Anim8or - Free Modeling/Animating Prog

Best answers
http://www.anim8or.com/main/index.html

I have just discovered this program and tried it out. I haven't tried the animating but I tried the modeling, and it seems decent. I've used MS3D and 3DSM, so I think this program is good to start out with. Not that complicated, and can help get you started with the more... advanced stuff.
However, the renders look very plastic-ey. The program itself is 1.38MB, and it's only a single application with no other files.

I would be happy if one of the more advanced modelers out there could try it out and give their comments on it? >_>

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I would try it.. but nah.

Also, if you're an ultra noobie, forget pirating MilkShape 3D and 3dsmax. Get this. Its free legally, and will help you more than MS3D.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
this programm is ood... i wouldnt recommend to start with it..

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
neither would i i would recomend to pirate milkshape like the rest of us and be a good boy :p

Best answers
i used to use it for render,man,what was i thinking o_O.i havent tried out the modeling or animating part.can you get some models ingame with this prog?

Best answers
Probably not. There is no exporting option and such, so it's basically worthless for game models.

I just like to screw around with things, it's fun :D

Edit:

Don't expect too much out of this. MS3D has great import/export capabilities and 3DSM is much more powerful.
This can be useful... for... modeling toys that can never be put in games >_>

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
owell only one guy worked on this programm and he started with it 1999...so i gues its a well done work ;)
but not good enough for gaming industries.
thought he doesnt give his sdk out.. so no exporters and compilers can be created...

Best answers
lol. Not enough support for this program to bother learning it.

Save your money and get a more mainstream program imo.

Best answers
Welp, it's free, and you don't need to learn much :D

But I can see many improvements to make te tools easier to use...
3DSM is fun

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
When are people going to realize that XSI has a fully functional free version of SoftImage ? I've done soem modeling with it and once you get used to the interface it's gold.

http://www.softimage.com/products/Mod/v4/

IT's an older version of their software but it's completely free, unless they've changed it since i got it. It's definately worth a try!

Best answers
Ah ha, you bring up a good point Teknik :D

I've tried XSI before, and his words speak the truth.
But... once I formatted my computer I never got this program again o_O
Thanks for reminding me

Best answers
Modeling

Hi, I would like to create a model for ESF 1.2.3. Is it useful and easy to do it with softimage? Is there also a tutorial that explains it from the beginning until the end? If I finished the model, what do I have to do to start playing with it?

Thanks

The Saiyan

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
if your only interested in modelling for half life (esf), go and pick up milkshape

its a bit more primitive than XSI, but i highly doubt youd be able to do everything you have to do to put a model ingame with the XSI package alone.

milkshape has the modelling/uvmapping/rigging/ and exporting functions necessary to put a model ingame for esf.

look for the "csgirl" tut. it will tell you everything you need to know

Best answers
Modeling (2)

Thanks, I have milkshape. I want to make a Goku saiyan armor pack for all forms (normal Goku, SSJ, SSJ2,SSJ3) that works for ESF 1.2.3, but I don't know how. I had follow the tut on http://www.esf-world.com/main.php?content=model_tut1. But it explains it half. I don't know how to continue. What I want to know is:
1) A good tut for doing this model.
2) The programs I need to do the model (I have Milkshape 1.7.6).
3) When I finished the model, what do I have to do for using this model in the game?

The cs girl tut is very useful, but its for counterstrike, and I don't know how to take the skeleton for ESF 1.2.3. This is the skeleton for counterstrike (http://www.dosfx.com/tutorials/csgirl/csgirl003.asp).

I thank you very much.

The Saiyan

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
decompile the mdl file of the character you wish to replace and simply import the skeleton.

if the characters filename was goku.mdl, after decompiling there will be alot of .smd files. look for the one called goku.smd

import that one and deselect the triangles in the next popup. this will import the skeleton you need

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
tools>half life>decompile MDL file

Best answers
Models

Thanks, but the only thing I have to do is change the head of Goku for another head of Goku SSJ2. Can I do it in a shorter way? Or do I have to begin from the beginning like the tut of csgirl?

Thanks for your help

The Saiyan

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well if you are just swapping heads, all youd have to do is this

>decompiled the model you want to put the head on, keep all boxes checked
>import that models reference file (goku.smd) uncheck "rename all bones"
>select and delete his head

-now-

>decompile the model with the head you want, (if it is compiled, if not skip this step)
>uncheck everything but reference and textures on this box
>with the first model open select all of it and hide all the peices,
>import/merge the new model with the head you want
>delete all but his head
>scale and move it to its proper location if it is not already there
> assign it to the skeletons head bone, (it explains how to do this in the csgirl tut)
>move all of the models head textures into the same folder as the one you decompiled in the first step

now re-export it over the goku smd you imported previously, and do
"tools>half life>compiled qc file" if everything went right it, that should do it.

i may have missed a step or 2 though, i do this crap all of the time so i do most of it without even thinking about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom