Battle.vet Jerk -- "56k is fine for hosting"

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I call bnet kids "Battle.vets." You know the ones. Blizzard fans of Starcraft and Warcraft know the types. They play a single strategy that involves overwhelming your force in the first ten minutes of the game. They act like jerks and sputter off leetspeak at the mouth for the whole game, and before and after it too. And then they try to offer you pointers but really they're veiled insults at how you play.

Needless to say, I don't play Warcraft III with these people at all, except occasionallly a buddy of mine will ask me to play with some of his friends, one of whom is like this.

The kid insists on hosting ALL THE TIME. Problem is, he's on AOL 8.0 with Dialup. He claims that it doesn't matter who hosts the game, because the game doesn't physically run on his computer, it runs on a battle.net server somewhere. But it DOES matter. The game constantly gives us the "Waiting for Player [Insert Idiot's Name here]" message. It also often freezes for seconds at a time, and our units take a much longer time to react to our commands.

Of course, since he's the host, he experiences none of this.

It's OBVIOUS that him being the host affects our respective connections to the game...it constantly givees messages about him and stuff, and on top of all that, he recently lost his connection during a game and couldn't come back, and once he'd left the game suddenly became smoother (and more fun, without his ***** tactics in use).

Does anyone know any FACTS about how Battle.net works? Cause I'm pretty positive he's mistaken

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's just him lagging I believe

PC lag not net lag I think

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
But why would it affect us all so badly, if it was localized problems? When my framerate drops in UT2k4, it doesn't make everyone in the server move slower, you know?

Plus it would make sense with why he always FORCES himself to host. Game hosts have 0 ping, meaning that on HIS screen, it works great. So to him we're all just idiots who don't know what we're talking about when we complain about lag.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Servers are not run on battle.net
Look at it as if it were a half life mod.
You use WON/Steam to search for games that are hosted somewhere else.
When someone makes a battle.net game and starts it, everyone is connected to that persons IP. This is why people with routers that do not have an open port cannot create battle.net games (ive had this problem).
So basically he is wrong about his assumption that the game is hosted on battle.net
have you ever finished a game and had that "waiting for responce from battle.net" message? its because you are not actualy on it anymore. you can still receive messages and all that but its not the same. I also know this to be true because ive been in a game where it says "your connection to battle.net has been lost" and yet i can continue that particular game.
The reason it lags is because it would be unfair to have your forces move in while his are frozen (lag kills in cs?)
also, speed hacks (crank up your comp clock) would give someone a lot more resources than everyone else. so i think every game has a standard at which it must follow. and slows down the game for everyone else is someone cant keep up.
About his strategy... well unless he is hacking its all legit, so suck it up and kick his ass.
and if it really bothers you that much, insist that someone else hosts or dont play with him.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thanks for the info Pain. I suspected as much, for a lot of the same reasons--why would I have to open a router port if I wasn't actually HOSTING the game? I think the reason why we all choke when he hosts is the same reason why he loves to host so much--for him it's silky smooth, because he's the host. He must have really crummy 56k if it lags up in an RTS.

You're right about the tactics being legit, but him and this girl, I kind of wonder about. Watching replays of them, they never seem to run out of money and always seem to be building pretty freely, with minimal lumber coming in. Now, I'm not the best player, but often they raize other players with tier three units like, 4 minutes into the game. I know it's possible and all, but at the rate of gold and lumber consumption, I doubt it is possible that fast and that easily.

Also, at the end of many games, his scores dont' seem to match. It will say that he did less than the rest of us for gold, but 4x more than the rest of us for units.

Well either way, thanks for confirming what I thought about the server. I'll tell him that asap.

Best answers
anyone who uses such cheap and unoriginal tricks to get better deserves to get a whoopin'. besides if you see ping that's over 400 don't join, it can only lead to more trouble if you do.

Best answers
Do treasure finds get totalled at the end of the game? If not, the part of the reason he could be building so fast is if he goes treasure hunting early on; some maps can net you 1500 within the first 4 min if you do it right.

Swarm tactics are viable; but they should be riskier. It's too easy to overwhelm your opponent with a mass of small units. Static defenses need to be more effective.

Best answers
As far as I can remember, the games are hosted through battle.net, so if they lag, so do you. Could be a combination of the host and bnet. I remember D2 some games would lag because of the host and others would lag 'globally' and everyone would feel it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom