Animations for blocking Ki Attacks

Best answers
I was just thinking it'd be cool if the animation used to block a ki attack depended on how strong it was in comparison to you.

If it was a strong attack that you'd have a slim chance of winning against, then you'd put one foot behind you and the other in front to brace, hip turned to the side, arched over, and two hands up and out wide to block it.

If it was a moderate attack, you'd hold both hands straight out in front of you with the hip facing forward, partially hunched, and one of your feet arched behind you.

If it was a weak attack, you'd stand up straight with your hip turned to the side, holding one hand out. Instead of instantly deflecting attacks, you could have 1 second to re-aim it and fire it. I think deflections are more useful if you're swooping or moving towards them.

I'm wondering now if different types of blocks could be possible. ;)

Maybe one meant to receive the hit and minimize the damage. It would work like Gohan's Shield, draining Ki and Stamina at a level dependent on the strength of the attack. It would immediately drain your Ki and Stamina to that certain extent to block it; it wouldn't be a long block. The damage could be negated, maybe completely. PL would determine the amount of damage taken.

The other block would be meant to push it back/counter attack, like it stands now. It could give an option against a beam to, once blocked enough, charge a beam to counter it and enter into a struggle so they can't get away scott free.

These two blocks could vary the conditions of the above as well, so one would deflect and the other would return it. Just an afterthought though. :)

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Sorry but as it seems. We are reaching the animation limit for half life as it is. Doubt we have enough space for extra blocking animations.

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Depends how the finished animation number looks :s

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
It's over 9000!
Funny you should say that. The DBKai ep with that was just this week. And it seems the number was 8000 and not 9000.

In any case it would look cool i give you that XD

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
As awesome as this sounds, we've just basically hit the animation cap, so it's hard to add animations to the list. :(

sub

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
There's no way around the animation limit?

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Unfortunately, I don't think so. :-/

sub

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
What I'm about to post is probably not possible, but ...

Couldn't you do a model swap similar to that of a transformation? As far as I know, model swaps are instant and you can have half of your animations on model A, half of them on model B.

So SSJGokuA would have most of the animations, SSJGokuB would then have any animations that couldn't fit on model A. You'd swap model A for B whenever an animation on B is called for. Granted, that's probably too complicated / not even worth it to do, but would that be possible?

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Mmm... I'm not sure exactly.. it might be possible. DT would probably know, so I'll ask him when I see him on.

sub

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
It's probably more of a coding question, but yeah.

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Alright, I just asked him and he said it's possible with code and possibly with the FX system. If the only solution is doing it by code then I highly doubt we'll be doing that since Raven doesn't want to do it.

sub

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Ah. I didn't think it would be worth it, I was just wondering if that would be possible to do. Thanks for the answer

edit: Come to think about it, that would probably make it hell to put custom models into ESF

Last edited:
Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
@ Sub : Thats a cool workaround, but yeah, it would easily become a clusterf**k.

I would like to see a genball parry like when Kid Buu and Goku are firing volleys at each other - using both hands to guide the attack underneath you whilst jumping over it, the ball essentially not changing direction. Would be very fun when you know you have someone behind you XD

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Ofcourse its possible.

But it wouldnt look to great. Your model would dissapear reapear for a moment when the model would change.

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
If we have 2 models for all 40 forms, thats 80 models, it'd also be loading twice as many textures into the gpu memory, this is why we can't use that method :|

Best answers
That's too bad. I guess we'll have to include this after ESF: Final, like when we come out with ESF: Kings of Kai for HL2. ;)

Hey I have a great idea here. Lets change all of the melee animations into blocking animations. Problem solved!

New melee move added: Stiff Arm

But seriously, maybe we can use the same animation for more than one thing. That way it'd be all about coding.

Last edited:
Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I would still like to see a parry like the one Goku uses here against Buu's second genball ...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6y2i31SlVY&feature=related[/ame]

For arguments sake, lets say you are blocking a genball headon, and hold S (or Backwards). Its one animation for each character, and they could all have their own style. Its basically a move to contort the body around the ball to dodge, allowing the ball to continue in its direction of travel...

I think its a shame we cant have Buu 'open' a hole in his gut to allow the ball to pass through though ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom