Battlefield 2

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pride said:
Well...I had a lot of very negative experiences with the last BF game...
Negative experiences? I though the original BF was awesome.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I find it funny that on my computer, battlefield1942 looks better then battlefield2. Oh well, it does seem like a pretty good game.. it seems not much has changed since the original though.

Best answers
Kurt said:
I got stuck 2 nights ago at the "creating account" screen. >_>

From what I'm hearing, the game is buggy as all hell and is just another turd from EA.
I hear a lot of people say this about a lot of games, about them being buggy, and it confuses the hell out of me, 'cus I don't get bugs that much. It's like I got the special version with no bugs.

:p

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I can't create an online account.. =\
pretty boring playing with these bots..

Best answers
I love it. Even on my system (look in sig) I can only run this game on medium. Anything higher and I lag like hell.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SuperSaiyaChris said:
Expect the game to smack you on the behind, Pride. Game is so picky with specs.
Haha, can I get an A-men, cause this **** runs like hot butter on my system!

It defaulted to very low specs...but I've gotten it working pretty well on higher settings, mostly medium, 2xAA, 1024x768x100hz resolution. In fact it almost makes up for the horrible problems I've had with my last few games and the depressing results I got with them.

This aside, I've only played in 16-man servers. I've yet to try a 32-man server and imagine it'll be notably worse with more activity on the screen but it seems like it will be plenty in the playable range regardless...unless I somehow lose 70fps and gain 300ms of ping.

All the bad stuff I encountered in the last game doesn't seem to be present, either. Much less lag, for one--the old one was unplayably skippy for me. The fact that it's modernized makes a big difference to me too--I was very sick of WWII games at the time I played the original.

I still don't get how to fly. I set my arrow keys to accelerate and turn but otherwise my control scheme is defaulted. It seems like every time I try to take off in a chopper or plain it just capsizes and goes facedown into the water with no chance of me being able to control it. Any pointers?

From what I've played so far, it's got a big thumbs up from me, one way or the other!

Best answers
Tsunami that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I run the game on High with 2x AA, and I'm on a 6800 with 1g of the same ram you have, with a Athlon XP 3200. And it runs pretty smoothly.

Main thing about this game is it's a ram hog, looking at Task Manager, it sucks up about 500 megs of my DDR ram. 50 megs less than WoW does though...
I found myself playing this game for 6 hours yesterday. I pre-ordered it earlier. Better gameplay than any other game I've played before.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
OMG0sh how can you hate it , i love the changes , Rocket Men now have a decent gun (compared with 1942 , some mods did have it set up like this like dead cities if i belive , And bf vietnam , well i see n00bs up here at core play it alot , but other then that i hated vietnam , just a waste of time)

i wonder though how my crap shack fx5200 will handle the game /me makes note to get to supplier asap for 6600gt agp

CM

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not even 6600GTs work well with this, apparently. It's mostly because it's a demo, I assume, but there are a ****load of problems with all sorts of cards on GameFAQs. Plus, 6600GTs will be low-end in 5 days. I recommend waiting for 7800s to come out, then 6800GTs will be a lot cheaper.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tsunami said:
I love it. Even on my system (look in sig) I can only run this game on medium. Anything higher and I lag like hell.
try getting another 512 mb of ram, i have a 9800xt, 1536 mb ram, a amd athlon 3200+ and i can play everything on high (including draw distance)

so i think its your ram, i dont imagine that my 9800xt would be better than your x800

Best answers
Tsunami said:

Thats pretty wierd because i mean the only differences in spec between us is im using a 3200+ and an X800 XT PE rather then the pro. And ive got everything maxed out as far as graphics and it runs smooth. What resolution are you at that might have something to do with it

Best answers
After sadly missing out on the first Battlefield, I'm damn well giving this a try. FOR GREAT JUSTICE!!

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sicron said:
try getting another 512 mb of ram, i have a 9800xt, 1536 mb ram, a amd athlon 3200+ and i can play everything on high (including draw distance)

so i think its your ram, i dont imagine that my 9800xt would be better than your x800
Why would it make a difference ? he's got low latency memory so in an aspect it should work well , and if he purchases another 512stick he may loose some cpu bandwidth since he's already running it in dual channel now anyway (amd64 chip and good board + good memory in dual channel = Good bandwidth) i would say he should try to unlock the 4 extra pipes on the pro (he might not be able to though , i can't remeber if ati revised any of there boards like nvidia did to stop some pipe unlocks , take the 6200 on nv44a for example)

but then again i am seeing mixed results from everyone , some running fine and some runnig crap even with same grade parts , i would say it's the demo being crappy in it's infantcy or just driver support &/or That the game will run differently on cards from different card Manufacturers

I'm gona pre-order BF2 atr eb games , In Aus it comes out on the 27th of june 2005 (i didn't really need to list a year , but never the less , meh!)

Best answers
but then again i am seeing mixed results from everyone , some running fine and some runnig crap even with same grade parts , i would say it's the demo being crappy in it's infantcy or just driver support &/or That the game will run differently on cards from different card Manufacturers
I just think a lot of people have different standards when it comes to what running "fine" actually is. A lot of people with good rigs, seem to think that if a new game doesn't run at 80+ fps then it isn't smooth. Whereas people with lower end rigs, can play games fine with 20-30fps, and be fine with it. I find it a little unbelieveable that so many people can be having such wildly different results with very similar rigs.

and, OMG Pride likes the game! It must be damn good! I'm surprised you didn't uninstall it because the server broswser wasn't fast enough for your liking :p
:laff: j/k

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DeclineFX said:
Thats pretty wierd because i mean the only differences in spec between us is im using a 3200+ and an X800 XT PE rather then the pro. And ive got everything maxed out as far as graphics and it runs smooth. What resolution are you at that might have something to do with it

xt is better than pro...so no wonder you can have everything maxed out
and i think 35+ fps is smooth...atleast on my pc it is X_x

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm running comfortably with my settings on medium and I turned effects and shader to high. The game looks soooo good. Yesterday I planted c4 on my friends jeep and I saw him streak off into the distance and I blew him the f- up! LOL he was so mad, but we shared a laugh.

Best answers
-JLN- said:
I just think a lot of people have different standards when it comes to what running "fine" actually is. A lot of people with good rigs, seem to think that if a new game doesn't run at 80+ fps then it isn't smooth. Whereas people with lower end rigs, can play games fine with 20-30fps, and be fine with it. I find it a little unbelieveable that so many people can be having such wildly different results with very similar rigs.

and, OMG Pride likes the game! It must be damn good! I'm surprised you didn't uninstall it because the server broswser wasn't fast enough for your liking :p
:laff: j/k
I can play it on high, but not smoothly. I get the dredded hardware lag. Like, go forwards then turn, but instead of turning I continue walking forwards till I die. Happens both in SP and MP.

Best answers
Is it like network lag, where the frame rate remains steady but character control gets messed up? Or is it stuttering, where it locks up for a short time? If it's the latter, then you might want to defrag your hard drive, and end all the unecessary tasks in task manager if you haven't already.

Best answers
Hmmmmmmmm...........I think I fixed my problem..........I minimized BF2 and set it's CPU priority to Low and now its running so smooth............WTF?

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
TehMuffinMan said:
im using a 9800 pro on medium and its perfectly fine :0
Seconded. The game runs incredibly smooth for me on Medium settings at 1024x768.

I must say I am rather impressed. I started to get bored of the war-recreation games again, but this is an incredibly enjoyable game despite that. I am particularly impressed with how smoothly it's running on my system, though - that's a big selling point for me as games are becoming more demanding in terms of requirements.

Bottom line for me? Go and try the demo - it's worth the time spent downloading. Most of you should not be, at all, disappointed with this latest Battlefield installment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom