Bajillion Packets

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Okay, I have this really funky problem.

Look at how many packets my laptop has sent out in just 15 minutes.

My laptop has always done this, even when I turned it on for the first time. Does anybody have a clue what could be causing that? I'm fairly certain it isn't a trojan or DOS attack or anything because it was doing that before I've even downloaded anything, and it's never even bogged down the network.

Best answers
HOLY CRAP! That's one ****load of packets.

I'm not too experienced in this field, but I'd get a firewall or something similar.

Or maybe you've got a crapload of spyware.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have run the latest definitions of AVG(my antivirus) Ad-Aware, and Spybot Search and Destroy...

none of them have picked up a thing.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That is very bizarre, sending out an ammount that much larger than what you're recieving... I have to say I've never seen something like that before. Usually it's the other way around, but nowhere near that much of a difference.
Laptops use NICs just like desktops when they're using a direct connection, right?
If you've scanned for spyware and adware, and know it isn't some kind of attack, the only thing I can think of is a fault in the hardware.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Deman said:
Okay, I have this really funky problem.

Look at how many packets my laptop has sent out in just 15 minutes.

My laptop has always done this, even when I turned it on for the first time. Does anybody have a clue what could be causing that? I'm fairly certain it isn't a trojan or DOS attack or anything because it was doing that before I've even downloaded anything, and it's never even bogged down the network.
I'm guessing it's a bug or something.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What kind of ethernet card do you have in that thing? Maybe that's the problem.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, after talking with several people about it (I'm a psychology major living smack dab in a hall full of computer science majors) we've all come to the conclusion that it is a hardware bug of some sort.

SaiyanPrideXIX, It is an Intel Pro/100 VE

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom