Apple's next offensive..

Best answers
Zeonix said:
Once again, you're not explaining to me why using a Mac is better than using Windows. Obviously I have never used a Mac. Thats why Im asking why do you think Macs are better. Im trying to obtain information from you, but like every other Mac user, you're just trying to go around the topic. I can't tell you why Windows is better because I dont know what using a Mac is like.
I already told you why I think MacOS X is better, you just want to see numbers and facts, the only thing I can give you is the fact that Mac can handle programs that crash or lock-up (MacOS will keep running.. If a program crashes in Windows, the whole OS seems to crash/slow down)..

I already said it's about personal taste, and my personal taste goes out to Mac, and I know quite a few people who agree with me here, now if you don't know how to respect the opinion and personal taste of some people, then get your ass out of here, since you're obviously looking to flame mac users here.. I'm just asking what people think of this "Boot-camp", and you obviously don't want to think about it..

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Before I destroy you with words, I'd like a go ahead from someone on the staff since I JUST got unbanned.

Like I said, I don't know anything about Macs. I have never used one. I'm asking you, someone who has used it, why you like it better. Saying "uh...that one program I use on my mac doesnt crash, but it crashes in windows, and windows like...blows up and stuff." doesnt help.

Want to know what I think about this boot camp? Its a defensive manuever. They aren't doing it to get an upper hand. They are doing it to try to keep up. Now calm the ++++ down and try to have a civil discussion.

Zeo keep your post within reason and on topic and don't flame him. Apart from that go crazy and write an essay you dont need our permission just no flaming. -

Best answers
Sigh.. Do you also whine like this to people that like ketchup better than mayonaise?

"OMG YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO HAVE A DIFFERENT TASTE THAN ME"

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've tasted both, so I wouldnt need to ask for someone else's opinion on the matter in order to form my own.

Stop turning this into an arguement. Im the last person you want to argue with.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If a program crashes in Windows, the whole OS seems to crash/slow down
No, just no. You can usually ctrl-alt-delete out of anything. The only thing that has completely crashed my computer lately is Oblivion, but I still love it.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I guess it's also a win for people who buy mac machines as they will be able to use windows when it is required of them. Plus, given the fact that applications are still getting ported to run native code on intel x86 macs, the programs that you can get to intsll on windows already support x86. I guess ther'e also tryying to increase the functionality of their machines too, witch is always a good move, as it will make them more useful & plus someone that knows nothing of a mac can get away with using windows on a intel mac machine should they ever come across one that has the bootsystem installed and configured to use windows.

Also, mac users with intel machiens will now be able to game on too :).

EDIT: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30827 - People are reporting XP blue screens ontheir macinteltosh machines. However you shouldn't just bash it given the fact that it is still in the beta stages.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kimfu said:
Well, if Apple is doing this, it wouldn't surprise me if they came up with MacOS to be able to run on a PC.. They already did that, but it had some problems like being quite slow etc..
Sure, as soon as Motorola begins designing Open Architecture PS2 compatible AND Macintosh compatable PC hardware, you can run OSX at full speed not emulated.

The key issue here, is that Apple joined the Open Architecture band wagon, and now that the core logic unit is CISC, and can handle simple things like MULT, Apple can join the rest of the serious computers, and run any OS it likes rather than one designed for it's hobbled RISC proccessors. Those in the know have known forever that Mac was running out of speed to overcome the fact that it has to do 10x10 as 10+10+10+10+10+10+10+10+10+10 and accrue the results while PCs were doing 10x10 in one command pipe at one stage.

The problem and strength of Macs is that that it could process very fast, but only one thing at a time, and it only ever had 64 commands in assembler. This made things very uniform, coupled with hardware that was all uniform (you had no choice to buy an Abit, MSI or Asus mobo) and you had an extremely underpowered but amazingly stable machine.

The last bastion of Mac strength, Mathematica, was completely raped by the Athlon 64 FX 53, beat down by the plain jane P4, and expectantly blown away by the P4EE. The G5 couldn't hold it's own against it's competitors anymore. Now that they've made the bold move to CISC, they can make boasts like they did in the past, but I doubt you'll see OSX come to the PC and be as stable as it was on the mac.

In short, it was all in the hardware, not the OS.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Zeonix said:
Thats all you had to say. Like I said, I don't know much about any of this. I don't know how Mac runs and I don't know why people prefer it because Mac users are never able to tell me why they like it better than Windows other than "Windows sucks and it crashed all the time and it sucks man".

Apple's move seems more like a defensive manuever than an offensive one.
Quoted for truth.

I have worked extensively with both machines and I can tell you about a million stories about Macs and why I hate and loathe them. But I'm not going to go into any of it--the asinine design, the piss-poor software implementation, even the fact that they have had to put out more than a dozen versions of their OS in the time Windows has only done 5 or so. There are about ten bajillion reasons behind my dislike of Macs, and as someone who is equally able to use both I can clearly say I will always prefer PCs. The mac is a BS machine, especially the newer ones. Their OS has a nice framerate while you work and comes with better hardware for their displays--so it 'looks' like it's better then the default 60hz PC OS motion. This is enough to fool the uneducated and helpless people it's marketed towards--mainly people I work with. Mac users tend to do the same thing--rant about this iilusory perception of the PC as a 'slow' and 'clunky' machine that's crash prone (I have had this computer for two years and haven't EVER had to do a cold reboot...whereas my mac in work, I don't think has ever successfully made it to the point of being shut down properly). This perception, I believe, comes from nothing more than the stupid framerate on the OSX menu, and nothing more.

To answer your question, Zeonix, the alleged advantage of this, is that you would be able to set up your machine to dual boot on the Mac's hardware (which is allegedly superior--though any computer where a txt document can cripple it to complete lockdown, or that crashes so suddenly and brutally that even the frigging OFF button doesn't work and you have to yank the plug out, doesn't sound very superior to me). The idea would be to eliminate the main hangup people have about Macs--that buying one is a death sentence for compatibility. Now, with this new trend, you can allegedly have both, which would maximize compatibility.

No doubt the Macintards will be blaming the windows crashes Overlord mentioned to Microsoft's 'terrible programming', and not to the fact that their hardware is designed by incompetents, the complete lack of a driver infrastructure, the lack of a hard-coded file registry, etc etc.

Zeonix said:
Stop turning this into an argument. Im the last person you want to argue with.
Also quoted for truth. I don't want to see any arguing, and though I may not want to side with Zeo, he is right--he was only asking the differences. But I think Zeonix has a good idea for a thread--"Share Your Mac Horror Stories." I'm sure it'd be cool to compare notes. I think we'll all come to agreement, at any rate. Anti-Mac sentiment could be deposited there without derailing any pro-Mac topics that might come up (though I haven't seen one of those in...my entire membership here, heh).

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Cucumba said:
but I doubt you'll see OSX come to the PC and be as stable as it was on the mac.

In short, it was all in the hardware, not the OS.
I don't think Apple tech support wants to be responsible for supporting their OS on 2^32 different hardware configurations. lol

And Alea is right btw :O if they don't do it, other people will, for free

You could also use GRUB/LILO as a bootloader instead of this thing if you wanted more flexibility

Best answers
I like Macs. I find OSX easier to use than Windows, and I can get what I want done quicker in OSX than in XP. Don't ask me why, I'm not looking to get technical here, it just worked out that way for me.

Also, it feels a bit weird saying this, but I actually find using Macs fun. Can an OS be fun? I guess so. :p

Basically, what BootCamp means to me is, I can now boot Windows when I need to play a game that isn't supported by Mac, and use OSX for all my other computing needs.

Does this mean I'm gonna get flamed for liking Macs? Or called a... what was it Pride said... Macintard? Hope not.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't flame people for liking macs. Some people like macs more.

But its' when people argue which one is actually BETTER that my ire tends to get ruffled a bit.

Best answers
Well I wouldn't prefer Macs if I didn't think they were better, to be fair. I'm not going to argue why, because I don't really think about it that much. I just do.

*shrug*

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom