Battle Damage Without Reskinning

Best answers
ok im not sure if anyone noticed this but if you turn on 3D rocks in the options menu the rocks in game appear when you powerup and slowly fade away.

Battle dmg could be the same.. simply make little lines and cuts for each character on there face..not clothes... and have them appear after lets say.. The character gets hit by a beam. Then they would fade away maybe 10-15 seconds later..

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
You do realise that the face is also part of the skin for the model yes?

EDIT:

Also, you probably wouldn't even see the lines if it's just on the face and disappear.

Old School
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Its still skinning all these little, minute "lines" on the models skins. Sorry but no matter how you cut it, its still not going to happen, as said countless times before.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The only way you will see battle damage, is on higher-end engines like UT2004 or HL2. HL couldn't support it without having huge frame drops.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
KidBoy17 said:
The only way you will see battle damage, is on higher-end engines like UT2004 or HL2. HL couldn't support it without having huge frame drops.
and the basis for this reasoning is...

not that im saying we should have battle damage because of the immense amount of models/skins/work it will include, but where did you get your information that it couldnt happen because of lag?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
imkongkong said:
and the basis for this reasoning is...

not that im saying we should have battle damage because of the immense amount of models/skins/work it will include, but where did you get your information that it couldnt happen because of lag?
When you have to repeatively change your model's apperance again and again while having this happen with multiple people, that would cause lag. I know this isn't their only reason for doing it, but it is one that makes it so they won't do it.

Best answers
I didn't mean to have the model replaced.. with a model with scrathces...

I meant TO have sprites put in as scratches on his face and arms Put in.. and have them fade away. And i didn't mean the 3d rocks.. but the paper 2d rocks

it would be someone like the gen ball/beam before its release you see it powerup in his hand..

Well .. same idea except after blocking a beam or hit or even being hit.. these marks(Sprites) apear on the players body. and fade away like the rocks

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Even if they were like that it would look very strange having injuries vanish.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
KidBoy17 said:
When you have to repeatively change your model's apperance again and again while having this happen with multiple people, that would cause lag. I know this isn't their only reason for doing it, but it is one that makes it so they won't do it.
Thats actually not true. The team considered adding Battle Damaged forms, but the sheer number of edits and skins required to make it work just wasn't worth the cosmetic effect. It would also increase the download size by quite a bit.

I'd rather the team focus on gameplay i.e. melee than screw around by making 100 variations of 1 model. Dissappearing scratches and bruises don't make sense, so reskinning would be the only way to do it properly.

Best answers
Zeonix said:
Thats actually not true. The team considered adding Battle Damaged forms, but the sheer number of edits and skins required to make it work just wasn't worth the cosmetic effect. It would also increase the download size by quite a bit.

I'd rather the team focus on gameplay i.e. melee than screw around by making 100 variations of 1 model. Dissappearing scratches and bruises don't make sense, so reskinning would be the only way to do it properly.

Zeo I changed what i meant at the top. They wouldn't have to alter the models.. The scratchs/bruise would be Sprites! that apear and fade kinda like the gen ball when you power it up.. after powering it up it stays with your characters hand...

Same idea except it's on the players head, arms , legs

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom