Apparently I get -1 ping

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I reformatted my computer about a week ago. Anyways, now whenever I use steam, the server browser pings are messed up.. Check this out

-1 ping in spades server (seriously, wtf?), 10 - 20 ping in servers I should be getting 100 and 2000 ping in a server I get 9 ping in. This is only a problem with the server browser, when I get ingame, the pings are normal.

Not sure if I posted this in the right section. Anyways, you guys have any idea wtf is up?

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It can be assumed that it wasn't like this before you reformatted?

Well, from my understanding it's pretty common for the pings shown in the server browser to be off. Usually pressing either the "Quick Refresh" or "Refresh all" buttons corrects the problem.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It was normal before I reformatted.

The pings are messed up every time I refresh or get a new list.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It was normal before I reformatted.

The pings are messed up every time I refresh or get a new list.
The only place I can pinpoint the problem to is Steam. Steam sends out the echo request to the servers in order to determine the ping. An echo request is only sent out every time your server browser refreshes, but when in-game, an echo request is sent out every few seconds. At least that's how I understand how it works. So, it's possible that Steam isn't interpreting the echo responses properly, thus giving you inaccurate pings.

Have you tried other games on Steam to see if you're given inaccurate pings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom