Are there any GOOD dubs out there?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, I've seen A LOT of dubs of anime, not one of them has appealed to me. I hear that Bleach dub is OK, but apart from that, is there but one dub out there that doesn't rip the ears, in your opinion?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No, never.
No matter how good they have been done, they still rape the anime's reputation, and usually it ends up on children watching it ( Dbz ).
I don't understand why the hell should all 'adult' anime be dubbed as well, like bleach, anyways it's called "adult swing dub" but why bother, when we can read the subtitles? It CAN'T be that hard..
One of the most horrifying of all time is Naruto's, i swear that all kids in usa elementary school watch it from cartoon network, and Bang! another anime series' reputation is kid favored..

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I found the dub of samurai champloo pretty good, and actually prefererd it over the subbed. (But I preferred it because I started watching it dubbed and was used to the voices then).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There was only one for me.

I actually preferred Giant Robo in English, rather than in Japanese.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
One of the most horrifying of all time is Naruto's, i swear that all kids in usa elementary school watch it from cartoon network, and Bang! another anime series' reputation is kid favored..
Seconded. Hell, ever since it came on Jetix, my SISTER's friends have started watching it fanatically -.-'. But the worst of all must be Shaman King. It was cut maniacally, and dubbed HORRIBLY.

I watched the first episode of Bleach dubbed, it isn't that bad. But still, the japanese version is incomparably better. But what I don't get is why is it that America has so much good actors, which could be good voice actors as well, but use these damn n00bs as actors that hardly even know how to talk. Are they too expensive for a major company like Cartoon Network? Or are they just cheap? Oh well, I guess there never will be a dub that will exceed the original.

BELIVE IT!

Jesus, I can't believe I just said that. Yep, I'm still wasted -_-'

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
lol... just because there are some splashes of blood and typical anime "pervy" gimmicks doesn't really make Bleach an "Adult Anime"

I thought the Cowboy Bebop and Big O dubs were pretty good. But I would watch Bebop subbed anyway.

Best answers
I thought Hellsing's dub was good, along with Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust.

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Chobit's is a good dub imo.
I actually prefer the dub over the japanese voices.. Something about the japanese chi's voice that just.. Annoys the hell out of me.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Why do people hate dubs so much? How else do you get people from other countries to watch the anime? Very few people want to "read" the show in subtitles, so they make a version in the native language. Big deal. I think rating dubs is pointless, and criticizing them is even more so. PURISTS will never be satisfied with dubs because they want a mirror-image of the original language anime in another language, probably with the same voices IN the said language. I never understood it. It's totally pointless.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I always preferred the original Japanese version of any anime anyways, because they don't leave anything out or remove profanity.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Why do people hate dubs so much? How else do you get people from other countries to watch the anime? Very few people want to "read" the show in subtitles, so they make a version in the native language. Big deal. I think rating dubs is pointless, and criticizing them is even more so. PURISTS will never be satisfied with dubs because they want a mirror-image of the original language anime in another language, probably with the same voices IN the said language. I never understood it. It's totally pointless.
Uh...yeah, that's sort of the reason I started this thread. See, the reason most people hate dubs is because they suck. I wanted to know whether there is a dub which doesn't suck. So far I only saw Bleach dubbed of those that are okay. In my country, basically nothing is dubbed, because it's pointless. Only some kid shows are dubbed for the really young ones that can't read, although I learned to read when I was 4, or even earlier. Subs are just superior. You don't have to pay for voice actors and it doesn't ruin the anime like most dubs do.

And the reason people don't like to read subs is because they can't keep up, something I never understood, since I kinda read subtitles instantaneously. And another thing: Japanese frankly sounds a lot better to me than english. I love the language. Germanic languages get on my nerves anyway, which is probably why I prefer subs.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A couple dubs I know of, that are somewhat worth mentioning are;

Cowboy Bebop
GTO
Lupin the 3rd (both dubs)

I'm honestly not aware of many others.

As a side note:

Dragon Ball Z (Of course this is only the music's reputation, among young adults and adults)

Best answers
But what I don't get is why is it that America has so much good actors, which could be good voice actors as well, but use these damn n00bs as actors that hardly even know how to talk. Are they too expensive for a major company like Cartoon Network? Or are they just cheap? Oh well, I guess there never will be a dub that will exceed the original.
The problem is, Anime VA's (In America) are quite different from normal VAs, the focus seems to be on a voice, not acting ability, which leaves us with a bunch of forced lines that ruin our favourite show.

The Voice directors, usually never refer to the original source material to try to get something close to the Japanese version, they think they know what people want to hear, which must be bad acting, bad voices and bad re-writes.

Instead of getting professionals, they hire someone (at a low price) who has no experience in the field, and no talent, sure alot of them improve along the way, but in my opinion they never rise to a point where I would consider them a proffessional.

People like Chris Sabat get praised, for having ten variations on one voice, when he's "acting" no matter what character he's playing, its always painfully obvious that its him.

They need to bring some proffessionals in, like Billy West and Maurice Lamarshe, those guys are masters of their art, and capable of producing voices that have nothing in common with their default voice.

Also, they can act, which is what Dubs are in dire need of, someone who can actually emote without sounding constipated.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fullmetal Alchemist, baby
Cowboy Bebop
Big O (I wish that'd come back on adult swim =()
Bleach, I think was surprisingly good

And I gotta say, Dragonball Z (the later episodes). When the whole Goku family sounds the same, I know I've made the choice. The Japanese version if good though. English is also higher quality in terms of audio.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The problem is, Anime VA's (In America) are quite different from normal VAs, the focus seems to be on a voice, not acting ability, which leaves us with a bunch of forced lines that ruin our favourite show.

The Voice directors, usually never refer to the original source material to try to get something close to the Japanese version, they think they know what people want to hear, which must be bad acting, bad voices and bad re-writes.

Instead of getting professionals, they hire someone (at a low price) who has no experience in the field, and no talent, sure alot of them improve along the way, but in my opinion they never rise to a point where I would consider them a proffessional.

People like Chris Sabat get praised, for having ten variations on one voice, when he's "acting" no matter what character he's playing, its always painfully obvious that its him.

They need to bring some proffessionals in, like Billy West and Maurice Lamarshe, those guys are masters of their art, and capable of producing voices that have nothing in common with their default voice.

Also, they can act, which is what Dubs are in dire need of, someone who can actually emote without sounding constipated.
Painfully obvious? Really? I had to look at the cast list to discover just how many voices Chris did. I think it's unfair to try comparing a dub to it's original, because a dub CAN'T be the original. I never had a problem with the acting part of the Funimation dub. I've seen bad dubbing before, and Funi DBZ isn't perfect, but it's better than most dubs by far.

Plus, I don't think you'd dare say any of this in front of the actors themselves, who busted their ass to dub the show and also had a great time doing it. They're awesome people, and they pour their hearts into the characters. That therein I feel is what makes a "good" dub.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Let's see. There's Dragon Ball Z, Robotech, and Ronin Warriors. And that's primarily because I didn't see the japanese versions of any of these first and therefore couldn't appreciate how much the shows were butchered.
That and I was 13 when I was going through them in their prime on CN.

Best answers
DragonBall Z has very decent dubbing.

Full Metal Alchemist's dub isn't bad either.

But hey, I believe all this really depends of the viewer.

Best answers
Painfully obvious? Really? I had to look at the cast list to discover just how many voices Chris did. I think it's unfair to try comparing a dub to it's original, because a dub CAN'T be the original. I never had a problem with the acting part of the Funimation dub. I've seen bad dubbing before, and Funi DBZ isn't perfect, but it's better than most dubs by far.

Plus, I don't think you'd dare say any of this in front of the actors themselves, who busted their ass to dub the show and also had a great time doing it. They're awesome people, and they pour their hearts into the characters. That therein I feel is what makes a "good" dub.
Just because I'm not the biggest fan of the work they do, doesn't mean I have anything against them personally, I'm sure they are all great people, but in my opinion they were also the wrong people for the job.

I'm sure it was a labour of love for them, and they gave it their all, but just because someone tried their best, doesn't mean the end product was necessarily good.

It was quite apparent throughout Dbz as a series, that all of the Dub cast was still learning, which lead to inconsistent performances all across the board, thats what I disagree with.

Instead of getting a guy that did some voice overs for phone advertisments (cheap), get the guy that does Voice work for a living, and is damn good at what he does.

As for telling them my thoughts and feelings on their work face to face, you're right, I wouldn't.

Why?

Because I dont see the point on meeting someone face to face, just to tell them I hated the work they did five years ago.

You wont see me telling Chris Sabat I didn't like his Vegeta, but you also wont see me in the line to meet him, I'd rather converse with someone who's work I admire.

I shouldnt have used Dbz as an example, since it obviously struck a nerve with some people, however, the point I was trying to make is Anime VAs in terms of experience and skill, are far below the standard set by the people that founded this industry.

What I think makes a good dub is a cast of skilled proffessionals, who are not only able to act, but actually understand their characters, people who constantly push the boundaries of the potential of human vocal chords, people who understand that tucking your chin into your neck and doing a gruff voice doesn't make you a Voice Actor.

Edit: I forgot to praise the FMA dub, it was quite good a perfect example of what Funimation can do if they hire the right people for the right roles.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Japanese Anime with subtitles is the best..
dubs ALWAYS, wait..
-------------- A - L - W - A - Y - S ------------------------------------
ruin the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom