ATI RADEON 9800 PRO

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hey i just got an ATI Radeon 9800 pro installed into my computer. and my fps havent changed any and my other card was a GeForce2 MX/MX 400. anyone care to help me?

Best answers
have you set fps_max yet? default its 72.0
go to your esf folder and open config.cfg, then look for the line fps_max and set it to 100, its max for Half Life

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you use WinXP, you must remove VSync (which I do not recommend due to tearing). You can remove VSync by going into Display > Settings > Advanced > (video card tab) > one of those options should disable VSync. It depends on your drivers. If you do not know what tearing it, disable VSync and play ESF.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yes i know what tearing is. and yes i know how to do the whole fps_max thing. but i dont see why my fps are so low. i was told that this video card is good. and it really hasnt changed much from my Geforce2.

Best answers
your FPS is not always determined by your card. A lot of it depends on cpu speed, and hard drive speed, and the amount of ram you got.

Friend of mines got a 2.8P4 and 1gb of DDR ram, with a GF2 and gets 100fps.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well i told cucumba my pc stuff like ghz and ram and stuff and he said my card is the only thing holding me back. well i got that card. everyone recommended this card so i got it. and im not too pleased. it was almost 300 dollars. i expect more than 40 fps with a 300 dollar video card. and my GeForce2 MX 400 got better fps than this. there HAS to be a way to make my fps go up up up.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well it isn't the card holding you back
seeing how I have the same card and get 80+ fps @ 1600x1200 res -_-

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
i got the same card and i get about 75fps

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
FirePheonix, have you checked out the ATI optimization thread by SaiyanPride? Just do a search on threads made by him, but he gives an extremely thorough how to on making your ATI scream HL in all caps and bright annoying colors ;)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
sorry i couldnt find it i looked at all sayinprides threads. maybe you can help me find the right one?

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'll search for it when I have the chance, or he'll let you know if he sees this. Hopefully.

Best answers
$300!! wow you got burned!! I paid $200. hehe, my FPS is fine, but i can't play online so, i can't tell ya, especially since i got 56k...

Sound Artist
Best answers
He had a fairly decent computer, with that card his fps should be in the 70's range. You sure you downloaded the latest Radeon drivers, they've improved performance a great deal. DX9 of course. How much ram do you have? What is it pc 2100? HDD won't make a huge difference and your processor was around 2 Ghz right? give or take a few?
What resolution are you using? The high detail textures ususally drop ya 20 FPS.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
heh, why not go the cheap way like i did, i gots me a 9600, brought a big GC fan, slapped it on, overclocked the mother like hell and im getting 6800pro performance for a much cheaper price =)

Best answers
6800pro theres no such thing as a 6800 pro....(yet)
either your confused with the new Nvidia cards, or your claiming that your 9600 can match the new nvidia cards, in which case I just have to say that i clocked my NES so it now works like a Gamecube...:p
anyway maybe try reformatting your pc, that usually works best if you got new hardware

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
to Matiasg: I said ALMOST 300. and plus we live in different states. different states=different price

To; Freedom i have P4 Windows xp home edition 1.7 GHz 256 ram

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom