Antikythera Mechanism

Best answers
Most accurate, maybe. But not the most advanced -- that would imply technology.

That thing looks like the planar analysis device from the Manual of the Planes. Still, an interesting read.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Most accurate, maybe. But not the most advanced -- that would imply technology.

That thing looks like the planar analysis device from the Manual of the Planes. Still, an interesting read.
Regardless of the general techinical advancement of the rest of the culture, this IS a piece of technology, as primitive as it may be.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Whoa. That's pretty sick.

I never knew the ancient Greeks were that sophisticated.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The Greeks were pretty advanced but the Sumerians were way up there: http://i-cias.com/e.o/sumer.htm

They also said there were 12 planets (our 8 plus pluto, the moon, sun and they said we had another planet in our solar system), the planets revolved around the Sun, and their Gods had rocket ships...you know what? Let's forget about that last part.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Haha, I've always been a fan of the technologically advanced primitive culture theories. A very surprising use for that machine, amazing indeed. Being part Mayan, my father's side of the family has harped on the amazingness of Mayan mathematics and astronomy for some time.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Besides them being so overwhelmingly advanced for "their time", what adds to their mystique is that they simply vanished. No one knows what the hell happened to you guys. Its like the Mayans went inside of one of their pyramid ships and flew off into the great sea of stars in search of Quetzalcoatl o_O.

I'm betting a lot of money on the 2012 thing. I doubt they meant the end of the world since they see time as a circle, so it'll keep repeating. But seriously, aliens or the guys from Stargate better come.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually, thats pretty far from the truth. The Mayans are still around, the mystery is why did they revert from building such cities, exploring science and mathematics, and having complex governments, to running around in the jungles with spears, machetes and loincloths again. Part of the problem was the Mayan Empire being conquered by the Toltecs at the end of their decline. The warlike Toltec tribe probably destroyed a good chunk of what sense was left, and led them down a dark path that ruined them forever. The second part of the problem is that Spanish invaders destroyed most of their writing, sparing only a few books.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They blame the calendar for the running around in the jungles part. At that time, their calendar had done it's prediction thing and they believed that was the time of their demise. Something along those lines according to NGC.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What zeo posted said:
The machine was a 365-day calendar, which ingeniously factored in the leap year every four years. And it not only provided the Metonic cycle, which was known to the Babylonians, it also gave the so-called Callippic cycle, which is four Metonic cycles minus one day and reconciles the solar year with the lunar calendar.

It could also predict lunar and solar eclipses under the Saros cycle, a 223-month repetitive interplay of the Sun, Earth and Moon. This function, presumably, would been useful for religious purposes, given that eclipses are traditionally taken as omens.

The Machine was also a star almanac, showing the times when the major stars and constellations of the Greek zodiac would rise or set and, speculatively, may also have shown the positions of the planets.

But even more impressive is a tiny pin-and-slot device that factors in a movement of the Moon that, for centuries, puzzled sky-watchers. In this so-called main lunar anomaly, the Moon appears to move across the heavens at different speeds at different times - the reason being its elliptical orbit around Earth.
It also was a time travel device, and a laundry machine as well as a portable calculator. Lol this thing was everything! :eek:

Seriously, interesting read. For that long ago, that's pretty amazing. But you're right Mayans>all.

Funny how primitive the machine is, yet it can do all these things with, from what I gather, is extremely accurate. That's awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom