Attacker & Defender

Best answers
I made this separate thread based on Stamina having influence on increasing Ki Regeneration rates. I want to develop the idea of the Attacker and Defender scenario.

It was suggested that no stamina should result in no Ki Regen, but for various reasons, that would just make it harder for the Defender to rebound. Instead, the Defender doesn't incur a penalty, but the Attacker maintains a comparative bonus. Also it's important to note that the Ki cost of standing is increased. For a higher Ki Regeneration player, this doesn't matter too much, but for someone lower on Stamina...

We'll assume the ideal situation for this example:

One player has Full Stamina, the other has about a 1/5 Stamina left. In this situation, based off of the bonuses Stamina gives the first player, he becomes the Attacker. The other player becomes the Defender.

Lets consider the objectives, strengths, and weaknesses of both roles here.

Attacker:
-Has a higher Stamina level
-Regenerates Ki faster
-Regenerates health faster

Defender:
-Has a lower Stamina level
-Regenerates Ki more slowly
-Regenerates health slowly

The Attacker gained the advantage through a chain of attacks. This is not an unfair result. The fact that the Defender has a chance to rebound and put the Attacker into the defensive makes this interesting and more engaging.

Essentially the Defender's main goal is to block enough attacks so that his Stamina will recover, so that he can get the hell out of the situation he's currently in, which will allow him to jump onto the offensive again. Survival is the objective.

The Attacker's main goal is to both suppress the Defender to keep him locked in this state, with the intention of maintaining his own momentum and killing the opponent over time, or possibly creating a finisher from a knockdown.

As I mentioned before, the lower your Stamina, the more costly it is to stand and expend your Ki for it. A series of knockdowns would result in a temporary knockout. While the Defender waits for their Ki to come back so they might stand, the Attacker is charging his Beam attack.

The Attacker, with a higher Ki regeneration, has the ultimate advantage in this situation. PL is now just a factor to Stamina's role in PL struggles.

There are three possibilities from a Knockout/Knockdown:
1: The Attacker fires and blows the Defender to smithereens.

2: The Attacker fires, and the Defender manages to stand and avoid part of the blast.

3: The Attacker fires, but the Defender has 5 times his PL! OMG. He regenerates some Ki and blocks the attack.

The player with the higher PL takes a gamble. If he manages to recover all of his Ki, he still doesn't have the Ki regeneration bonus that the Attacker does. He has to overpower the Attacker from the start and give it all he has or he'll lose.

The result is watching the Defender put up an incredible fight. He could push the attack all the way back to the Attacker within seconds, but if he can't finish the job, it will fly right back in his face. At the peak of the struggle, once he runs out of Ki and taps into what little Stamina he has, he either wins or collapses in one quick motion.

If a Bomb attack is fired, they are generally easier to beat. Because of this, I would suggest that Bomb attacks should either have a larger explosion radius, in order to force the Defender to HAVE to block it instead of running, or do more damage, so that if they fail blocking or try to run, it will hurt them more. Or increase it's initial power in a block/struggle.

Now finally consider "Second Winds." If a player can transform and the Stamina is ADDED to their current, then a player stuck in a Defender role can immediately break out of it by transforming. David, if you hate the idea of Ki Regeneration manipulation with Stamina, or the Defender situation, then play a SSJ, and you won't have to worry as much. Perma-trans will have to worry about it the most.

If a player loses stamina with SSJ, it will only be a temporary window to counter. If a Permatrans doesn't lose Stamina, they won't have to play as the Defender as long, and it will be more difficult for SSJ to maintain the Attacker role. If they set themselves up by fighting at a lower trans state, and THEN transform to the next level, it'll be easier and more effective. This also regulates how transforms are used in combat.

I could go on forever about how this would improve the game and how well it syncs with what you're planning, but I think I made the most important points. It changes up the game play and encourages playing both offense and defense well. It also ties Beam and Bomb attacks to the result of extended meleeing, but doesn't limit them to it. With this change, you can make PL have a greater influence on Ki attacks, since Stamina creates circumstances that will greatly be against a higher PL Defender.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom