Any of you ever see Vandread?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I highly reccomend this one. I watched it for the second time just recently and I was reminded just how good this is. Humor, romance, action, tragedy, and lots and lots of women o.o

Sure it sounds like some crappy tenchi clone, but trust me. This show is very differrent.

Imagine a universe where men and women live on opposite planets. The men reproduce by making babies in factories and using genetics. Babies, though physically impossible in the real world, end up with XX genes. The women, however, are pretty much all lesbians. Every woman on the planet is either a "Fama" (mother) or "Oma" (Father). The Oma types look, act, and dress masculine-like obviously. They have babies a similar way as the men do but they put the "fertilized" egg in the Fama.

Anyway, enough with the lesbian stuff. Apparently men and women are biter enemies. Always at war. However, a group of female pirates (group = about 200-400) attack a men's ship and the 3 main male characters are taken prisoner on the female's ship. One of the girls, Dita, is a complete Alien worshiper. Since seeing Hibiki (main male protagonist) for the first time, she follows him around like a puppy all the time and always calls him "Mr. Alien."

So now the 3 men are stuck with about 400 pirate women on this stolen male spaceship and they're returning home, but they can't fly it. Only a man can. Also, they're being attacked by an unknown enemy at the same time.

So, dispite their upbringings, the men and women eventually start working together and they start getting along. The new pilot of their spaceship ran away from their fight against the unknown enemy and made them go waaaaaay off course, so most of the show deals with trying to get back to the women's home planet, but a deeper plot involving the unknown enemy is thrown in (and trust me. it's a good plot.)

The show is quite funny too. In one of the early episodes, the women say that male anatomy is different from a female's and that they had some sort of "tube" inbetween their legs. The first half of the episode involves Dita trying to see what it looks like XD

Dispite what that sounds, this is not a hentai or even really ecchi. I'd say it's around the PG-13 level. It's split up into 2 seasons. Both are 13 episodes and both link together into one whole 26 episode season. Unfortunately there won't be anymore of this series, but it DOES end so it's not like a cliffhanger ending. I wish there was more though.

Anyway, I suggest you all watch Vandread. You will NOT be dissappointed. It's one of my favorite shows of all time, right up there with Tenchi.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
While comparing it to the level of "Tenchi" doesn't scream out quality, my boyfriend has insisted this show is good. I might give it a try someday.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You have a boyfriend?

But....but...I thought what we had was special!!!! *cries in a corner*

But yeah. You wont regret vandread. I only compared it to Tenchi because its 3 guys with like 400 girls. Thats about as close to tenchi as it gets.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
;p They call that 'harem anime', I think.

Anyway, I've watched Vandread a long time ago, about three eps of it, but it didn't appeal to me at all. It had some mecha action going on, but it was made with computers and looked really cheap and dull to me. I'm a big mecha fan, so that was a big turnoff for me.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Shiyojin Rommyu said:
;p They call that 'harem anime', I think.

Anyway, I've watched Vandread a long time ago, about three eps of it, but it didn't appeal to me at all. It had some mecha action going on, but it was made with computers and looked really cheap and dull to me. I'm a big mecha fan, so that was a big turnoff for me.
You stopped at episode 3? Sheesh...you didn't even get to the good stuff.

Best answers
I've been watching this on Starz and I must say its an awesome show. Plenty of humor. I rate it 8.5 out of 10.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
;p First impressions are key, Logan, and I wasn't impressed.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I wouldn't agree with you, Shiyojin. I know of numerous animes that have horrible or boring beginings, and pick up tremendously later. (Hunter x Hunter is the first one that comes to mind.. but Mahou Shoujo Lyrica Nanoha and Yakitate!! Japan also apply, as well as numerous others)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alea is very right. I have seen countless shows that I thought were terrible at first glance but really enjoyed them.

1) Paranoia Agent
2) Cowboy Bebop
3) Escaflowne
4) Evangelion
5) Candidate for Goddess
6) Tenchi Muyo (and its one of my favorites now)
7) Sonic X
8) Dragon Ball/Z/GT

And this is just naming a FEW.

Best answers
I watch vandread once in a while because it is on at like 1 am and im normally asleep then, but i like it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was on Gamefaqs last night and apparently they say that Vandread plays constantly on 1 specific channel. In fact, they said its shown more than Cowboy Bebop is shown on Adult Swim.

I'm glad I had the pleasure of watching this on my own rather than it being stuffed down my throat or else I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom