basic melee combos

dor

New Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2003
Messages
275
Best answers
0
now we all know the bug combo we have in esf now (rool on the flor and keep hit 8 times)so why not doing combos for simple melee it wil be soo cool
 
Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Jan 9, 2003
Messages
4,532
Best answers
0
Did you play 1.0? When there were not restrictions on how many hits you could link together people came up with simple melee combos, but it was thought to be too powerful by the majority of the community (who found it quite complicated). As far as I know, 1.3 isn't really planned to be any different from 1.2, but if it is, it'll probably be like a more difficult version of 1.0's.
 

sub

Active Member
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Jun 18, 2003
Messages
5,960
Best answers
0
Actually, the combos of 1.0/1.1 were my favorite part about ESF. The system was so simple, yet so addictive. I'm not saying that they should come back, as I can't imagine them working at all with the teleport delay we have now. I'm just trying to say I don't understand why the team got rid of one of the games best features. I don't see how they were to powerful, they took months to master and were nearly impossible to pull off in mid fight. The idea of combos also wasn't comlicated, atleast in my head.
 
New Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2004
Messages
232
Best answers
0
I wish i was around for 1.0 style fighting.... can someone tell me how the melee worked? to me it sounds like you were able to basic melee them without stopping... doesn't that just knock you oppenent backward, or does the knockback make your opponent go in a random direction? and it seems easier because i remember playing ESF in a internet cafe just for fun and i remmeber that it swooped if u clicked on the opponent instead of double tapping as it is now...

Anyone want to help me out? this 1.0 style seems like it was alot fun and also seems like the majority of the community didn't like it getting taken away in 1.2... saying it slowed the pace of the game down extremely..
 
Active Member
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Jul 13, 2004
Messages
1,232
Best answers
0
In basic melee form ESF 1.0/1 , the chars had much more speed when meleeing.
YOu had an Lock on like Fighting Jets have it ^^
there was only basic melee it was pretty fast ^-^ anyway. YOu had to douple click to lock on your enemy and as soon as you pressed again you swooped at him. you could change the way how you was flying when oyu locked on aka changeing directions.
There was NO Teleport time Limit like it is now. And i think Basic melee also was unstopable means you could hit an enemy till he died. :p

I remember those days .lol Beeing owned before i even could look where he was coming from.I didnt master that melee back then but it sure was fun beeing owned in every way it was possible ^^
 
Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Jan 9, 2003
Messages
4,532
Best answers
0
Technically yes you could just hit them backwards over and over, but there weren't many players capable of even attempting that in 1.0 because knockback speed and distance from simple melee was something like 4x as powerful as it is now. They went so fast you almost had to have a teleport script to catch them and hit them again, but when people did it, it looked just like the show, and the guys who would hit you multiple times were the best players in the community.
 
New Member
★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Apr 15, 2003
Messages
4,628
Best answers
0
You definately cant deny that seeing one of these combo's (i cud never perform them) was amazing, the only thing is, people had no way to defend against them, and thats why it was "unfair". If they increased knockback and let the person in knockback block depending on how much ki they have/stamina then i think you could have a nice system going which wouldnt be impossible for people to learn, but would be really fun and exciting to master.
 

sub

Active Member
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Jun 18, 2003
Messages
5,960
Best answers
0
Sonic Boyster said:
Technically yes you could just hit them backwards over and over, but there weren't many players capable of even attempting that in 1.0 because knockback speed and distance from simple melee was something like 4x as powerful as it is now. They went so fast you almost had to have a teleport script to catch them and hit them again, but when people did it, it looked just like the show, and the guys who would hit you multiple times were the best players in the community.
You didn't need a teleport script to catch up to players. You could do it on your own without a problem, provided you practiced the combo enough.

Davidskiwan said:
You definately cant deny that seeing one of these combo's (i cud never perform them) was amazing, the only thing is, people had no way to defend against them, and thats why it was "unfair". If they increased knockback and let the person in knockback block depending on how much ki they have/stamina then i think you could have a nice system going which wouldnt be impossible for people to learn, but would be really fun and exciting to master.
Well, in my personal opinion a combo was pretty hard to pull off in a perfect situation, full ki and the guy standing still. If someone did manage to get a combo off on you while in a fight, you deserve to be hit and get damage taken.
 
Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Sep 20, 2003
Messages
3,211
Best answers
0
Meh, I mastered the combo in about a week. They called it the three hit combo. you'd hit them down, go after em, hit them up, teleport three times up and hit them down again. It looked amazing when someone else pulled it off. Then after that, people invented the 5 and 6 hit combos. If you were SSJ you could do it with ease, hit them down, hit them up, hit them down again, tele after them, hit them up, and tele up three times to hit tem down again. And if you can be persistant with your ki, and good aim and timing, you could do it until they died.

But as Hybrid said, pulling them in mid fight was no walk in the park. Though I also agree when he says, they were the best feature of 1.1 (never played 1.0)
 
New Member
★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Apr 15, 2003
Messages
4,628
Best answers
0
yeah but at 1.2's speed and knockback it'd be a little too easy imo. And yeah you can say you deserve the damage taken, but its a bit like saying you deserved to get hit by a a huge beam (well you do... but you dont sorta :scared: ), scince its out of your hands the moment you're hit it means you have no control over the situation. In dbz, while in knockback they werent completely unable to defend themselves all the time, if they had enough ki they'd teleport out of knockback, or block or shoot a generic attack, or counter attack the enemy's next attack, they didnt just sit there and let them hit them.
 
Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Joined
Sep 20, 2003
Messages
3,211
Best answers
0
Davidskiwan said:
yeah but at 1.2's speed and knockback it'd be a little too easy imo. And yeah you can say you deserve the damage taken, but its a bit like saying you deserved to get hit by a a huge beam (well you do... but you dont sorta :scared: ), scince its out of your hands the moment you're hit it means you have no control over the situation. In dbz, while in knockback they werent completely unable to defend themselves all the time, if they had enough ki they'd teleport out of knockback, or block or shoot a generic attack, or counter attack the enemy's next attack, they didnt just sit there and let them hit them.
Very true, and this sounds like a good suggestion Dave, perhaps something you might want to mention?
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top