Any recommendation on what GPU to get?

Only go forward sideways
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
If they had run the "physics" stuff that PhysX does on a modern CPU, the modern CPU (that's right, you wouldn't even need to run it on your graphics card) would kick its ass. It's just a fancy name for an inferior product marketed by a corporation with a whole ton of cash.
You're kidding right? A GPU is way more powerful than a CPU. The tasks which they do makes them different. The GPU is more suitable for doing physics because it can do bulk calculations and video processing without having to outsource anything, making it the faster and more desirable choice for such a feat.
GPU's have large numbers of ALU's, more so than CPU's. As a result, they can do large amounts of bulky mathematical labor in a greater quantity than CPU's.
The downside is that is it can't switch between tasks nearly as fast as the CPU. So the GPU does repetitive work more efficiently than the CPU.
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Why_a_GPU_mines_faster_than_a_CPU

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You're kidding right?
No.

A GPU is way more powerful than a CPU.
Right, so that's why computers only use GPUs right? Right?

The tasks which they do makes them different.
I suspect that design and features make them different, rather than the tasks they do. I mean, if you kill beavers and I kill hobos, that is probably not the main difference between the two of us.

The GPU is more suitable for doing physics because it can do bulk calculations and video processing without having to outsource anything, making it the faster and more desirable choice for such a feat.
Faster if you have a slow CPU, yes. Faster if you have a fast CPU, no.

Oh, and PhysX is essentially just a physics engine designed for parallel processing. Parallel processing relies on the amount of cores available to it. Turns out, AMD is better at making a lot of cores. In turn, if AMD was supported by PhysX as well, AMD would be superior.

I think we're back to Nvidia buying PhysX and making sure PhysX only works on CUDA rather than the AMD alternative.

Next time you think you're smart enough to argue with me, reconsider, please?

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Right, so that's why computers only use GPUs right? Right?
For gaming and 3D modelling as well as physics, GPUs are a far better choice. That's why they're called "graphics processing units"

Just because a computer uses CPUs with a GPU doesn't mean a CPU is as powerful as a GPU for what it's doing. That's like saying a 1GB stick of RAM is as powerful as a GTX680 2GHz 6GB OC edition.

They're both more powerful in their respective areas. It's like comparing a duck hunter to a fisherman.

Super Saiyan Dabura
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
or just use ps3 for games, I'm thinking about doing that in near future

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Eh, There are a few games I like to play on PC rather than console. Starcraft 2 being one of them, that isn't even on console :p Diablo 3 soon, Skyrim, Amnesia the dark descent, TF2, basically all the PC exclusives, MMOS and RTS, and some cross platform.

Kinda got sick of xbox360, decided I'll try a PS3 for its exclusives.

Discord Member
Best answers
u cant use a GPU without a CPU .... but u can do the opposite :p basics ppl .... BASICS!!!!

and about peripherals on PC .... a joystick is a must ... esp for those flying games!!!!

and also anything on consoles can b put on PC no problem .... even those wheelchair steering wheels

and tv's USED to be bad for PCs until HD FLAT SCREEN CAME OUT!!!!

Last edited:
Human?
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I have a 1080p LCD TV, 32". I hate it compared to 27" computer monitors. I keep seeing the trail of everything that moves even though 60Hz should be enough.

Considering a 680 with the ASUS 27" 3D monitor. I've heard the 3D-effect is overrated but I disagree so far.

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
u cant use a GPU without a CPU .... but u can do the opposite :p basics ppl .... BASICS!!!!

and about peripherals on PC .... a joystick is a must ... esp for those flying games!!!!

and also anything on consoles can b put on PC no problem .... even those wheelchair steering wheels

and tv's USED to be bad for PCs until HD FLAT SCREEN CAME OUT!!!!
TV's aren't designed with the same specifications as a designated PC monitor making them inferior for the task

I would never buy a TV as my primary monitor

Former Forcepit Member :(
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tv's are ok for MMORPGS but for esf your asking for trails that never end Rofl

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom