Battlegrounds

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
www.bgmod.com

Any of you guys play this mod? It's a revolutionary war mod for Hl1/2. Anyway, they just released their final version for HL1 and I love every bit of it.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Its okay, its a lot like "the trenches" though, imo the trenches is better, pitty hardly anyone plays it much though. Its quite fun though none the less =P

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I like BG a lot more than The Trenches. In TT, everyone will camp it out and rack up the kills. In BG, you can't do that as the weapons aren't as acurate. You're forced to melee which adds another aspect to game. Don't get me wrong, I love TT too.

Best answers
You know i deleted bg yesterday because i didn't play anymore but now im re downloading just to see how much they improved.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not worth my time to be honest. I can't stand waiting to reload a gun for 20 seconds.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You're not supposed to stay in one spot, fire, reload, repeat. Of course that's boring. You're supposed to fire a shot off, then go in for melee.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sub said:
You're not supposed to stay in one spot, fire, reload, repeat. Of course that's boring. You're supposed to fire a shot off, then go in for melee.
That doesn't change the fact that it takes 20 seconds to reload a gun. And who said anything about staying in one spot? All I said was I don't like waiting 20 seconds to reload a gun. I'm pretty sure I can move while reloading.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm saying that them forcing you to wait "20 seconds" is a good thing overall. It forces people to melee, adds a risk factor because you only have one shot and you have to make it count, and forces you to think about when you should reload. It adds strategy and makes the game unique. But to each his own I guess.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, its also a very realistic time limit (actually its quite fast considering), the best rifle regiments at the time could fire 3 rounds per minute tops. Remember there's a lot more of a process than ****ing a gun like today, I cant remember the order exactly, but it goes roughly like this; (ah **** it, i'll copy from wiki-pedia)

Loading and Firing

The 18th century musket, as typified by the Brown Bess, was loaded and fired in the following way:

The soldier would draw a cartridge (which consisted of a spherical lead bullet wrapped in a paper cartridge which also held the gunpowder propellant. The bullet was separated from the powder charge by a twist in the paper.)

The soldier then bit off the top of the cartridge, with the bullet, and held the bullet in his teeth/mouth.

The soldier then pulls the dogshead back to half-****, flips the frizzen up, and pours a small pinch of the powder from the cartridge into the priming pan. He then closes the frizzen so that the priming powder is trapped.

The butt of the musket is dropped to the ground and the soldier then pours the rest of the powder into the barrel. Once all of the powder is poured into the barrel, the soldier stuffs the paper into the barrel to serve as wadding to keep the gunpowder in the barrel and to pack it down.

The soldier finally spits the bullet into the barrel and draws his ramrod from below the barrel. He then uses the ramrod to firmly ram the bullet, wadding, and powder down three times. Then the ramrod is returned to it's hoops under the barrel.

Finally, the butt is brought back up and the soldier will pull the dogshead back to full **** and the musket is ready to fire.

This process was drilled into troops until they could do it by instinct and feel. The main advantage of the British Redcoat was that he trained at this procedure almost every day. A good unit of musketeers was able to fire 3 rounds a mintute. In rare cases, people have been able to fire as many as 4 rounds a minute.
This didnt just apply to muskets, but almost all rifles at the time, bare in mind if they got it wrong there was a high risk of the gun exploding in their face.

This might not work so well on an online game because they used to have a process of having the front row fire (of a regiment), while the back line reload, and they'd alternate accordingly. This was effective in a large scale battle, but not skirmishes. In a skirmish, they'd rarely move and shoot in a fight, you'd either decide to run reload and fire, or fire once and head in for hand to hand combat.

You should really watch Sharp =P low budget ITV ftw (with Sean Bean D: ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom