Axe Advice

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alright, so lately I've been feeling the pull back to playing again. Thing is, I didn't have any formal training, and lack the funds to get formal training now. I'm pretty sure a lot of you guys taught yourself to play, so what advice do you have to offer? Any specific books, websites, or anything else like that? :O

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Listen to songs and try to use your ear or look up tabs of your song and play along with them that helped me in the start.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i think mad axeman posted a really good website that had alot of tabs and whatnot for all kinds of songs, it had bass tabs too.

i had it favorited on my other computer.

i'm sure he'll post it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah that was it! thanks dark. thats a good place, it has all the music and frets and stuff for all kinds of songs, and it tells you how to tune your guitar to get a similiar sound.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Power Tab

The most popular Power Tab site is pretty much dead now (due to its owners being complete pussies), but you can find all their tabs mirrored on ultimate-guitar.com

(ultimate-guitar.com had/has a lot of popup ads, either disable javascript for that site, or add "http://ultimate-guitar.com/*.js" to your AdBlock filters)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
www.ultimate-guitar.com is great.

I suggest getting Guitar Pro 5. I have it, and I download Guitar pro tabs from ultimate guitar. It's nice because you can press ctrl+space to start the song, and it will play the song for you. And you can play along with it. You can also mute the drums bass and anything else to play along with just the guitar. Or mute the gutar and play along with the drums and bass.

I learned by starting with chords. I would play some chords and turn them into like a mini song. It helped with 2 things. 1. It helped me strengthen my fingers. 2. It helps you move around the neck. Scales also help with both of these.

Of course the best way to learn a song you like, is to practice practice practice. You just have to keep practicing. I, myself, have a hard time sticking to one subject as I have a short attention span. So I work on 2 songs at a time. I'll get bored of one song, and move on to the next. Then get bored of it, and go back to the other one. It helps me stay concentrated.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The best advice I can offer is that you will improve in sudden, unexpected bursts. Meaning, literally, after six months of seemingly no progress, you will one day stumble into some new thing that will open up a whole new world of possibilities to you. My point is, keep at it, even if it seems you aren't progressing. And experiment often. Some of the most highly regarded modern guitarists play the instrument in all kinds of stupid ways.

Remember the four frets/four fingers theory. I.E., try not to waste fingers. If you have your index finger on the second fret, and you need to go to the fourth fret, use your ring finger. If you need to go to the third from that same position, use your middle finger. THe fifth fret, your pinky.

Understanding that concept is vital to playing down the road.

Learning the methods in other people's songs is more important than actually successfully emulating them. When playing another person's song, try putting your own spin on it if you like--always be creative, never limit yourself, or you will quickly become good at five things and be clueless about the rest.

That includes speed picking and all that other crap.

There's no such thing as an unhealthy influence.

Always keep the guitar tuned, even if you have to rely on an electronic tuner. Without a consistent tuning you can be playing any tab or song perfectly right but it will sound terrible and you will subsequently make no progress.

Hit the strings hard enough to get good attack, but let the pick flex; if you're holding it tight enough that the strings are giving you a lot of resistance, you're either holding the pick in an off way or the strings are too tight.

Chords are an excellent starting point but they can be hard for an untrained hand to grasp. I recommend starting with power chords, the simpler shapes that you can learn to move around the neck. That gave me a better understanding of rhythm and melody than the chords did. Once your hand is a little trained tackling the chords is a lot easier.

There's a lot more tips I posted in another guitar thread awhile back, if you feel like searching. But the most important advice is this: don't listen to anyone who tells you how to play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom