Bandock's Collection of Current Projects

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Due to interest, I have decided to create a thread consisting of projects I've been doing on my own time. This can range from different programming languages to even different environments. Heck, possibly with other tools.

Here are the current projects I have been working on:

ClassicVCom HD:
A C++ project that has started since April 2015. This project came about due to having a thought of what it would be like to have retro-styled gaming (ranging from 1-bit to 4-bit, which now can go to 6-bit colors) @ 1080p. As a matter of fact, you could make something akin to games made in the 80s within a much higher resolution. It currently even has it's own DOS-like environment. IDE I used for this project was Microsoft Visual Studio 2013, but early on was upgraded to 2015 due to binary notation support. It even utilizes SDL 2.0 (at the time of earlier releases, 2.0.3). Many plans include 8-bit Audio with 5.1 support, resolutions that can range from 320x240 (One of the nostalgic MS-DOS Resolutions) to 1920x1080. No plans for a 4K model yet. Virtual hard drive will be about 256MB.

Here is a link to one of the Emscripten-produced releases: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24250760/Test Releases/ClassicVCom_HD/ClassicVCom_HD.html (Might be slightly outdated though.)

Here are a current list of commands for this test release:
CD - Changes directories. Only one at a time at present. 8 character max.
Clear - Clears the screen.
Dir - Displays the current directory.
Format - Supposed to format the virtual hard drive. Does not work yet.
Mem - Displays the amount of memory available.
Mkdir - Makes a directory inside the current directory.
Rmdir - Removes a directory inside the current directory.
Run - Runs a program. Doesn't work fully yet.
Shutdown - Shuts down the system.

WebGL Support Library
A BYOND project that is basically being designed to enable convenient use of WebGL with DM-based projects. Not much to say on this one at the moment.

I got more to list as I either get back to work on other projects or bring forth some new and interesting projects.

✔️ HL Verified
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
Nice man, ClassicVCom looks quite interesting, I like it how Emscripten is able to support libaries like SDL so easily. Did you create any game prototypes with this?

Speaking of the BYOND project, why did you choose for plain WebGL and not the more extensive ThreeJS library?

Keep on learning!

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Nice man, ClassicVCom looks quite interesting, I like it how Emscripten is able to support libaries like SDL so easily. Did you create any game prototypes with this?

Speaking of the BYOND project, why did you choose for plain WebGL and not the more extensive ThreeJS library?

Keep on learning!
I haven't created any game prototypes yet, though I do have a game project floating around called SkyDrop Delivery (which was originally built for BYOND back in between 2010 and 2011, but ported over to SDL 2.0.x with new features). While not my first game I built in C++ (that title was pretty much taken by the C++ version of Text City Simulator, which was developed around 2004/2005), it was nonetheless my first graphical C++ game (C++ version started in between July and August 2013).

Still working on prototypes as well that involve different things like the Leap Motion Controller.

As for ThreeJS, I have never heard of that library before. I might look to see if I can interface it with BYOND. I was able to successfully interface LeapJS with it as well glMatrix (which helps with matrices for WebGL).

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
BYOND as in the Dream Seeker thing? That's pretty funny, I used to waste a bunch of time on that a long time ago, it was pretty fun to mess around with.

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
BYOND as in the Dream Seeker thing? That's pretty funny, I used to waste a bunch of time on that a long time ago, it was pretty fun to mess around with.
Yep, that thing. :p

I haven't been as active on BYOND lately till just rather recent to try bringing more 3D support through WebGL (using the Webclient).

I originally joined because of DBZ anyhow (Dragonball Zeta, the one game many used to know).

Best answers
I used to play Zeta all the time! Big fan of Byond, good times :D Wish that game made a comeback...

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
I used to play Zeta all the time! Big fan of Byond, good times :D Wish that game made a comeback...
Indeed. Shame it went down (which was way before the cease and desist order that happened on DBZ games years later).

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Thought I would provide an update in reference to the ClassicVCom HD. I was able to optimize it to run on 1080p by changing some of the code (due to using the wrong methods that resulted in rather sub-optimal performance). It might even be capable of running at 2160p (though untested and will likely lead to a newer virtual model called the ClassicVCom UHD). :p

This also led to various code structure changes (such as a nicely dedicated GPU class instead of trying to have everything in the main class for rendering).

One possibility is the virtual machine may turn open source someday. One nice perk to this virtual machine is that it will be free. I have plans of allowing anyone to even distribute their own projects made for the virtual machine for free, open source, or even commercial. Only condition I have for this virtual machine is that itself should remain free. If you had to pay for this virtual machine, you likely have been ripped off (if that ever happens). :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom