Apple's next offensive..

Best answers
Well, I might be the only one to be quite excited about this, but Apple developed a bootsystem that allows you to install and boot Windows XP (SP2) on an Intel based Macintosh..

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

Apple sales are rising (not only due to iPod, but computersystems to), Apple got rid of -most- of its compatibility problems, Microsoft is delaying Vista, Apple now got options to have Windows OS on their computersystems.. Microsoft might have a rough time in the near future.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to these kind of things, but what makes Macs attractive now that it can use Windows? Isn't it like any other pc now?

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually that only makes things better for Microsoft, as now they can gain market share on Macs. AMD is likely going to be the looser here, as Intel is the one making the Mac hardware.

Hmm, sounds like WinXP on an intel machine . . . Apple pays for the logo.

How is that owning an actual mac again?

Best answers
Well, if Apple is doing this, it wouldn't surprise me if they came up with MacOS to be able to run on a PC.. They already did that, but it had some problems like being quite slow etc..

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Again, I'm ignorant when it comes to these kind of things so bear with me. Why would bringing a MacOS to PCs be a smart move when they already went out of their way to get Windows to run on Macs? I just dont see any benefit for me, as a consumer.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Being able to use something doesn't mean people are going to use it. I mean, I can count the number of people I know that ACTUALLY like Macs on 1 hand. Anything I can do on a MacOS I can probably do on Windows.

I just don't see how this makes Macs any better than it is now.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You aren't telling me anything. What can a MacOS do that Windows can not? They obviously understand Windows is more desirable than their own OS.

Best answers
Well, I guess that's taste.. I like the design of MacOS, I like how userfriendly it is (imho), I like how stable it is compared to windows.. So yes, you as MS fanboy might find no reason to go with MacOS, but others might..

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Isn't the only reason Apple is doing this because some hackers managed to do it on their own a few weeks ago, and realized they couldn't stop people? Meh.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I like how Im a MS fanboy because I asked how Mac is better than Windows.

Best answers
WHo said it was better? I just prefer using MacOS for some unknown reason, I know of quite a few people actually thinking the same.. But that might just be because I'm into graphical design and we only use Apple computers at school..

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thats all you had to say. Like I said, I don't know much about any of this. I don't know how Mac runs and I don't know why people prefer it because Mac users are never able to tell me why they like it better than Windows other than "Windows sucks and it crashed all the time and it sucks man".

Apple's move seems more like a defensive manuever than an offensive one.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kimfu said:
WHo said it was better? I just prefer using MacOS for some unknown reason, I know of quite a few people actually thinking the same.. But that might just be because I'm into graphical design and we only use Apple computers at school..
That's the 'mere exposure effect'. It's a psychological phenomenon that occurs when people are exposed to objects or people for longer periods of time. If the person is fairly neutral towards the object/person at the start, he/she'll eventually start liking the object, just because he/she is exposed to it more often.

[/psychological rambling]

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kimfu said:
Ok, then explain to me why Windows is so much better?
Well there is the fact that Macs don't work most of the time. (Bare with me here, i use both Macs and Windows all the time)

Windows is so much more "user friendly" as you put it. For example my first time EVER using a mac (which was the first computer i ever touched) I turned it on. I'm like "Score I'm using a computer" Well when it loaded i didn't know how to do anything. I clicked damn near everything to start a freaking program. Only to find out later that that pretty little icon in the top right hand corner of the screen (you know that color half-eaten apple) isn't an icon but a button. Wow, because I was supposed to know that. Let's not forget i STILL don't know how to copy and paste something on a mac. Why? Because there isn't more than one mouse button.

Let's head over to windows- I boot it up. I'm like "okay i hope this works better" i get the home screen up and I see a few icons. I'm like "oo icons that's cool" I can click on them and they open stuff up. I like that. But there are only a few icons =/ My documents, recycle bin, my computer, and all that jazz. But i don't want that, i don't know how to open anything else up =( so i look around for a windows icon expecting the same thing as Mac (because i'm retarded) And I see "start" i click and it comes up with all this stuff, and the first thing i see is "all programs"

Wow how easy was that, not 5 minutes into windows and i can access every program on it. I instantly hated mac's and now love windows. Am I a fanboy? No. I'm not. But I agree with Zeo. Just because you can now load windows on a mac won't change anything. I like my regular PC. It's easier to use, i know the commands better and everything works right with out crapping out on my like mac has done so many times before. Has windows crapped out on me? Sure. Of course it has. What OS hasn't. But 1. a lot less times. and 2. they send the information to Windows and the problem seldom happens again, and by seldom I mean never. When AIM randomly crashes that's not window's, that's AIM.

There are a lot of things PC's are better than macs. I've stated enough reasons.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I hate Mac mouses. Who's ****ing idea was it to gibble the computer by giving it only one button? Am I so simple I can't figure out the use of more than one button? They have had years to fix this and still, Macs ship with those crap-fests they call mouses. I hope that with XP out for Mac now, they will finally ditch the one-button mouse.

The only reason I ever use Macs is because Mac sponsors the Student Union Building at school (where I hang out between classes) so everybody is forced to use them. Its part of the reason I want to get a laptop for next year.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kimfu said:
Ok, then explain to me why Windows is so much better?
Once again, you're not explaining to me why using a Mac is better than using Windows. Obviously I have never used a Mac. Thats why Im asking why do you think Macs are better. Im trying to obtain information from you, but like every other Mac user, you're just trying to go around the topic. I can't tell you why Windows is better because I dont know what using a Mac is like.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Zeonix said:
I can't tell you why Windows is better because I dont know what using a Mac is like.
Count your blessings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom