Battle of Z

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
From what I can see, I don't like how each hit doens't seem to do much. There was little reaction from the recipient of attacks in either the Great Ape clip nor 100% Frieza battle they showed in trailer.

Anyway, that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
Proud owner of ESF:Final
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
its a teaser and probably the game is not fully developed

i like the trailer ill buy it , it sure does look alot better then ultimate tenkaichi and its co-op

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It looks about as bad as every other DBZ game.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
It looks about as bad as every other DBZ game.
You heard it here first folks. Diomedes hates ESF.

Leaving that aside, I do wonder why all other DBZ games are just look so bad. What would be the cause?

Last edited:
Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't even consider anything up to 1.2.3 a dbz game. You could switch out all of the characters and it wouldn't affect anything since no one uses any of the signature attacks when playing against first tier players. That said, I don't even play the game anymore so you aren't completely wrong about me hating ESF.

Most dbz games are shitty because they try to mimic the anime rather than creating a new experience using that universe. That's why ESF was so good. And then we got advanced melee.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
You heard it here first folks. Diomedes hates ESF
Let's not cause an argument here, but I think he wasn't including ESF. I'm assuming he was tlaking about commercial games, not HL mods or third party games, etc

EDIT: Well, fck.

Only go forward sideways
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Well I underestimated it! It looks good to me from that trailer! Environments are huge and you can even free roam by the looks of it. Scale of characters and battles looks very good. I really hope they bring back the leveling up system from B3! I don't understand why they try to mimmick a DBZ game every time without a Power Level system in place.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Eh, I'll probably still get it after the price drops a bit, but it looks exactly the same as Tenkaichi with, again, even more cluster-****age than I had previously stated. It sucks because DBZ has so much god damn potential and developers are terrified of doing anything different with the series.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
Best answers
This is amazing... Not because of the game itself, but because I had a dream about 1-2 months ago about me being in a BIG arcade with a childhood friend, playing a DBZ game which cost $5 dollars in quarters to play 1 round. (it was insane). But the thrill i got from playing that DBZ game like a pro in an arcade Tenkaichi style was amazing.

But clearly, the people playing in this video do not know what they are doing. There seems to be too much ugly button mashing. In my dream when I paid $5 in quarters, I did so knowing that I was good enough at the game to survive long enough to make it worth the money.

Unfortunately it seems DBZ has gone the way of Pokemon.... Sub-par games that when released, they leave players WANTING MORE... Because they weren't satisfied the first time. Thus, more and more sub-par products will be released and the consumers will be begging for a better installment. Thankfully YouTube exists now we can look up Gameplay videos before we waste money on aforementioned pieces of doo-doo. The DBZ franchise makes far more money on an assimilation of so-so products than they would off of just a few masterful projects.

This is why I love ESF team so much, because they do it with the intent of making an amazing DBZ game, and not for the hopes of continued hook-and-bait tactics used by game developers whose sole income is in exploiting these tactics.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Why is Pokemon sub-par? I personally think the game mechanics have been getting better and better after each release.

As far as this goes, they're going with a formula that they know sells. Even the latest and worst one, Ultimate Tenkaichi, sold fairly well considering the reviews.

Earth's Guardian
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
it would be nice if you could do an 8-way beam struggle

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
Best answers
Why is Pokemon sub-par? I personally think the game mechanics have been getting better and better after each release.

As far as this goes, they're going with a formula that they know sells. Even the latest and worst one, Ultimate Tenkaichi, sold fairly well considering the reviews.
I agree they have been getting better, but the first one (while exciting because it was a game-version of the show) sucked.... And the difference between Pokemon and DBZ games is the development keeps changing. They either change game formulas, or they change development teams all-together. I really thought Ultimate Tenkaichi had potential if a team were to break it down and make major changes like what they did with Final Fantasy XIV. But anyways, I'm always hoping that someone out there with some talent (besides ESF team) can make a good DBZ game that really captures the feel of the series while offering a level of complexity that gives players a reason to keep playing.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I agree they have been getting better, but the first one (while exciting because it was a game-version of the show) sucked.... And the difference between Pokemon and DBZ games is the development keeps changing. They either change game formulas, or they change development teams all-together. I really thought Ultimate Tenkaichi had potential if a team were to break it down and make major changes like what they did with Final Fantasy XIV. But anyways, I'm always hoping that someone out there with some talent (besides ESF team) can make a good DBZ game that really captures the feel of the series while offering a level of complexity that gives players a reason to keep playing.
The problem with this reasoning is that Pokemon is an rpg. A game that's literally designed to suck you in for hundreds of hours. A fighting game like dbz is supposed to give you brief periods of challenge. We want more of the same but slightly better in an rpg, but a fighting game -needs- to change. There's nothing but the gameplay to keep you interested in it.

And the first one didn't suck. If it did, it wouldn't have gotten a sequel. Unfortunately, BT3 doesn't suck either but neither is it a great fighting game.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
Best answers
The problem with this reasoning is that Pokemon is an rpg. A game that's literally designed to suck you in for hundreds of hours. A fighting game like dbz is supposed to give you brief periods of challenge. We want more of the same but slightly better in an rpg, but a fighting game -needs- to change. There's nothing but the gameplay to keep you interested in it.

And the first one didn't suck. If it did, it wouldn't have gotten a sequel. Unfortunately, BT3 doesn't suck either but neither is it a great fighting game.
That's not the point. The point is that the pokemon games have been trying to improve upon the original formula. Same goes with Zelda games. But DBZ on the other hand hasn't really had an idea that it could latch on to and improve upon aside from the Budokai and Tenkaichi series. Every DBZ fan knows that a good DBZ game will need a high emphasis on the complexity of fighting, as well as RPG elements. I think a major problem holding back DBZ games is the fact that there are no new enemies. Pokemon can simply CREATE new pokemon and trainers forever... DBZ runs in to an issue with limitations on unique heroes and villains.

Only go forward sideways
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
That's not the point. The point is that the pokemon games have been trying to improve upon the original formula. Same goes with Zelda games. But DBZ on the other hand hasn't really had an idea that it could latch on to and improve upon aside from the Budokai and Tenkaichi series. Every DBZ fan knows that a good DBZ game will need a high emphasis on the complexity of fighting, as well as RPG elements. I think a major problem holding back DBZ games is the fact that there are no new enemies. Pokemon can simply CREATE new pokemon and trainers forever... DBZ runs in to an issue with limitations on unique heroes and villains.
I think that's why B3 is so highly regarded as the best DBZ game. It blended RPG with the fighting pretty well and it also had FUN exploration to go through. All the others sucked on the RPG side because of their silly and stupid capsule based crapola. It would be so easy and effective to bring back the Power Level system and it would work perfectly and simply. I am actually one of the few people that really liked Super DBZ because it had excellent RPG elements and presentation. Little things like going over 1 million in PL would make the scouters blow up at the start of a battle and having to make gestures with the right analogue stick was quite an awesome idea just badly executed because it was very temperamental.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
Mario, Sonic the Hedgehod, Kirby, and Donkey kong are still 2d games and are arguably the worlds most popular games. And if you hate Nintendo, there's still Marvel vs. Capcom, Mortal Kombat, and Street Fighter. All 1st or 3rd party games. I personally think a martial arts game like Dragon Ball would be held back by a 3d system. Like I said, ESF is a big step in the right direction but there's still problems playing a game like ESF with a controller.

However, a game like Bf3 is designed to be 3d. There have been extemely popular side-scrolling and top-down shooters from both 1st and 3rd parties that got immense claim. Even now, Megaman X is probably one of the best platforming and/or shooters that I've ever played. The side scrolling may limit certain aspects, it delimits what you can do with the guns themselves.
I'mma stop you right there. Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 was the HUGEST peice of steaming crap to roll into the fighting game genre in the past 10 make that 20 years. Mortal Kombat 9 pulled it off by reinventing it's whole style, and street fighter... I won't even go there. 2d games can still be hugely popular yes, but not in terms of DBZ you cannot contain DBZ in 2 dimensions, not without stripping every character down and making them 1/3 of what they were in the series we know and love.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What limits any game isn't the dimensions usable, but lack of insight on the part of the game developers. I get the feeling that DBZ to you is described by the huge beams/blasts and big explosions. I like Dragonball because it's a martial arts genre manga, and because of the sense of despair that Toriyama masterfully manages to work when it's really all or nothing battles. Dbz doesn't need a 3d plane to be amazing, it needs some creativity. And, like I said, the BT series ARE 2d fighters. They work 3d modeling and environments into it, but it's still linear and you're locked onto your enemy 99% of the time. ESF is the only fighting game that's truly 3d. And hell, I personally think Budokai 3's cutscenes did a -much- better job making the explosions seem earth shattering than anything else I've seen.

I hate MvC as well, but it's still massively popular.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
Best answers
What limits any game isn't the dimensions usable, but lack of insight on the part of the game developers. I get the feeling that DBZ to you is described by the huge beams/blasts and big explosions. I like Dragonball because it's a martial arts genre manga, and because of the sense of despair that Toriyama masterfully manages to work when it's really all or nothing battles. Dbz doesn't need a 3d plane to be amazing, it needs some creativity. And, like I said, the BT series ARE 2d fighters. They work 3d modeling and environments into it, but it's still linear and you're locked onto your enemy 99% of the time. ESF is the only fighting game that's truly 3d. And hell, I personally think Budokai 3's cutscenes did a -much- better job making the explosions seem earth shattering than anything else I've seen.

I hate MvC as well, but it's still massively popular.
I know that you and another forum mod here would argue this to death, but....

Isn't the Tenkaichi series 3D, with constant auto-aim? I mean really, you CAN hit enemies in any direction that you please..... I see your point in it not having the difficulty in regards to aiming, but they ARE 3D models in a 3D environment..... ? Wasn't this done for simplicity sake?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom