AMD Radeons?

Best answers
According to Megagames.com, AMD has decided to completly drop the ATi brand name.
Megagames said:
Previously on Megagames

AMD has announced that it will be dropping the ATI brand although it has not yet been decided if the ATI product names will also be dropped.

AMD has launched an offensive to inform everyone that the ATI deal was not a merger but rather, a takeover and as a result the ATI brand will soon cease to exist. When asked about the product names and whether they will be changed an AMD spokesperson said, "...we haven't made any final decisions yet, but I'd personally be very surprised if we dropped any of those product names. The ATI company name is definitely going, though."

ATI's Chris Hook commented, "I don't have a personal emotional attachment to it [the ATI name], one way or another. I think the important thing is that we're going to make good products. ATI may be gone, but certainly lots of discussion is going to come over the next few days about the rest of our brands and their strengths. "

So there you have it, expect a brand spanking new AMD Radeon at a store near you... soon.

Update:
AMD has gone into frantic back peddle mode as it has intervened to dismiss reports by some AMD and ATI employees claiming that the ATI brand name would be dropped. The company however, seems to be contradicting itself on exactly what its branding policy will be.

An AMD spokesperson today tried to clear things up by stating: 'AMD has no plans to drop the ATI brand name or ATI's product brands. The ATI name will live on at AMD as our leading consumer brand, and so will the Radeon brand and other ATI product brands. AMD's executive management knows very well the power and value of branding, and ATI's branding is some of the most valued in the global technology industry. As such, we plan to keep it. Period. "

This statement should be enough to dismiss any rumor of an end to the ATI name but just as we were getting settled into life with ATI another AMD employee, Gareth Carter, claimed: "The new company will be called AMD ... the future branding of individual products and platforms will be determined at a later point in time. "

What is clear from these statements is that nothing is clear but we hope AMD can get its employees, from both companies, to agree to some basic strategy soon; after all, they will need to make packaging decisions soon.
Interesting. I expected AMD to keep ATi's brand name. With all the contradicting statements though it's hard to tell what AMD's plans really are for it's new aquisition, ATi.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was just reading this on the inquirer a few miniutes ago
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33567
Fanbois lobby to keep ATI brand alive

Vegemitezilla

By Adamson Rust: Wednesday 09 August 2006, 11:39
NEARLY FIVE hundred fanbois have signed an online petition to keep the ATI brand name alive, AMD Zone reports.

You might think it's totally extraordinary that people would get so excited about a brand, but we're assured by cool Terry Makedon from ATI that feelings run at fever pitch about graphics card product.

He told the INQ recently that fans are so loyal that they'll do the weirdest things to support the Reds (ATI) over the Greens (Nvidia).

Such as this clip on YouTube showing a young man licking a vegemite ATI logo off another man's naked torso.

Sheesh kebab!
Personally I would prefer them to keep the ATI branding, I don't think nvidia would like that very much ethier, and considering their making chipsets for AMD processors, they wouldn't like to hear the name of their rival as AMD in the video card sector of the market.

Best answers
Nvidia's Future doesnt look to great, but ATI stated that nothing will change for about 12 months. Which means anything can happen, And it doesnt look like Nvidia isnt going to get alot of help from Intel. So We can only hope for the best. Competition is good. And the ATI/Nvidia competition gave us low prices, and better technology faster. Lets hope it continues.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2807&p=3

The Manufacturing & Design Advantage

Currently both ATI and NVIDIA have to turn to third party manufacturers to produce both their chipsets and GPUs. If this acquisition were to go through, AMD could eventually begin manufacturing some chipsets or GPUs for ATI. By manufacturing components in house, ATI would be able to enjoy a cost advantage over competing NVIDIA products (especially if ATI is simply using leftover capacity at older fabs that are awaiting transition to smaller manufacturing processes). ATI could potentially begin to release GPUs using newer process technologies before the competition as well, reducing die size and increasing clock speeds at the same time.

Manufacturing aside, there's also this idea that companies like AMD and Intel are better at designing silicon because they work on a more granular level with the design. There's far more custom logic in Intel's Core 2 Duo than in NVIDIA's GeForce 7900 GTX; ATI would gain access to AMD's entire portfolio of custom logic and may be able to implement some of it in its upcoming GPUs, giving ATI a performance and efficiency advantage over NVIDIA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom