Banning Scripters?

nge

Best answers
Gon, it is an issue constantly blown out of hand. Realize it for what it is; a scapegoat with rare (but not non-existant) valid complaints.

The swoop script in itself is not a serious advantage; however, having it even bound to forward swooping only on a seperate key aside regular movement keys (Mouse5, for example) offer's one a way to unfailably block/adv.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
They wouldn't be as fast as someone actually double tapping swoop. Why? Well, after a player has gotten so used to the buttons, it's pretty easy to do what you want to do. People who play normally usually have faster reactions than those who script or hack.
There is a difference between it actually. Those who double tap make mistakes, like me. Sometimes it does not swoop for me when I double tap. Could be lag, but also happens to allot of people. Those who script never have this problem, hence the unfair advantage.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Sephize said:
Even the script didn't fire all the time.
I don't know about that due i don't script at all. But i do know that having a swoop script has way less problems then those without.

Best answers
FF|Skyrider said:
I don't know about that due i don't script at all. But i do know that having a swoop script has way less problems then those without.

Skyrider you just said you don't know....then you claim to know. Make up your mind man. Though now your arguement is because people lag or have bad hardware(yes sometimes KB's wont take the input because too many buttons are pressed) that scripting is unfair. Well thats kind of silly because as has been said about 50 million times scripting comes with its downsides.

I know because I developed a scriptpack and asked the community if it wanted it released. It said no so the scriptpack never hit public, but I did test it incase it was released. I had about 4 or 5 ways to swoop scripted into that pack so that people could pick which they prefer...and each had its little problems.

I happen to agree with NGE on this issue...its blown WAY out of hand. I think its more an issue of bruised ego's needing a bandaid then anything else. Though you know what I wouldn't be surprised if that plugin showed people speaking out against scripts actually use them(if the plugin is done in a surprise manner).

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Then tell me this. Why do you think the team will add something in ESF v1.3 to prevent scripting?

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Why did the team add a teleport delay to 1.2?

nge

Best answers
Like I've said many times, if a game removes the potential for abuse to run rampant in scripts, it fixes the problem.

Best answers
FF|Skyrider said:
Then tell me this. Why do you think the team will add something in ESF v1.3 to prevent scripting?
Wow just like everytime this debate comes up points are ignored completely and the conversation changed to something supposedly more easily defended. Though I will take this apart too just for the heck of it. Why do I think the team will do something to prevent scripting in v1.3(I'll take your word that they are since I haven't kept track)? Because of people who whine and moan like there is no tomorrow whenever the S word is brought up. They are a very vocal group... If they(the team) were so truely against scripting why pick an engine that so openly supports it? Why not put in some way to prevent it to begin with? I believe they took that stance because of how loudly the community shouted...and I've seen this sort of thing happen in many games(vocal groups getting what they want while not reflecting the whole).

Theres a difference between scripts, exploits, and cheats. Which people can't seem to understand. Sure scripts can be made to take advantage of exploits....is that the fault of the script or is it due to the fact that there is an exploit in the game? Now I'm not saying that using scripts that exploit a bug is fine and dandy...I'm saying theres a difference between straight exploiting and scripting. In my opinion scripting is simply a way to make controls respond in a way you are more comfortable with. It certainly doesn't make you suddenly a god at a game...you still have to control your char, your aim, and predict your enemy. Those things should be the main focus of a game like this...not how many buttons per second you can push. Like I said before so long as the main focus is how many buttons per second people will find ways to make it easier...either through scripts, hardware, or software.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
somerandomguy said:
In my opinion scripting is simply a way to make controls respond in a way you are more comfortable with. It certainly doesn't make you suddenly a god at a game...you still have to control your char, your aim, and predict your enemy. Those things should be the main focus of a game like this...not how many buttons per second you can push. Like I said before so long as the main focus is how many buttons per second people will find ways to make it easier...either through scripts, hardware, or software.

Ok i see your point, but try to see mine here in this example i give.

Example- Two people who have the exact same ping and the exact same computer would have equal abilities on both sides. By abilities I'm referring to reaction speed, accuracy ect.. Now if i gave 1 of them a swoop script that makes swooping possible by pressing 1 button(without double tapping), I've just unbalanced the *fairness* in that(the scriptor) player's favor..

Why?

Because the player without scripts STILL has to double tap, which takes more coordination and thought process then pressing one button.

Now if your saying SOOOO? it doesn't make much of a time difference.

What if both players were in an intense battle and the pressure was on? The Fair player would have a hard time keeping the timing the double tap at the correct speed.. compared to the scriptor who still only has to press 1 button..

In my opinion... What EVER commands that the scripts need to work.. should be voided in console on online servers...

nge

Best answers
Jinx, if you did that you'd end up blocking every single action ever. We'd have a virtual chatroom, except you couldn't chat either. You couldn't even connect to servers. You'd just decompile the game.

Best answers
I'm sorry, but the only thing I see in this thread is someone from Europe or w/e complaining about crappy players scripting to swoop easier. I think it was said before that the more experienced players find it rather effortless to swoop in almost any ping. And turbo + charge? Wow.. All I have to do it press e+t and hold e. 90 degree turns? LoL. Almost impossible to have a completely working script like that. They are dependant on an accurate FPS imput in the script. And like said before, really unaccurate against non-new players who are always moving around. These scripts are almost all useless. Why even argue about this crap. Ban if you want, but barely anyone in the whole ESF community scripts.

Best answers
dumbscripts said:
Ok i see your point, but try to see mine here in this example i give.

Example- Two people who have the exact same ping and the exact same computer would have equal abilities on both sides. By abilities I'm referring to reaction speed, accuracy ect.. Now if i gave 1 of them a swoop script that makes swooping possible by pressing 1 button(without double tapping), I've just unbalanced the *fairness* in that(the scriptor) player's favor..

Why?

Because the player without scripts STILL has to double tap, which takes more coordination and thought process then pressing one button.

Now if your saying SOOOO? it doesn't make much of a time difference.

What if both players were in an intense battle and the pressure was on? The Fair player would have a hard time keeping the timing the double tap at the correct speed.. compared to the scriptor who still only has to press 1 button..

In my opinion... What EVER commands that the scripts need to work.. should be voided in console on online servers...
So if I get this right, it's 1 player that whines and moans about lag and keyjams and how the other is cheating and then shouting "OMG typekiller!!" and 1 who is actually enjoying the fight because the game responds, apart from the drawbacks of the script ofcourse and the 1 or 2 times that the script doesn't work but doesn't require to scream " OMG IM HAVING BAD LAG!!!"... ?

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Some ESF's top ranked players do script. Infact, there are rare people which don't script. US players like Sub and others have developed their statement about scripts and I doub't they use them.

BUT

Scripting is unfortunantley becomen normal in europe. Every 1 in 5 players scripts.
Hence, some people don't even WANT to script. But they started because others where using scripts. So untill 1.3 I guess either whole community will start to script, or 1/2 of community will be banned. And that will leave a handfull of players including me on drowned servers with nobody but starting n00bs, and a few of americans which dare to play even due to ping.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Well, what other option is there then. There are no plugins "at the moment" that stops the scripters.

Best answers
Do people replace their movement keys or add the swoops to different buttons?
Because obviously replacing their movement keys has serious repercussions

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
g0jack, as far as i know. They put the scripts in *.cfg files and open them in the console.

Best answers
Personally I'm done stating my view on the subject. It obvious the people who think scripts are pure evil aren't going to be swayed and I'm not going to be swayed in my opinion. So any further discussion is rather pointless....well unless its in private chat where they don't feel pressured out of saying "hey maybe they aren't so bad", but I doubt I'd even care to do that anymore.

Anyway G0jack-

It all depends on the person who made the script and their pref. I made a couple scripts awhile back for that pack incase it got released. One of my favorites out of it though replaced the movement keys, BUT it only did so when a button was held(I picked basic melee button). Of course that causes some problems when the switch between the bindings doen't take....I overcame that problem, but I'm not going to go into detail. So anyway theres one example of one that replaces the keys, but someone else mentioned simply having an extra button on the mouse bound to swoop. So theres an example of the other way.

Gon

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
EncorE_SX said:
Some ESF's top ranked players do script. Infact, there are rare people which don't script. US players like Sub and others have developed their statement about scripts and I doub't they use them.

BUT

Scripting is unfortunantley becomen normal in europe. Every 1 in 5 players scripts.
Hence, some people don't even WANT to script. But they started because others where using scripts. So untill 1.3 I guess either whole community will start to script, or 1/2 of community will be banned. And that will leave a handfull of players including me on drowned servers with nobody but starting n00bs, and a few of americans which dare to play even due to ping.

Heh, I don't know Europe players, so nice information.

Anyways, I don't think this scripting stuff is really getting anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom