AM2 - When to make the switch?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I am wondering when I should completely upgrade my system to AM2. I have a 939 right now and it's not a top notch system (1gb ram, 3200 64 bit). The prices are dropping and I don't know if I should do it now, or wait and do it.

Best answers
AMD is coming out with a new architecture soon, not sure when, but if your starved for a gaming system, then upgrade now.

It's never a bad time to upgrade, unless you buy the highest end video card for $1000.00 only to have it rendered obselate by a new video card in 1 month.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
AMD is coming out with a new architecture soon, not sure when, but if your starved for a gaming system, then upgrade now.

It's never a bad time to upgrade, unless you buy the highest end video card for $1000.00 only to have it rendered obselate by a new video card in 1 month.
Completely wrong. Now is an utterly terrible time to upgrade. When the dx10 cards and other things come out the "top of the line" stuff now is going to go down to dirt cheap.

Really if you want to upgrade for gaming its better off to hold off and wait. If you are cheap then things will get a lot cheaper soon and if you want teh powar then things will get way better soon as well.

Best answers
Completely wrong.
Can anyone around here not say something completely rude, and just say instead, "I disagree?"

Just slap another gig of memory into your system, and you will notice an improvement in your games. But wait a little bit of time (a couple months perhaps) before you decide how to proceed.

During the summer season I tend to see lower prices.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just slap another gig of memory into your system, and you will notice an improvement in your games.
Not always. Sometimes it can be better to just leave it alone. For one thing, we don't know his current specs, so that's not a wise suggestion.

My advice: post your system specs so we can help you plan your upgrade path.

Best answers
Not always. Sometimes it can be better to just leave it alone. For one thing, we don't know his current specs, so that's not a wise suggestion.

My advice: post your system specs so we can help you plan your upgrade path.
That is true, and it's true that this solution might not work. I was kinda just giving advice that worked for myself.

I was playing The Matrix Online, went from 512MB to 1GB and noticed a drastic difference. Went from 1GB to 2GB and never had any further issues with performance. That was a couple years ago, and I've upgraded since then, but, back then it was a definite improvement.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Always get the best you can afford, For instance you could always stick with the 939 Mobo, And pick up a cheap Athlon 64 X2 Dual core processor :)
Then you could keep your DDR ram.
When Socket AM2 was released, it was actually slightly slower, I'm not sure what the performance is like now though.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Always get the best you can afford, For instance you could always stick with the 939 Mobo, And pick up a cheap Athlon 64 X2 Dual core processor :)
Then you could keep your DDR ram.
When Socket AM2 was released, it was actually slightly slower, I'm not sure what the performance is like now though.
They've pulled ahead slightly, am3 will be much much faster.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Here are my specs:
CPU - AMD 3200+ 64 Bit 2.0ghz
Mobo - ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe Crossfire 3200
Video Card - ATI 1900xtx 512mb
Ram - 2x512 mb Corsair pc3200
Sound Card - SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
Power supply - Antec TRUEPOWERII 550w

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That machine is still pretty beefy, I'd wait till AM3 comes out to upgrade. If you absolutely need to upgrade, you can hit up another gb of ram. To do that however, I would suggest getting to 1GB paired sticks with low latency.

Best answers
Yea, you have no reason to upgrade with that system.

Best answers
Isn't that what I said? ;)

No :p Unless you're talking to Cuc, then yea. This is a lot edit, do do do, editing more... humh... ~Smiff

So yeah, up the RAM and you'll be fine. :D

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Here are my specs:
CPU - AMD 3200+ 64 Bit 2.0ghz
Mobo - ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe Crossfire 3200
Video Card - ATI 1900xtx 512mb
Ram - 2x512 mb Corsair pc3200
Sound Card - SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
Power supply - Antec TRUEPOWERII 550w
The only thing you could do is buy a second hand 939 CPU which is faster, but dont spend too much on it.

Everything in this system will be useless when AM3(Or if your planning to take a Core Duo) comes out. The only parts that you can prolly use in your future system, will be the PSU, VGA and sound card.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
They've pulled ahead slightly, am3 will be much much faster.
It may be much faster, It maybe much slower, Not something thats un-heard of, But because the new platform has been released there is no hard evidence of this.

The Athlon 64 3200+ still has some kicking left in its hide, But it is indeed your CPU and lack memory thats holding your system back, Make the jump to Dual Core, Should give you some more vital years in gaming :)

Heres some cheapy Chipys' I could recommend:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103596
Dual Core Opty Goodness :) 2.2ghz 1Mb of L2 Cache.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103037
Athlon 64 4000+

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103627
Athlon 64 4600+ X2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103559
Athlon FX-57 Unlocked multiplier = Uber overclocks.

Wouldn't you want Intel for a gaming PC? They are owning the **** out of AMD as far as i know.
It depends, If you already have the mobo, DDR ram etc, Your system is already doing what you want but just require a little bit more grunt, then it makes sense to stick to the platform and shell out a little bit of money? Anyhow I think AMD is currently owning Intel in the low end Athlon 64 Market right about now.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It may be much faster, It maybe much slower, Not something thats un-heard of, But because the new platform has been released there is no hard evidence of this.
While this is true, the goal is to get the AMD cores to use DDR3 Ram, which has lower latency than DDR2 (or so we are told). This is the basic problem with AMD and DDR2, and caused the first AM2 systems to suffer in comparison to their 939 counterparts. Newer systems with DDR2 800 worked much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom