight him, it's no contest.

I am not the best at this game, but even I can teleport out of the way of a beam or block it. He died time after time when I send finger lasers / disks flying at him, or when I run up to melee him. I do all of this while he's ascented to SSJ (giving him a 2-3K powerlevel advantage on me) and I'm not.

If they are forced to use them carefully, then there's no problem. If they can just spam them (as they can in TK off games) then yes, there is a problem.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
tonythetiger123 said:
They are overpowered by threefold. Doesnt get more simpler then that. And turning on friendly fire wont stop spamming, because beams still do too much damage not to be used. And what about players who dont care about their score. Then they will keep spamming even if they do constant team killing.

Its like this game was designed for beam spamming. Fire one beam, get instant and multiple kills in a short amount of time, with almost no skill involved.

The team is probably (or hopefully) aware of the issue. It might get balanced out in 1.3.
If you have a problem with beams then don't use them. If you have a problem with beam spammers learn how to beat them. There is always a way around things, you just need an open mind. Not that I'm saying any of that to be disrespectful, but what I just said is common sense to me. Yelling at someone for beam spamming isn't going to make them leave, let alone beat them. Making the team tone down the beam damage definitely isn't going to stop the beam spammers.

In my opinion nothing's wrong with beam spamming, to me it's just another way of playing the game. I usually don't get mad at beam spammers since they provide me a challenge and it's usually a change of pace compared to being constantly swooped at.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
No its lead me and friends of mine to stop playing esf because of balance reasons. It doesn't make the game very competitive either. I've already mentioned all the things I think would improve esf in this thread from 2 months ago.
http://forum.esforces.com/showthread.php?t=63547
I dont care about player's playing styles (beam spamming, etc), its all about balance.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
MC said:
If you have a problem with beams then don't use them. If you have a problem with beam spammers learn how to beat them. There is always a way around things, you just need an open mind. Not that I'm saying any of that to be disrespectful, but what I just said is common sense to me. Yelling at someone for beam spamming isn't going to make them leave, let alone beat them. Making the team tone down the beam damage definitely isn't going to stop the beam spammers.

In my opinion nothing's wrong with beam spamming, to me it's just another way of playing the game. I usually don't get mad at beam spammers since they provide me a challenge and it's usually a change of pace compared to being constantly swooped at.
Beam Spammers though ruin it for others on that server though if they go around and do nothing but spam, followed by more spam and then eventually insulting people on the server with name calling sayying they are weak etc, anything to piss off the players getting spammed. However it is fairly easy if you know how to play to avoid/counter spam with melee and swooping, freefalling and teleporting. I consider someone that does more then 3 big beams attack in a row such as final flash and explodes it at players near by are spammers (Kill 3 people per explosion equaling 9 deaths with no skill involved other then the skill to spam beams =/). I just go around usually swooping/avoiding/countering spam with melee and teleports and usualy cahse after the player(s) that are spamming, even if they turn out to be n00bs that just started playing the game and are not attempting to figure out how to use melee, or are not getting use to it. I myself will charge stronger beams on occasion however.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have to say a lot of the problem is the fact that this game was designed to be just like Dragonball Z. Its why unlike other games, ESF users can recreate almost any scene in DBZ since its so versatile and has so much "elbow room". In DBZ, a character COULD resort to moves we'd consider cheap. I say, unless your server has tournament style rules against certain actions, let them do what they will. Lots of villains in DBZ were cheap because of their unbeatable moves. Could Goku say to Frieza "Hey, that disk move is cheap! Admin, ban Frieza!" No, he had to find a way arond it. There's a weakness to every strategy, so I say quit whining and find it! :D

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
J-Dude said:
Could Goku say to Frieza "Hey, that disk move is cheap! Admin, ban Frieza!" No, he had to find a way arond it.
You made a good point there, it also made me laugh :). I'm going to quote that in my sig :D.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Feel free! lol...I feel flattered... :)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What's the problem? Or am I facing some noob beam spammers?
You're facing noob spammers. When I spam, people die. No if's, and's, or but's. In fact, any transed Goku that knows what he's doing is unkillable unless attacked with either other beams, or attacked by somebody who can tele effectively enough to catch them off gaurd.

And a question: when in DBZ did anybody (other than Goku during the Cell Games) move while charging a beam? Mobility with beams = unDBZish.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
True, but for gameplay sake that means a beamer is a sitting duck. You could give players the teleport while charging, but that would eliminate Goku's "Warp" Kamehameha feature. You'd either drop that in favor of gameplay, or somehow make Goku's version special...like appearing next to a chosen player...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
that means a beamer is a sitting duck
Bingo.

Goku had to hold Raditz for Picollo to shoot him and Vegeta had to distract Buu for Goku to charge an attack. I don't see what's with all the 'rofl you can't catch me so I'll beamjump and kill you' in ESF.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
have you heard of beamjump? :(

Meet a beamspammer who knows how to spam beams, 90% of the time they'll put turbo on and beamjump, unless you're trans buu or trans krillin you're most likely not gonna catch up to him, especially if some noob hits you while you're chasing him. When he stops to charge the next beam he'll be the other side of the map, u wont be able to see him to easily before he starts charging his next beam, It then becomes a game of trying to ki blob/generic beam the ****er before he shoots you. This isnt even mentioning krillin players on a crowded server.

hmmm...teleport in everybody's beams... no. just no.

Beam spammers are a problem, nothing to do with the damage or anything, just the way you can consecutively throw devistating attacks one after the other with prettymuch no disadvantage to yourself. In dbz, if they shot a devistating attack, they'd be pretty drained after, sometimes even resulting in a drop in powerlevel. What happens in esf is far from dbz. Its even worse when they transform, I myself can set myself up with a nice normal form powerlevel (like any other good player) wait till my normal form is as powerful (or even more powerful) than everyone else in their second form, I can then transform, and now im more than double everyone elses powerlevel, my generic beams do as much damage as the other highest powerlevel players lowest charge kamehameha's, big bang attack becomes a nice 6-10 kill per time shot, to top it off, i now have extra speed and my beamjump is not only 5x more damaging but it fires me across the map like a bullet.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well the problem with beams is that you can basickly nucke the whole server.

And i mean the whole server. Play your cards right at the start and youll be able to spamkill 4 to 5 people with every beam.

If the splash damage of the first beam dosent get them the second one will.

Also as mentioned. Beamjumps. A beamspammer who sees someone in a advanced melee fight near the flor will beamjump with a big beam next to the 2. When they break apart its 2 free kills.

Best answers
I do agree that splash damage could be toned down a bit.

But what you stated is true in all Deathmatch games, ESF or no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom