Arnie and Jackie Chan take on piracy, Hollywood style!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thanks, I've posted this on my site. I was wondering, how can you pirate medicine? o_O

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was wondering, how can you pirate medicine?
[align=center]

Just download Vaccine 120%. Ive heard its good against viruses.[/align]

You just make pills with the same active ingredients. Its like clothing from Mexico, except with prescription drugs rather than brand labels. Drug companies make ****loads of money off selling their drugs (one of the reasons I hate US TV is all the god damn drug ads), so theyre bound to be pissed when somebody comes along and starts making their copyrighted drug.

Im sure Id get along okay without new music, I wouldnt mind a few fewer new movies, and after lots of grieving I would get over no new games, but if the drug companies go under because of counterfeiting, China will kill us all with their next pandemic.

Now, maybe the fact that people are willing to go risk buying counterfeit drugs is an indication that your drugs are way too fricking expensive. Think, Arnie, think!

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mad_AxMan said:
you need a better job then. and FYI, i pay not only for myself, but also my entire family. and i can still afford to go get a cd, or a movie etc. and im on a fairly low income.

bottom line; you wont pay for it because you dont have to, which is all well and good. but one day your not even going to be able to download things, because movies wont be produced, bands wont exist, and artists will stay well away from games development. and all because no one can afford to make them anymore.

you might think that your just 1 person, and 1 person downloading stuff wont make a difference. but the problem comes in, when 10 million people have the same opinion as you, thats £5 per person to see a movie.

thats £50 million

£12 per cd

thats £170 million

£30 per game (new release)

£470 million

not such a small figure now eh?

one of the reasons prices are so high, is because they physically cant afford to produce the things any lower.

you look at a CD. most people think its like 10p at most to make a cd. which is complete bull****. they forgot to take into account the employment of everyone who worked on the mixing of the tracks, to the artwork in the slieve, or even the bands themselves.

if you only want one song from a CD, then download it through iTunes or some other legal source, heck, even buy the single? thats what its there for.

im sure nothing ive said will change your opinion. but that goes to show just how small your mind is, if you cant grasp the full facts.
Are you 17? Are you in New York? Do people turn you down for a job simply because you're not old enough? Are you in highschool? Can $200 dollars a week pay for utility bills, food, and w/e else I need as well as lots of games? No, it can't.

You keep bringing up movies and songs like I go on a downloading spree. I have 10 songs on my pc. OMG! NOW NO ONE WILL MAKE ANY MONEY!! OH NOES!! Oh wait, the artists are still filthy rich and are still living in one of their 20 mansions. I rarely download movies. When I do, they are either already on dvd or aren't good enough to pay 8 bucks for.

I download A LOT of games. And yet....games are still being made. People are still making money, and I still have 50 dollars in my pocket at the end of the week to spend on myself and my girlfriend.

Oh noes. They are losing money. I am sad now. Surely the video game industry will come to a grinding halt because people download games.

When I do buy games, I buy games from Russia. Why? Because I can get new games for 5-10 dollars.

No, you haven't changed my opinion because you aren't in my situation. You can't empathize with me, and I dont give a rats ass how much money giant corporations lose. If I really like a game that I've downloaded, I buy it. If a really good movie comes out, I pay to see it. When a really good album comes out, I buy it. They want my money? They can increase the quality of their products. Until then, Im saving as much money as I can for college.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Senseless justifications of a spoiled internet era brat; nothing more. I've heard that whole "If I like something I go buy it" thing a million times. We're on the internet, it's not like I can come to your house and see if you're full of ****. Of course, of the people I know who say that in real life, they are 100% lying. A couple of them even carry around a huge 200-disc CD book worth of ripped off stuff (they're brothers, for the record, so they share everything they steal).

I thought about it, and want to know: What can we do to stop piracy? Join a website that uses the registered members list to say how many people want to stop it? We really can't do anything but ask that they stop downloading. Cops aren't going to go bust a 19 year old for downloading The Matrix, it's a waste of time.

What can you do to help...?
Getting people to stop downloading ****, I think is the idea. It is a matter of honor, in a sense. Nobody who grew up with the Internet is ever going to understand the idea of having to earn something ever again; this forum and this thread are enough to show that. There is a big difference between downloading some outrageously priced thing, of course, I can at least understand that, because it is so far out of the realm of possibility for people individually to afford. But movies are 10-20 bucks. Games are 40-50. Music is 20 bucks tops unless you are buying something ridiculous. I mean what the ****...my brother works at K-mart PART TIME for like, slightly above minimum wage and he can afford pretty much everything he wants, despite a huge addiction to scratch tickets and the constant cost of gas and cigarettes (which here are fairly expensive). And he has an extremely *****y needy girlfriend, too, so that isn't even the x-factor, either.

So when people say "Oh no, this big company lost 1 million dollars due to piracy, oh no, I'm so sad, look at me cry," do some math before you start thinking like that. Hmm, maybe the Wachowski brothers losing 1 million dollars is no big deal because they have 700000000 bajillion anyway. But who do you think gets the screwjob in the deal? You don't steal from the corporation--it's the innocent people on the lowest rungs of the production ladder that get hit with that stuff, not the big name actors, producers, or the name of the production company on the side of the box. It's the set painters, the construction guys, etc. that get the axe first. Just like my friend's father.

And you're right. I can't empathize.

If you earn money you get to buy things, that's how it's supposed to work. 'Nuff said.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Woah now guys, we're getting a little too heated for comfort. I'm not sure if it's even possible, but if you guys could take two steps back and three deep breaths I'm sure we can level this thing out. You guys can feel free to debate back and forth but let's watch the asterisks and personal attacks, alright? Attack the idea, not the individual.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fair enough. I will erase. My friend wouldn't want me talking about that stuff anyhow.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Am I allowed to respond to his post or what?

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Nah, I don't think its a good idea.

Piracy is wrong, but most, if not all of us have done it. I mean if your broke and you really just nead that one game, album or movie and you know you can get it for free, your going to. Im guilty of this.

Anyways, did anyone see that the car chase came from Bad Boys II?

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I only would download a song if I really like it, and I don't download that much, I rather download from a site, legally (if you can call that legally), then from a p2p server,

But games? no.. I would never download them, I rather buy them, 1) it takes too long to download them, and 2) Its not really fair against those people who work hard to make that game.

Now you probably say "omg, your a hypocryt! you do care about game developers but not about artists!!! omg!"

That's not true, Its just that, I don't go buy an entire CD for 2 songs while the rest of the 20 is garbage to me, and if I do like that artist allot I just go buy the CD. (omg omg then just don't like the song *stfu*)

Besides, sites as www.pandora.com are great too, they play songs too, and its legal (at least I think it is o_0 )

But yeah, I can understand why they take action against piracy.

Can get a little too far though, Sony implented the DRM security thing into their CD's (or however it is called), it installs a root kit in your computer, wich is allmost the same as a damn virus,

I think its fine if people want to protect their CD's from copying, but its ridiculous to bring out a CD that whipes out your windows.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hehe, unfortunately for us/you, sony arent doing anything illegal. since it says in all the booklets within sony cd's that loading it onto your computer will do that, and that by putting the disk into your machine, your agreeing to it being there. stupid thing is, no one ever reads them ;)

its just like computer game EULA agreements. most people just click agree, and then complain like hell cos theyve gotten a "raw deal".

its just sony has found a new way to protect themselves.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Why do you think Sony started using that poorly made DRM?

KyoKusanagi

K
Ok its been a while since my last post and here I go.

I don't believe demos give enough of a taste of what a game has to offer. Or singles for that matter.

Often with singles, they're just a song with a few crappy b-sides or remixes of the original. Nothing special in most cases but there are the odd exceptions to the rule.

As for demos, I'd prefer to play the real thing through first just to make sure that theres nothing that bothers me about it (e.g. bugs, glitches, repetitive gameplay) and I will say that i'd rather rent a game than download it to test first. Its not reasonable to make a decision about purchasing a game by playing it for 10 minutes. I would've purchased 187 Ride Or Die based on the 3 minute play i had at a friends place until i got a copy of it and realised that it was the same game the entire way through. Same with NARC and Dead To Rights.

For example, when the Ford Focus RS was released in the UK, no dealers had the car in the showrooms. Which meant that you had to make the decision then and there to buy the car. Would you buy the car without having first test drove it, and secondly making sure that your knew all its problems? Its all well and good to read about it in a magazine but until you experience it for yourself, you may aswell be buying blind.

The exact same goes for PC games.

Other reasons I can think of why piracy is popular is poor management of release dates and the total disregard for PAL regions.

How many times has there been a game released in the US, MONTHS before any of the PAL regions (sif wait 6 months for Tekken 5, 8 months for Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater). And these companies wonder why more and more people are turning to piracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom