Battlestar Galactica: Beyond the Red Line

Best answers
Anyone gotten their hands on this yet?

It was released about two weeks ago, its a (stand alone) mod for Freespace 2 based on BSG (the new series)

Anyway since I'm a big fan of the show and space sims in general, I've been having fun with it, its only a demo, but has four campaign missions complete with voice acting (much better than you would think)
and an already robust multiplayer mode (Dogfight, Co-op, CTF, Team deathmatch etc)

Screens

As for the way it plays, it is a nice middle ground between arcade style controls and Newtonian physics, fighting requires evasive maneuvers, quick thinking and conservation of ammo.

Anyway I thoroughly recommend this to any BSG fan, its well worth the download and can be found at http://www.game-warden.com/bsg/

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Bleh, now I have to start playing games again.

Best answers
I haven't had a chance to play it online yet, but I did play it over lan, one of the simple co-op missions is defending an outpost against increasingly stronger waves of cylon raiders.

I'm still getting used to the glide controls, but one of the more entertaining tactics is to hit full burn, flip your ship end on end so you've facing backwards, which means you can blast who's behind you without stopping.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Starbuck style!

I am TOTALLY gonna learn to do that crazy spin out she did...

Best answers
Now that I've spent a little more time with the game, the gliding controls are actually pretty easy.

They come most in handy at full speed, if you press glide (alt+g by default) your ship continues in the direction you were headed, but you're now able to change the orientation of your ship.

Its a lot of fun in dogfights to keep making short stops, boost out of them for a while, and once you're opponent begins chasing you, whirl around with Alt+G while keeping your distance and shove a missile down their throat.

Anyway, I took a few screens for the heck of it.

Edit: I forgot to mention that this mod supports custom missions, if you head over to the BTRL's forum there's detailed instructions on how to create your own missions, and there are already about a dozen fan made ones for download :D

Best answers
Great game, especially for a standalone fan game.

Did anybody else find the first section of the final demo mission damn near impossible? I swear after about 10 minutes of playing and retrying all I wanted to do was punch the mining ship captain in the balls for whining about getting pummeled by asteroids so much.

Best answers
Ha!.

I know what you mean man, I failed the first time.

The easiest thing to do, is stick with the mining ship and blast asteroids until you're told you've got incoming raiders, if you do it right, he'll probably only get hit by one, also make sure you've ordered your wingmen to defend him too.

Once the raiders jump in, target the nearest one and blast away, just try not to get too far away from the mining ship and make sure you don't tell your wingmen to leave the mining ship, or you're guaranteed to lose.

After that you'll have to go in search of a missing ship, once you reach that way point, you'll have a confrontation with Scar :D

anyway, hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom