Armistice day

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

i just got back from london's Armistice service...

Best answers
It's Rememberance Day here in Canada.... Close enough, huh?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yes as i was talking with Maj on msn earlier, Rememberance sunday is the closest sunday to the 11/11 over here, but we also have 2 minutes of silence at 11am today. so you can still pay your respects, and then attend the full survice on the sunday.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Even remembering the deaths of countless soldiers who fought for the same cause countries need to have their own names... It's really kind of sad..

Best answers
Indeed it is Veteran's Day in the U.S. A time for rememberance and thanks to our veterans. Not too many WWII veterans left, which is really sad.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
in england, the oldest man in england is 109, and he is the last survivor of BOTH world wars in this country... and when i saw him on the news, he looked like such a fun old dude! laughing, smiling, singing along with his friends, and then he broke down into tears =[

poor old guy.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tassadar said:
Indeed it is Veteran's Day in the U.S. A time for rememberance and thanks to our veterans. Not too many WWII veterans left, which is really sad.
I read that there were only about 30-50 left, or at least in the USA. Seeing that is has been half a century since WWII and I, the day gets more meaningful as years go by.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Chakra-X said:
I read that there were only about 30-50 left, or at least in the USA. Seeing that is has been half a century since WWII and I, the day gets more meaningful as years go by.
There are over 2 million world war two veterans left in america.

There are only about 200 WWI veterans left in america.

My grandfather, who is still alive, served in World war II.

Happy Rememberance/Armistice/Veterans day, all these soldiers deserve respect for fighting for their own cause.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know very little about my great grandfather, But im pretty sure he was in the Navy in WWI... I could be wrong. But my grandfather was an Electrician's Mate in WWII in the pacific. Part of why I, myself, wanted to join the navy. This was my father's father, but he died when my father was 12, so I never knew him. My grandfather on my Mother's side was in Korea in the Army, and saw combat. Just an old Peurto Rican man. Likes to pick up a guitar play it while singing. Went back to Peurto Rico to retire, and i have not seen him since my highschool Graduation about over 2 years ago. As far as I know he's still well.

I currently work with another Veteran. A Man named Richard Giles. Served in the navy in WWII in Naval Intelligence. A little story from him is that when he recieved weapons training with an M1 rifle, he was a terrible shot. The instructor asked him what the problem was and he replied "Thats why I joined the navy, so I wouldn't have to fire one of these." He apparently had terrible Eyesight back then, let alone now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom