Are We Really Ready For NGCG?

Best answers
I’d have to say I’m not sure if I’m ready for the next generation console gaming or not anymore. At first I was really excited about all the cool, rumoured features and the prospect of more realistic graphics, and more processing power and other secrets, however Im starting too worry about the actual quality of games. This started to bug me abit, as i browsed through most of the next-generation games, mainly in the XB360 sections, looking at videos and images and ect.

And it just dosen't seem like that much of a jump from the current generation and when i say this, i was expecting jumps like SNES to Sega Saturn and PSX or N64 to Sega Dreamcast and PS2. I mean yea, im sure the next consoles are going to offer a lot in the way of services to gamers everywhere and all, but i still feel like their somewhat rushing and forcing certain things on video game fans as well as the developers. I mean, i know you don't have to buy the the next-gen consoles so early or at all it's a choice, but if your a fan of video games and want too enjoy the latest and greatest games, then there basically something you have too buy.

I also think that by switching platforms in such a short amount of time, we’re really missing out on a lot of potential, for our current generation systems. Developers are clearly starting to pull the absolute most out of current hardware. Just look at RE4, Zelda: TP, Forza, and MGS3. They all look like early next generation titles. It doesn’t seem to make much sense to well, kinda force developers back to square one just for the sake of better hardware sooner.

Why not wait a year or so, when we have that much better and cheaper hardware available for a true next generation gaming experience. I guess I’m trying to say that I am looking forward to the new features that the new systems will offer, but I just don’t know if they are going to be worth the price of admission compared to what I’m already playing now or/and what i played a few years before this generation of gaming. Despite my state of mind, the next generation of console gaming is fast approaching, and I’m anticipating it with guarded enthusiasm.

Any other opinions on the matter?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I remember, when I first so screenshots and pictures of Super Smash Brothers Melee, that was a "aw snap!!" feeling, seeing how detailed they were. I'd expect a smiliar emotion when I see screenshos of next generation console games.

But, you bring up a point that some pretty high quality games for curent systems are being made. I could see them wating one more year to make new ones, but they may be todingthe bare maximum on teh current consoles and may need more power. But, I do not want a lame ass generic game with great graphics, but bad gameplay.

I really don't know what other things can be improved with next generation consoles, besides graphics and the length of the game, so I will assume they know what they are doing.

DMW

Best answers
I am ready for it,i agree with the maximum of the current systems power being reached.I am expecting some fancy stuff from the next gen consoles(xbo 360 has already cought my eye).They need more power for better games,that actually have good gameplay.Hopefully this generation will be able to make some decent sequals to their games.Las year there wasnt that many games with good seq's.

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, go with Nintendo Revolution then,
they seem to be offering more content I think.

Best answers
I remember, when I first so screenshots and pictures of Super Smash Brothers Melee, that was a "aw snap!!" feeling, seeing how detailed they were. I'd expect a smiliar emotion when I see screenshos of next generation console games.
I got that same feeling when i saw SSBM as well. But sadly for me, im just not getting that same feeling this time around about any next generation games so far that has images and videos. It just dosen't look all that impressive i guess. Just take a look at DOA 4, that's the only first-party game i was looking forward too on the XB360 so far. I expected that game to really jump in graphics, but it pretty much look like it did this generation with minor improvement, that and Tony Hawk WL look the same, but i can't say the same about the gameplay of the games since im sure it will be improved which is a good thing.

I mean, for a company like microsoft and their fans who seem to go on and on about power, specs and ect and for their next-gen games i have too say, that they don't really look impressive at all or that much diffrent from the current generation. I can't say the same for sony yet though.

I am ready for it, i agree with the maximum of the current systems power being reached. They need more power for better games,that actually have good gameplay.
Well maybe the maximum probally has been reached, but that's no reason they still can't make great games for our current gaming consoles. I mean, why rush the next systems out so quickly if this power they keep going on about isn't being displayed all that much.

I really don't know what other things can be improved with next generation consoles, besides graphics and the length of the game, so I will assume they know what they are doing.
I guess you might be right, maybe they do know what there doing. Now that i think about it, im probally wrong about this anyway, i mean i guess many games don't look that great until alittle later on so maybe im judging all of this way too quickly.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I just hope gameplay will improve along with the graphics.

I don't want to play Gran Turismo 32342352143 with uber graphics if all you do is drive around the same circuits all the time.

The new consoles have the power to make games truly engaging. Think uber animated characters, highly-detailed, massive environments, et cetera.

But I can already smell a big letdown coming. With companies like EA suppressing creative talent and dominating the market, there's few developers out there who can make a difference.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Soul Punisher said:
I got that same feeling when i saw SSBM as well. But sadly for me, im just not getting that same feeling this time around about any next generation games so far that has images and videos. It just dosen't look all that impressive i guess. Just take a look at DOA 4, that's the only first-party game i was looking forward too on the XB360 so far. I expected that game to really jump in graphics, but it pretty much look like it did this generation with minor improvement, that and Tony Hawk WL look the same, but i can't say the same about the gameplay of the games since im sure it will be improved which is a good thing.
The reason you say there isn't that much of a jump from DOA 3's graphics to DOA 4's is because they're already spectacularly detailed. If anything, it's a compliment to the well made games of today, as opposed to other games which have LOTS of room for improvement.

And in any case, it's difficult to see how good HD-graphics really look when you're not looking through a HD-capable medium or a non-HD recording.

Best answers
Developers arn't yet familiar with the new hardware.PS3 and XBOX360 is as complicated as a modern super computer.

Best answers
I've got no problems with moving to the next gen consoles. The jump in graphics might not be as big as between older consoles, but from what I've seen of a lot of Xbox360 games is that they're using the extra power to increase the scale of the games. For example, Ninety Nine Nights looks like it will push the enemies on screen count into the high hundreds. The Outfit looks like it has very destructable environments. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion has Unreal Engine 3 quality graphics with an absoloutely GIGANTIC world. That kind of scale is what I've been waiting on for a long time in games and the extra power of next gen looks to deliver.

I don't think however that developers have quite squeezed the life out of current gen consoles yet. Watch this newly released video of "Black" and consider that it's meant to be running on PS2 hardware.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
See this is sort of amusing to me, because as a PC gamer I have been looking at more advanced breeds of games all these years. Are we ready for it? We never are ready for any advance. First things begin, then they are feared, then gradually they become the norm. It's the way it all works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom