Basic Question

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have had this problem for a while and I have found no way to fix it.

When I try to run a Command Prompt command the Command Prompt only stays open for a second and then it closes completely. Such as I make a program and try to run the executable by double clicking the .exe file

I have tried to execute the program through the Command Prompt though the same problem occured.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What command are you trying to run?

You could always make a .txt file and rename it to a .bat file, open it up (with NOTEPAD) and type the desired commands and add another line that says PAUSE. Then run the .bat file and see what happend.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well it really is not much of a command. When I make a program in PASCAL and try to run it, the command prompt pops up for a second then closes. I have also noticed the same occurance whenever I try to open up something that opens up the command prompt.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Heh Pascal. Anyways, try the method I told you to use, it might help you figure out the problem.

Best answers
Well I did have a related problem when I was programming in C. When I used to write simple programs I had to put a
Code:
system("PAUSE");
at the end of the code so that after the program ran and was completed it would wait for the user to press a key before closing the console window. I dont know Pascal but maybe there is something simliar to add to the end of your code that would tell the program to wait for a user input before closing?

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Dewd In Ћe Newd said:
What command are you trying to run?

You could always make a .txt file and rename it to a .bat file, open it up (with NOTEPAD) and type the desired commands and add another line that says PAUSE. Then run the .bat file and see what happend.
Does not work. I took the .txt file I used to plan the program and changed it to a .bat. I opened it up in notepad and added PAUSE at the end of my program. It did stop it from closing though the program I wrote did not function properly at all.

madgik said:
Well I did have a related problem when I was programming in C. When I used to write simple programs I had to put a
Code:
system("PAUSE");
at the end of the code so that after the program ran and was completed it would wait for the user to press a key before closing the console window. I dont know Pascal but maybe there is something simliar to add to the end of your code that would tell the program to wait for a user input before closing?
Unfortunately I would not know a PASCAL command that would be similar to C.

Best answers
I did a bit of googling and found that if you add
Code:
ReadLn;
at the end of your program code, before the
Code:
end.
command you should get the system to pause until the user presses the "Enter" key.

Hope that helps

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
madgik said:
I did a bit of googling and found that if you add
Code:
ReadLn;
at the end of your program code, before the
Code:
end.
command you should get the system to pause until the user presses the "Enter" key.

Hope that helps
I forgot about the readln code... lol.

Alright, it fixed my problem, thanks a lot for the help.

A moderator can close this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom