Another way to install ESF. Legal?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This could be a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway: My friend found a way to install ESF in a whole nother way. First, he bought Half Life and installed it. Then he bought cs 1.6 which came with steam, and installed it into his Half Life directory. Then he installed ESF into his Half Life directory, and then when he ran hl.exe (the executable file for half life) somehow it ran with steam, and he wasn't even online, so he didn't update or anything. He automatically started Half Life with steam in offline mode. I want to know if this is legal, because it seems a lot easier to run than the original way.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Steam automatically picks up any supported games on your hard drive. Why would you ask if it's legal?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
o.0 Are you saying you installed ESF 4 times?

You have a legal copy of half life.... you don't need to update anything, you just install esf and play it.

You ran in offline mode congrats? How is this not legal?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I thought it was a stupid question. I just thought if it came with cs 1.6 it would be inappropriate. Oh well, glad that's settled. But what's wierd is that there was no steam.exe. I just ran hl.exe and it ran steam. That's strange, no? But installing esf the old fashioned way makes it run with steam.exe. See?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Are you sure it ran steam? didn't you go into hl, then custom game, activate esf and then multiplayer>LAN>create game?

If so, then you used WON and you're one of the few lucky guys to get it working, same goes here.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I didn't use WON. I know what WON looks like, I've been using it for 2 years before I switched to Steam 3 days ago. I ran hl.exe, and it ran steam (u know, with that picture of Vegeta pounding Piccolo). And the menu is steam's, it's definitely steam.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Isn't Steam supposed to start automatically with hl? What's the big deal? I thought I got what you might be after here, then I realized I missed it entirely.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Steam is supposed to run Half Life, but using steam.exe and with it run ESF. But my steam uses hl.exe as the starting application, that's what's wierd. Running hl.exe is supposed to run WON, not Steam.

Best answers
lol I think he doesn't know what a mod is. Mods can be played through half life, so if your friend bought Half life, AND counter-strike 1.6, he just ripped himself off. If you buy Half life, it comes with Counter-Strike. If you buy Counter-Strike ( not condition zero ), you auto get Half Life too. ESF is a half life mod, that means yes it is legal.

Best answers
dan_esf_fanatic said:
This could be a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway: My friend found a way to install ESF in a whole nother way. First, he bought Half Life and installed it. Then he bought cs 1.6 which came with steam, and installed it into his Half Life directory. Then he installed ESF into his Half Life directory, and then when he ran hl.exe (the executable file for half life) somehow it ran with steam, and he wasn't even online, so he didn't update or anything. He automatically started Half Life with steam in offline mode. I want to know if this is legal, because it seems a lot easier to run than the original way.
Of course offline mode is legel....

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
dan_esf_fanatic said:
Steam is supposed to run Half Life, but using steam.exe and with it run ESF. But my steam uses hl.exe as the starting application, that's what's wierd. Running hl.exe is supposed to run WON, not Steam.
It's called a shortcut. That *.EXE appliaction runs Steam first, and automatic starts up Earth Special Forces.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It can't be a shortcut, it's an .exe file. Maybe when I installed cs 1.6, the installation bulit in some steam commands into the application or something like that, so it runs automatically with steam, while otherwise it ran with WON. There's no steam.exe, no SteamApps, no Bin, nothing like the regular Steam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom