Beam Propulsion

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was thinking, to make beamjumping more fluid (and more), how about having beam propel you along in midair without the beamhead even needing to make contact with a brush.

The way it would work is if you fire in midair, instead of floating there holding SPACE (Jump button) waiting for the beam to hit the map so you can beamjump, the beam will push you along.

The top row of this diagram is the current system. The bottom one is my system:

This means you can choose whether to propel yourself along or not, depending on whether you hold SPACE while firing your beam. If you want to fire in midair and not be propelled (to hit someone with your attack), don't hold spacebar.

Theres more, when propelled, anything that gets in your path takes an unblockable basic melee hit. This knocks you out of the beamjump and sends the target flying. The reason I suggest unblockable is because:

a) The odds of hitting someone with it are very low.
b) Piccolo couldn't block it when Goku did it in Dragonball :p (Nostalgia ftw o/)

To summarise, it allows you to beamjump before the beamhead makes contact with anything.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
sounds OK

but about the second part what would happen if a plyer is trying to melee you and you hit him with a beamjump?

Best answers
wouldn't he block, and a power struggle meter come up??

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's an original idea, but I really don't want it in. Think of how much beam jumping is already abused. This will make it even more so. I have a hard enough time catching up to beamspammers who just beam jump away as it is now, I don't want it to be easier for them to get away.

The Krazy One
✔️ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
The only reason it's hard to catch up to players, is because they turn on turbo right before they fire, and when you beamjump with turbo, you get a blinding speed boost while beamjumping. This idea could be quite interesting as well. It's kinda awkward just floating there waiting for the beam to hit something. :laff:

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Krazy-Killa said:
The only reason it's hard to catch up to players, is because they turn on turbo right before they fire, and when you beamjump with turbo, you get a blinding speed boost while beamjumping. This idea could be quite interesting as well. It's kinda awkward just floating there waiting for the beam to hit something. :laff:
Yes.. I know that... It has nothing to do with anything.. fact is, beam jumping is already abused to hell. It takes almost no ki to use, is the fastest way to get around the map, and can be used so that you virtually never have to fight anyone. Do you really want to make the problem worse because you don't like waiting one second for the beam to hit something?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How about changibg beam jumping so that rather than a constant push, it gives a sudden boost (as seen in the Trunks/Goten fight just before the Buu saga). The force of the boost would be determined by the charge of the beam. Minimum charge would barely launch you anywhere while a full charge would be like jumping, only a bit stronger and with direction.

Any thoughts on making it necessary to be at least close to the ground to BJ (couldnt resist) successfully?

The Krazy One
✔️ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
That's basically what they might be doing for 1.3. It won't be a constant push, but rather a quick burst in a direction, then slows down really fast.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well could the propulsion be a 'quick burst' too? And then a second burst when the beamhead hits the ground.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No more of this KHH BJing either. You pretty much cant approach somebody with a charged KHH as it is. If you want to use a beam like that, the blast damage should be nullified.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ravendust said:
I was thinking, to make beamjumping more fluid (and more), how about having beam propel you along in midair without the beamhead even needing to make contact with a brush.

The way it would work is if you fire in midair, instead of floating there holding SPACE (Jump button) waiting for the beam to hit the map so you can beamjump, the beam will push you along.

The top row of this diagram is the current system. The bottom one is my system:

This means you can choose whether to propel yourself along or not, depending on whether you hold SPACE while firing your beam. If you want to fire in midair and not be propelled (to hit someone with your attack), don't hold spacebar.

Theres more, when propelled, anything that gets in your path takes an unblockable basic melee hit. This knocks you out of the beamjump and sends the target flying. The reason I suggest unblockable is because:

a) The odds of hitting someone with it are very low.
b) Piccolo couldn't block it when Goku did it in Dragonball :p (Nostalgia ftw o/)

To summarise, it allows you to beamjump before the beamhead makes contact with anything.
Ravendust I LOVE YOU! BEST IDEA EVER!

Best answers
in theory that should happen iff there was enough energy put into the beam... but of course halflife 1 isnt centered on total physics simulation..... sounds good

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom