And I thought Mahoromatic's ending was bad

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How can such a light-hearted anime go so wrong? I mean, Lain is an example of a show that made no logical sense from beginning to end. But I saw Mahoromatic a long time ago and until the end, everything was fun.

Now...here comes Evangelion. I don't want to spoil it for everyone, but I'll have to say I have never seen such absolute rubbish in my life. It's like the writers sat around one day and one person jumped up saying:

"Hey! Here's an idea! Lets change this comical, yet action filled sci-fi anime into one where the main character gains the power to completely alter reality and everything and everyone is killed! And for good measure, lets make one of the leading ladies become a type of god as well and completely mess up the earth!"

I can just see his companions cheering at this god-awful idea. I'm sorry, but I can't bring myself to like an anime that ends on such an illogical note. Hell, can you even call that an ending?

I mean, Mahoromatic made SLIGHT sense in its ending. And Lain was never intended to make any sense. Evangelion.....just made a complete U-Turn.

God...now I'm depressed, and I'm passed all the good-feelingness in Grandia 2. I need something to make me smile, damn it! Got some funny harem anime titles on the way through torrent but it wont be for another few days!

Ugh....it's sunday afternoon and I feel depressed. What a bad day. Thanks Evangelion. I really appreciate it.

Evangelion first half = 7/10
Evangelion last half = 2/10
Evangelion ending = rubbish/10

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
actually lain does make sense if you watch it carefully enough.

and in eva, no character became a god. and when i saw it no one ever had the power to alter reality. no one ever said a story had to have a happy ending. everyone dies and you are left with 2 angels

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
*SPOILERS, WATCH OUT!*

I liked the ending. Ya it's not the happiest ending, but who cares. It provided closure to the entire series, it shed light on all the inner workings of NERV and SEELE, and explained why everything happened the way it did. The anime was never supposed to be a comical light-hearted anime. I admit, the start is much more light-hearted then later on, but it's not like it just suddenly switches to ultra-depressive mode, it slowly changes that way as events begin to unravel and SEELE's plan comes to a head.

Also, Shinji couldn't alter reality, and Rei did not turn into a god. Rei took Adam from Gendo and then merged with Lilith, whilst Shinji became the catalyst for the Third-Impact. Gendo wanted Rei to take him with her so he could complete the Instrumentality project, and have everyone as one being, so he could be with his wife again (or something like that, i haven't seen the show in a long time, so I can't quite remember), but Rei went by herself and instead chose Shinji as the catalyst. He ultimately had the decision on whether or not the instrumentality project would be completed.

To me that looks like a pretty understandable ending. Of course, the show did still leave lots to interpretation, why was only Shinji and Asuka left at the end? Is anyone else alive? What happens next? There's lots of interpretations on why this happened, its the nature of the show, but the ending still explains the reasoning behind everything that happened in the show and provides sufficient closure.

So ya, you can still hate it for whatever reason, that's fine. But the ending did make perfect sense. It's just a complicated show, and I know people who've had to re-watch it a few times to fully understand it. But either way, it still made sense.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you think NGE was just a "light-hearted" action comedy romp, then you obviously didn't get the show. At all. This wasn't supposed to be Tenchi Muyo with giant robots or something. In fact it's hardly a giant robot anime; it's all about the characters, human nature, etc. And it's stuffed like a thanksgiving turkey with dark/religious/conspiracy undertones.

And the ending made complete sense, although the plot is admittedly hard to grasp (sure took me a while.) If you have any questions, ask

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom