Are there any GOOD dubs out there?

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Why do people hate dubs so much? How else do you get people from other countries to watch the anime? Very few people want to "read" the show in subtitles, so they make a version in the native language. Big deal. I think rating dubs is pointless, and criticizing them is even more so. PURISTS will never be satisfied with dubs because they want a mirror-image of the original language anime in another language, probably with the same voices IN the said language. I never understood it. It's totally pointless.
yeah late response since the thread has grown already but WHOA! Slow down little man! Dubs are a good idea in the first place for just said reasons BUT cutting out certain stuff and totally screwing up the original meaning/vocals/stuff is a BAD thing. Ever watched the german Naruto version? No? Lets hope you'll never have to because its waaaaay worse then the english dub. Now thats more like a distorted image instead of "mirror-image of the original".

Oh yeah, and if you don't like criticizing why not move to north korea or something, there you surely wont need to bug with critics of any kind.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cowboy BeBop
Samurai Champloo
Last Exile
X (tv, not movie)
Beck (from what little I've heard thusfar since it's not released yet - who knew Greg Ayeres Could sing decently.)
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Best answers
The only problem with the FMA dub was hearing Piccolo's voice.... from the mouth of Armstrong... lmao.
Chris Sabat Rocks

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Too me, all dubs suck. Just look at Naruto for one of the crappiest dubs ever. I mean, they just let some kids dub the series.
Sasuke: [high pitched voice] Na-outoo, don't let your dream die[/high pitched voice] The dubs voices just never keep the show's feeling. Sasuke for example has a very low pitched, cold hearted voice. In Naruto, when he is just about to pass out because of Haku, he has this really weird high pitched voice that doesn't suit him at all. Even the Bleach dub sucks. Ichigo always had a I-don't-give-a-**** voice. But in the dub, he is just yet another "Hey look at me, I'm 15 years old and I can swing a sword! ROFLCOPTER WHOOOOHOOO" person.

Best answers
The only problem with the FMA dub was hearing Piccolo's voice.... from the mouth of Armstrong... lmao.
Chris Sabat Rocks
lol, so true, Sabat's Piccolo with an accent FTL.

@Sircon

The Naruto dub got points for trying for me, It (from what I've seen) seemed like they tried to get a few sound alikes for some of the characters, I'll have to sit down and watch my dvds, since I've only checked out about two minutes of the dub so far.

As for Bleach, I've only heard Ichigo's voice, and was pretty dissapointed, its not overtly annoying, but you're right, its more of a generic 15 year old voice.

I'm picking up the starter boxset on monday, so I'll save my overall conclusion until then.

Best answers
I enjoyed Trigun with dubs when i first watched, The main characters laughter is so freaky in english. Of course the sub was a bit better, but the english voice actors were all good too...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ever watched the german Naruto version? No? Lets hope you'll never have to because its waaaaay worse then the english dub. Now thats more like a distorted image instead of "mirror-image of the original".
I'm afraid I'm one of the people who are aware of that. I saw a clip on YouTube of german-dubbed Naruto, and my ears were poisoned. Itachi's voice is SOOO G*Y!!!! xD

Instead of getting professionals, they hire someone (at a low price) who has no experience in the field, and no talent, sure alot of them improve along the way, but in my opinion they never rise to a point where I would consider them a proffessional.
I guess it's not that much different than the dubbing here, then. Only Garfield's dub was bearable for me, and that's because professional actors provided the voices. I gotta say it was far more hilarious than the english version. Too bad that for anime, the same is true in my country. Bad actors, cutting, bad music, and often the original is heard under the dubbed voices. Sick sick ****.

Best answers
Kurosaki Ichigo is voiced by Johnny Young Bosch. The Red Ranger. lmao.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Eh, English Naruto is the really only one (though I don't watch too much different animes) I just don't like. Always Japanese one for that....BELIEVE IT!

Bleach I am good either way..

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's hard to cross languages and keep the same emotions and intentions and etc. proper. With a language as different from ours as Japanese, a lot of simple translation/interpretation issues also come up. Hell, even a good translation can sound just plain awkward to us. Not only that, but the VAs they used for dubbing tend to be just plain less talented. Dubbing anime isn't really an attractive career for most talented artists.

When you know what they're supposed to sound like, it's hard to accept something worse or even just different. That's why people don't like dubs. You can see the dubbed Naruto trying to sound as much as he can like the Jap Naruto, but in the end he just kind of sounds lame and overacted... and it comes off like a really badly produced kiddie show.

Anyway there's no reason to hate hate hate dubs. Some folks are just elitist. Let people like what they like :rolleyes: Some just hate reading.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Bubble Gum Crisis Tokyo 2040 has ok dubbing from what i recall.
And J-Dude, it's because dubs always suck. That's the way it is. And no, they do not just suck for anime. Look at dubbed Martial Art movies. They make me cringe as if some super hot girl just crapped herself. It's hard for studios to dub shows with a) suitable actors, and b) a good translation that fits the mouth movement so it appears lip synced; at least in anime dubs anyway. Dubs are jut generally all-round naff.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually, I think Johnny Young Bosch was one of the black rangers. He's actually a really funny guy in person :p

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I really cant understand those who liked the samurai champloo dub, imo they destroyed all the characters :p Mugen was ment to be boisterous and bold, but he sounds sly and sleazy in english, and Jin sounds less wise and more arrogant. Plus Fuu sounds like an annoying 20 year old not a 14 year old girl. Bah, its just not the same :(

Best answers
man dont be such a purist dubs are fine the only reason why people hate them is because the english voices arent what they imagined them to be... or ther just trying to be cool and fit in with all ther little narutocore buddies

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh, I can't believe I forgot Berserk.
Berserk is also another good dub.
Berserk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom