Anyone up for the Halo 3 beta?

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Same here. I'll probably end up buying a 360 over the summer though so Halo 3 won't be too far away after that

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Buy their new game and get into Halo 3 beta? God damn, now THAT'S smart marketing.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If Halo wasn't an overrated game I would be more interested. I played Halo 2 and was completely underwhelmed. I think it just came out during a time when consoles were starved for decent shooters.

The most worthwhile contribution it made was the whole refilling life mechanic. Eliminating the health pickup from the shooter genre is definitely a huge favor to the overall immersion of it all.

What features does Halo 3 have? Hopefully this one will have some textures...but I'm talking about gameplay. I mean, I'm betting it will borrow from other recent successful shooters (though if I see you diving behind barricades or having a reload minigame I'm gonna be a little upset...).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If Halo wasn't an overrated game I would be more interested. I played Halo 2 and was completely underwhelmed. I think it just came out during a time when consoles were starved for decent shooters.
I know you're the resident Mr. Pessimistic on these forums, but i'll retort anyways. Not being a fan of FPS at all myself, I much prefer Action games and the ocasion RPG. But I loved Halo, Halo 2 most especially.

And it's not in any means a breakthrough game that changes everything, but the whole game coming together is truly a masterpiece. The writing, voicing, music especially, really bring the world of Halo to life. As a game, just gameplay wise, it's nothing special, it's still fantastic and loads of fun to play.

But it's the entire polished product together that really makes it the blockbuster it is. You need to look past just the values of what's been stolen from other games. It's the whole package.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have to say the Xbox has really come into it's own. If you had told me years ago that the Xbox would be winning the console war.

As for why I didn't find the Halo games impressive...I wish I could say. I just found everything about it subpar. Even the story (which was already a story to a much older game, and has similar roots in all kinds of old sci fi stories out there). I don't think it stole or recycled elements from other games...I just found it to be not very interesting, personally. And before you ask, yes I've played them both. Splitscreen and goldeneye nostalgia made it a blockbuster, if you ask me. People kept telling me about the incredible story but I never really saw it. I thought the level design was weak and the voice acting wasn't all that impressive to me either, just because I come from a background of having been around some really good voice work in college and I can see ways in which it could have been more riveting at points. But hey, that's just me. I just found it poorly conceived and poorly executed.

But it's clear that when it comes to that, I'm in the minority, no doubt. But that's my reason behind not really feeling much excitement for the beta. To me, Halo is like the reason why people like me used to laugh at the idea of a "console FPS." But again, it's obvious that this is an isolated thought that I have, because the sales, as they say, speak for themselves.

I'm not the only one!? Thank God for that! ~Boyster

(I feel this same way about lots of games everybody loves, so...to all the halo fans, it's nothing personal dudes! I really was just trying to explain why I wasn't into the beta. Sorry if I came off rude to anybody, man.)

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You weren't rude, just honest.

Personally, I can't get into the type of game that Halo is supposed to be unless the storyline catches me. Unfortunately, it didn't. It seems like the same basic plot I've read time and time again, and I think I have a pretty good idea how Halo 3 is going end if it's anything like the last two games.

That said, it's a beta so I'm game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom