Another Remastered Dragon Ball Z

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The Fuji TV network and its affiliates will begin airing a new high definition re-master of the Dragon Ball Z television series on April 5. The HD re-master will include new versions of the series’ opening and ending theme songs, a re-edited opening animation sequence, and new dialogue recorded by the series’ original cast.

The new HD broadcast will commemorate the 20th anniversary of the original broadcast, which premiered on April 19, 1989. The HD re-broadcast will begin just weeks after the Japanese release of the live action Dragonball: Evolution motion picture.
Source: http://www.animenation.net/blog/2009/02/06/japan-to-get-a-remastered-dragon-ball-z-in-april/

Best answers
they need to redo all the series or start anotehr saga after DBZ.. (delete GT from your mind :p )
but a remastered saga is cool! :)

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Does it mean that the drawing of characters and other stuff will be better? I mean without so obvious changes as in Saiyan Saga and Buu Saga? Or something else?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They should create something new. They need to. Perhaps, they could create something enjoyable that takes place at the end of GT.

Don't give me that, "Oh, GT sucked BS". It's still a part of Dragon Ball, so accept it, and don't be a douche.

Best answers
They should create something new. They need to. Perhaps, they could create something enjoyable that takes place at the end of GT.

Don't give me that, "Oh, GT sucked BS". It's still a part of Dragon Ball, so accept it, and don't be a douche.
No. its not part of DB..

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I just checked youtube as well for a few remastered series.. Ugh, it is so terrible. They changed the voices so much, its not even compared to the original. I really dislike that.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

However, Dragon Ball GT isn't considered canon.

Here's some more information:

Forget the American live-action movie... this is perhaps the biggest news to hit since DragonBall GT ended in Japan back in 1997! We've heard rumblings since last month about this on our forum via our new-favorite-inside-source "Wasted Wisher", but now that Jump confirms it, I think we all feel a little more comfortable sharing the information (due to it being so strange-yet-incredible).

Another big thanks to kei17 over in Japan for the Jump scan and translation/information. Let's just break it down clearly and quickly for you, since I'm pretty sure that we can all barely contain our excitement:

• The DBZ TV series is receiving an extensive "refresh" for Japanese television airing

• This is a celebration of the 20th anniversary of DBZ

• While based on the original animation production, it is being updated with new technology

• This includes extending the frames for formatting on an HD 16:9 display (note: not cropping the image)

• The original Japanese cast is re-grouping to re-voice the show (where available, and unfortunately not including those that have passed on, such as Hirotaka Suzuoki [Tenshinhan])

• Sound effects are being updated

• Unlike the general show, the OPs and EDs are being completely redone

• While not in the above announcement, other reports are noting that the number of episodes is being reduced from 291 to approximately 100

• This begins 05 April 2009 @ 9 am

This is huge. Expect additional clarification over the coming days, and a podcast dedicated to this sole topic this weekend.
Source: http://www.daizex.com/index.shtml

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't like GT much but sadly I have to accept that it exists.

To be honest, the remastered series is just a plan to make money. It's milking the series for all it's worth.

Although reducing the number of episodes from 291 to around 100 is a good idea. We all remember the longest 5 minutes ever.

The Brain Freezer
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wow this can actually be a small rebirth of dragonball z. btw what are the OPs and EDs ?

Best answers
thank you for understanding that dragon ball gt is not part of dragon ball z, its like an entire series of fillers, like the third season of kenshin or most of naruto, if fake and alot of it just makes dbz cheezy. i have to admit, some moments are kinda cool. but at the same time it kinda ruind it for alot of otaku.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The upcoming issue of Weekly Shônen Jump confirms that the "refreshed" version of DBZ for Japanese TV (you know about this, right?) will in fact be called...

Dragon Ball Kai

As pointed out on Kanzentai, the kanji 改 means "renewed" or "revised". I personally find it interesting that, if they were going to give it a new name in the first place, they didn't go with something like Shin DragonBall Z, as said kanji has popped up in a variety of products over the years (like Shin Butôden and Shin Budôkai, so perhaps that alone would have led to too much confusion). The "Z" appears to be dropped completely, but this will indeed be the DBZ TV series (at least for now; there has been no word on any other DB series receiving a similar treatment).

There is not a whole lot of additional information, but you will notice that the two screen shots in the image are indeed semi-cropped, similar to FUNimation's "faux"-remastered boxsets. Keeping in mind that Toei's promotional materials for the "Dragon Box" versions of the movies are all shown in 4:3 despite the products being 16:9, we should not yet jump to any conclusions. At the same time, it will/would be incredibly disheartening to see Toei go such a cheap route. However, we did receive word from our buddy Wasted Wisher way back when that:

it seems that TOEI is going to be re-drawing some scenes from Dragonball for broadcast on high-def tv. The touch-ups will include some re-done background art (most likely to broaden certain scenes for widescreen)
Will it be a combination of cropping and actual extension, as opposed to FUNimation's sets which did not create actual new footage? I suppose we will have to wait until April 5th...!

Wasted Wisher hasn't led us wrong in the past yet, so we have faith that the trend continues!

The upcoming "refreshed" version of DBZ being produced in HD for Japanese television (now called Dragon Ball Kai, so we'll just call it that from here-on-out) will apparently have the following new content going for it:

- A brief look at the last moments of Bardock and Planet Vegeta
- An overview of young Goku's growing up years (Dragonball, the pre-Z period) up until his triumph over Piccolo at the Tenkaichi-Budokai.
- The all-too-brief and yet still somewhat triumphant return of FARMER WITH A SHOTGUN!

And sadly (although that really all depends on how you look at things...)
- Goku's winky has disappeared!

That's right, through the miracle of "we're just not gonna draw it anymore", Li'l Goku is no longer going to be allowed to show off "Even Littler Goku" on TV. But don't worry, they won't do anything so blatant as to digitize tighty-whiteys on him.
There ya' go. We're pretty confident with the inside-scoop, but we'll see for sure how it plays out on April 5th.
Source: Ibid.

kei17 has a fresh V-Jump scan for us with even more information on the upcoming DragonBall Kai:

The opening stuff is the standard fare we have come to expect from the earlier announcements (like "Commemorating the 20th Anniversary of the Start of Dragon Ball Z's Broadcast!" and "The Son Goku Legend, Once More!! And its name is... DRAGON BALL KAI"). However, the interesting material appears under the header "The four points that make up the world of "Kai"!":

• The story will be developed speedily!
    "Kai" starts from the invasion of the Saiyans. This version will be re-edited to hew more closely to Akira Toriyama's original story, so the story's development will progress all the faster!
  • The opening and ending songs will be completely renewed!!
    The opening and ending songs will together be made anew! Furthermore, in "Kai", the background music will be newly recorded. Let's enjoy "Kai", where even the music has been powered up!!
  • Through digital processing, the image will be made vibrant!!
    All the grime, damage and noise remaining on the "Z" film will be removed! In HD, the image will be even clearer. We've carefully made the ultra-powerful "Kai" world even more impressive!
  • An all-star voice cast will record the lines anew!!
    The original main cast, centered around Masako Nozawa as Son Goku, will reunite, yo. They'll breathe life into the characters again, to support their appeal!!
So there you go. We once again are left with just as many questions as we have answers, but we're heading in the right direction. While it doesn't blatantly say, "Yes, we are specifically cutting down filler material", it heavily implies something along those lines. We just have the phrasing "renewed" for the music, without any confirmation on whether or not it's Shunsuke Kikuchi's original score as-is but re-recorded to match the higher fidelity of the newly-recorded voices, or if it's a completely new adaptation of that score. Along those same lines, the true nature of the OP/ED themes are up in the air.

We won't leave you hanging with that, though. Our buddy Wasted Wisher popped in again with a couple additional remarks:

Don't know anything about the intro and ending song yet, or anything past episode 1. All of the scenes that were being worked on so far are not being cropped...in fact, quite the reverse, they're being extended. The old format of the original footage is too small to fit the standard frame sizes used for anime nowadays. So all the artwork has to be extended outwards to fit the new frame sizes; this includes both the animation itself and the background art.
Source: Ibid.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
this is geting interesting :)
DragonBall Kai Music News
VegettoEX @ 8:40 am EST -- kei17 (who else?!) dropped in with a new Jump scan that gives a little more information on the music for the upcoming DragonBall Kai.

Both the (new) opening and ending themes will be performed by Takayoshi Tanimoto, known for theme song performances in shows like Konjiki no Gash Bell!!. The new opening is called "Dragon Soul" and the new closing is called "Yeah! Break! Care Break!" (both of which are written out in English). There is no word on whether these two songs will last the entire length of the series, or if there will be a theme song shift for the Buu portion of the series as it was originally done.

Also provided on the page is a list of all of the original seiyû for the series. Interestingly, Tenshinhan is not included on this list at all, providing no further information on a possible (more formal) replacement for the late Hirotaka Suzuoki. While Tenshinhan was played by Eiji Takamoto in Sparking! METEOR, Tenshinhan did not appear in the recent Jump Anime Tour Special, and there have been no further appearances of the character to be voiced. Neither "Kame-Sen'nin" or "Muten-Roshi" are listed on the page, either, so it will be interesting to see which of the many voices ends up taking over the role (though it will most likely be Hiroshi Masuoka).

The characters listed are:
Son Goku & Son Gohan (Masako Nozawa)
Bulma (Hiromi Tsuru)
Kuririn (Mayumi Tanaka)
Yamcha (Tôru Furuya)
Oolong (Naoki Tatsuta)
Chiaotzu (Hiroko Emori)
Gyû-Maô (Daisuke Gôri)
Chi-Chi (Naoko Watanabe)
Kami-sama (Takeshi Aono)
Piccolo (Toshio Furukawa)
Raditz (Shigeru Chiba)
Vegeta (Ryô Horikawa)
Freeza (Ryûsei Nakao)
Narration (Jôji Yanami)

All have their expected performers (with the exception of Chi-Chi's second voice doing the earlier parts of the series where it was originally Mayumi Shô), so this (again) leaves us with more questions than answers.

There is no confirmation on whether or not the full background music score will be a replacement of Shunsuke Kikuchi's original work or if it will be an enhnacement of that work.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Huh, thats weird that their doing this.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've only read the main post, so let me know if this has already been pointed out, but the article said that this would be aired on Television? If it's in America, what channel will it be on?

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I've only read the main post, so let me know if this has already been pointed out, but the article said that this would be aired on Television? If it's in America, what channel will it be on?
dosnt really matter, its gona be allover the internet within 12 howers after the first episode is relesed,

anyway they have a website

http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tv/dragon_kai/

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Not wanting to sound rude here, but I have seen a few new "remastered" episodes of Dragonbal Z. And I must say, I very dislike the japanese music they used.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

Oh, don't mind me.

I'm just milking Dragonball for all it's worth, and more.

afaik, they should leave DB alone. It was great but it's going to end on a very bad note and leave a sour taste in everyone's mouth if they keep milking it.

But, I hold my judgement until I've seen a remastered episode.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom