And here comes Call of Duty 2

Best answers
I THINK NOT... i bet dod is better... since ive played it.... i should try cod 2/

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Call of Duty. The only World War II game that stood out in all these years, to me.

The single player experience in that game was so phenomenal I left it installed ever since as an homage. Heh.

CM

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Will check it out. I remember being stunned by the COD1 demo.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
CM said:
Will check it out. I remember being stunned by the COD1 demo.
I was so amazed I went and bought it the next day. The only reason it wasnt a same day affair was because the stores were closed. I was blown away be how cinematic it was as you came up to that town. The mortars blowing up all around you while bullets whiz past. You could see the machine guns fire from the buildings ahead of you as you dashed madly towards cover.

Man, I cant wait...

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Man, the part where you play as a Russian and the Nazis are on top of a hill shooting their mg' at you was ****ing awesome.

I'll get CoD2 even if its only as good as the first one (in this case, "only as good" means phenomenal).

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just played it, and it owns Call of Duty. How?

Skirmish, around 5 vs 5, we got ground, they got building. I could actually HEAR soldiers shouting: 'Reloading, cover me!' then watching my guys focus their ammo on near targets to the reloadee.

Another thing, one shouted: 'Second floor, Left window!'. i could see this was not scripted as each time I played it, he said it at different times, or didn't say it at all. While some shoutings were scripted (Near the start, where you are pinned by MG42's, your commanding officer tells you to take the right flank), I believe that this is just ownage.

Graphics are superb even on my cheap X600 PRO, as shown:

One thing I also liked, is that you had no health bar, and you see your ammo once you change weapons. I like this more, as your focus is on the battle, not how much ammo or health you have. There is also a grenade warning icon, which shows you nearby thrown 'nades.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Man, that was intense. Not as cinematic as the first (just the demos here), but still wicked awesome. It said X360 at the end credits, so Im thinking I just get me one of those rather than a new GPU to run this.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah it's a shame. I had to run it on DX7 mode to get it at a playable framerate. Even then, it's beautiful, and ran like butter, though.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
Yeah it's a shame. I had to run it on DX7 mode to get it at a playable framerate. Even then, it's beautiful, and ran like butter, though.
Hmm... Ill have to try that. What did that change?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not much. Mostly lighting. Dropped the FPS to 20 max, but the level was riddled with dynamic lighting.

It looked like a prettied up redux of the original CoD, if you want a frame of reference. All the particle effects were still there from the gunfire and impact and stuff.

Add that plus a monstrous and solid 100fps for me and I was sold. heh.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I didn't know there were 2 WWII's.

But none the less. COD1 just plain pwned, and I loved the game. As a matter of fact, it was, is, and always be my favorite wwII game. I hope I like COD2 just as much, or more.

The fact you don't see your health or how much ammo you have is awsome.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was quite suprised to see levels outside of Europe or the Pacific. Im looking forward to seeing what all they include. But Egypt... wow, I did not see that coming.

I thought the airbattle that was going on over the desert should have continued through the battle for the city, but it was still pretty sweet.

Thanks for the tip on the directX Pride, it runs much smoother now. My 9800
ran on DX7 with great framerate for 1024*768, which I had been using for the non-DX7 settings. Cant wait to try it with higher res, but alas, Im at school.

Best answers
Call of Duty. The only World War II game that stood out in all these years, to me.
The single player experience in that game was so phenomenal I left it installed ever since as an homage. Heh.
I know how you feel. Call of Duty GOTY edition is one of the only games I've vowed never to get rid of. Despite the heavily scripted single player, I still find myself returning to play through it time and time again.
I can barely express the relief I had after playing the demo, and realising that its lived up to everything that CoD was. I was kind of worried about the console influences (the console Call of Duty was terrible) but everything seems to have remained intact.
Now I've just got to decide whether to buy a new graphics card and get it on release day, or wait until Christmas and get it for the 360. To be honest, I don't think I can wait that long :D

Out of interest, does anyone know the release date for the PC version?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom